Dyer (SoccerNet): Senses hate from BS Already

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Simon Birch, Aug 4, 2006.

1. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    ....sorry Dyer we don't care as much about you as you may think.

2. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    i think it is fantastic that writers are starting their pieces with:

-------
    I can sense the hate mail already. I'm really not looking forward to the angry posts on BigSoccer either.
    -------

they care about the fans, which is nice.

3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Yawn. So he wants to see more players with weird hair. Whatever...

I don't really get it anyway. Players like Dempsey, DeRo, Adu, Jaime Moreno, Shalrie Joseph, Ronnie O'Brien and Joe Cannon, to name a few, are not stars or they somehow lack flair? He actually listed J. Moreno in his description of star players of "yesteryear". Now he is suddenly not a "star"?

4. Pyro

Pyro Member

Apr 18, 2000
    Fulton River District
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has a point, but so what. As he said, the overall quality of the league has risen. Isn't that the important part? The intriuge around a game like this is the measurement of MLS quality against the best in the world. This format works!

5. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Donovan, Dempsey, Joseph, Reis, Twellman, Razov, Bornstein, Guzan, Palencia and company will all be in California.

However, he didn't mention that some teams weren't participating because of league games and/or injuries. :rolleyes: :eek:

6. Musclehogs

Musclehogs New Member

Aug 4, 2006
    i agree with him the best players in mls go to europe and are mediocre, thats not stars

7. FC Uptown

FC Uptown New Member

Feb 3, 2006
    H-town
    He sounds old.

8. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think the piece was too bad. A good part of me wished that the All-Star Game wouldn't feature the MLS All-Stars playing world beaters like Chelsea, but rather stick to having these super-clubs coming here in preseason to play our individual MLS club teams. I get much more excitement from the idea of Chelsea coming to play DC United or Barca playing RBNY than I do from Chelsea coming to match-up against our All-Stars.

In my opinion, this particular MLS All-Star Game format somewhat takes away from the celebration of the league (on its own) and its best players for the fans in that it becomes a game in which our league tries to legitimize itself to the world. And what really can be gained out of this? If the All-Stars win, it will look nice and all, sure, but it'll be said that Chelsea is in its preseason and not playing this as a competative match. If Chelsea wins, it won't look great for the league for the same reasons (and it's hard to throw out a bunch of players who don't normally play together against world-class talent and expect to win). And the question will be are people be tuning in more for the spectacle of seeing the best of MLS playing (which is what an All-Star game is usually about), or more for the chance to see Chelsea FC run out and show their stuff?

9. Fan123

Fan123 Member

Jun 3, 2006
    He hits a point no one wants to admit, but it is true. Then again, it is called the MLS All-Stars - meaning stars by MLS standards. (I hate the All-Stars title, why couldn't they think of something else? Reminds me too much baseball.)

10. Banal Minutia

Banal Minutia New Member

Apr 17, 2005
    New Jersey
    He actually makes a strong point and I know someone mentioned that alot of guys are out of the game, i think he knows (by his first two sentences) that we know that and it is implied but still not really substantial to the overall point. I agree with him, that although these guys are quality players there is a lacking of STAR power....(adu fans keep quiet for 10 mins) I mean yes the mls is better for developing its own players but having the nowaks and valderammas in the old games was something to truly get excited about....

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Why is that a bad thing?

Most American sports fans are fans of many sports. If soccer wants to hit the big time in this country, it certainly won't be on the backs of "soccer only" fans.

12. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I only have a problem with two things

First I despise out right lying.

But I don't expect much from the same guy who claimed Edson Buddle was a drug addict without providing any evidence or chance for Edson to respond to said charge.

Second, while he has the right to his opinion, to me it's just nastalgia. Gomez, Palencia, Garcia, O'Brien, Ruiz, and Guevara(in the rare instances he doesn't have his head fimly planted in his ass) are just as enjoyable to watch and as skilled as Etch, Cien, John, Valdarrama, and Nowak. And personally I think Jamie Moreno is a better player now, then in his earlier years as well.

The real problem is why hasn't MLS and the individual teams done what is necassary to make these players household names? Although I suspect when they finally leave MLS, fans will be saying "Remember when Gomez and Ruiz played? The leauge had stars then."

13. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    Good article. Can't wait to see everyone get their panties in a bunch over this.

14. capitalist

capitalist New Member

Nov 13, 2004
    It'd be nice to have 200 more soccer writers like him

15. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Is Dr. J. playing?

16. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    That was a badly written article, he just kept repeating himself over and over again.

17. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Here's a thought:

Replace the all-star game with a game between the supporter's sheild winner from the previous season and whatever international team they decide to bring in. Put that game on ABC.

There will be a lot of bye weeks next year with 13 teams. It would be easy to arrange and allow other games to go on at the same time.

18. Globalusation

Globalusation New Member

May 17, 2006
    NY
    what? he expects us to read that long piece of shit when he's crying over a name what a dumbass

and if he's insisting on a new name for a game then they should also call journalists whiny douches cause alls they ever do is cry about pointless shit

19. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    The 720, y'all
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'm sure that some posters here at BigSoccer enjoy Aimer's pathetic attention whoring also, but it's still just pathetic attention whoring.

20. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    The 720, y'all
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who would be the MLS representative this year?

(And no, it wouldn't be the team that you're about to say, since their all-time record as of April was 0-0-0.)

21. Fan123

Fan123 Member

Jun 3, 2006
    I loathe baseball. That's why. If people likes soccer, they'll like it. If they don't, they're not gonna like it. MLS is trying to be something it's not, or not there yet.

22. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    She still around?

23. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Obviuosly, they would scramble and make the decision the day before the game.

You're right, lousy idea.

24. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like your idea, particularly if an appearance fee (to be shared amongst the players) is paid to the Supporter's Shield winner to reward them for last season's achievement.

Houston, of course, since their players earned it.