DVD Review: SoccerU

Discussion in 'Coach' started by markb57, Sep 21, 2009.

1. ManU0-1Leeds

ManU0-1Leeds New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Hertfordshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: DVD Review - soccerU ????

I can completely understand why you think you have to break down skills, I used to coach that way and still occassionally do it that way if I think it is right for the child in question. I will say that questioning or using sounds with the athlete in a way that makes them think about their actions works better. Take a chip pass, the way that you guys would coach that would be to tell them to put their standing foot and have their kicking foot under the ball, lean back etc. Now what you tell them is not wrong, but for many it is too much too think about and can throw them off.
    TRY THIS NEXT TIME WITH SOMEONE WHO DOES NOT PLAY FOOTBALL, SUCH AS A MUM.
    1. Roll the ball to them and ask them to kick it back to your chest, do it 5 times.
    2. Now ask them to say whooosh as they kick it, do it 5 times.
    3. Now do it the way you would normally coach it.

I have done this numerous times and the majority of times either 1 or 2 have been the most sucessfull.
    Peter Beardsley was once asked to break down the dribble technique that he used to devastating effect, he could`nt, he just did it.

2. ranova

ranova Member

Aug 30, 2006

You are making a false assumption based on nothing I said. It would be reasonable to infer from what I said that I believe coaches need to understand proper technique well enough to spot errors, but I didn't say that I teach novices to strike the ball by developing competence in small pieces of the complete technique one piece at a time.

As for your example: I have never taught a novice how to chip the ball, although I do teach novices in general terms how to bend a ball when initially teaching how to strike the ball. (I use the "smiley face" analogy and talk about the point of contact). I think most of us coaches plan practices so that technique is developed in the context of the game, rather than in isolation. That has been a recommended practice for over thirty years that I know of. We introduce technique in an initial technical phase and then move to group play with various degrees of pressure for the majority of the practice time. The exception would be for very young children, whom you don't teach technique.

If you are basing your assumption on what Twenty26 posted, I happen to know from previous discussions that Twenty26 uses a game context to develop skills as well.

Finally its well accepted that learning is enhanced by involving as many senses as possible in the process. That for soccer translates into a verbal explanation, a visual demonstration, and then performance of the task.

3. ManU0-1Leeds

ManU0-1Leeds New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Hertfordshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I was not aiming that at 1 individual.

It was ussoccercoach who said "The answer is pretty simple.
    If YOU, the teacher, can't demostrate the skills to the players by breaking them down STEP BY STEP, they will never learn them."

I find the above comments silly, but it seems to be a wide spread view amongst coaches.

Thousands of kids never had any real training throughout their youth, but they were more than capable of playing the game to a good standard, because they played the game and learnt that way. Before anyone says they would have been even better with coaching, I would agree as long as it was coaching that allowed them to play a lot of football.

4. ranova

ranova Member

Aug 30, 2006

Perhaps he wasn't clear. How can a coach correct a technical deficiency if he cannot spot the error and then demonstrate the correct technique? To coach effectively the coach must conciously understand the various components of the technique and be able to demonstrate the various components. While for a normal group demonstrating the techique without breaking down the components may be effective for an initial introduction to a technique, a gestalt type of approach is much less effective for correcting individual errors.

5. ranova

ranova Member

Aug 30, 2006

Here is an example. I helped a 14-year old player with taking goal kicks. He was trying to use leg strength and running speed instead of proper technique to kick for distance. First I worked with him on his approach run, then striking the ball, and last his hip movement transfering his weight. In less than 30 minutes he went from struggling to accurate 40-50 yard kicks.

6. ussoccercoach

ussoccercoach New Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

First, it is not "a DVD", it is a full set of 6 disks. I think it is about 10 hours of so.
    Second, if you haven't watched them, then calling them a waste of money is a bit silly.
    Like I said, I own them, know several upper level coaches that also own them and the response is the same...
    They are the best tools a coach or parent can have to teach the "technical skills" needed in the game.
    Flair, creativity, experimentation????
    Yes, those come while playing the game, the street, and neighborhood pickup games, etc. However, core skills must be taught and learned.
    If you can't break them down step by step and know how to correct each and every problem, then you need to learn how. It is the only resource I have seen that does this.
    By the way, one of the biggest mistakes people make is thinking that the "greats of the time", never practiced or learned their skills. They just "played the game" and magically their skills appeared.
    Not so. The academies they went through focused HEAVILY on teaching core skills during the development years.
    Here is an example...
    Throw an air ball to your players.
    Ask them to perform a "cup trap" with both their left and right foot.
    Most don't even know what that is. (Nor do their coaches.)
    Yet you will see it performed 100's of times in every pro match.
    If you can't teach it, they won't learn it.
    There are VERY few DVDs that are REALLY worth it, this set is one of them.

7. markb57

markb57 Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Indiana

This thread drifted off into a philosophical debate about coaching and player development. My initial question was far more innocent:
    "Have you watched the series, and is it, for the most part correct?"
    My online searches suggest that this is NOT like a lot of other videos. I haven't seen any others that claim they break down advanced skills to their most basic steps. There are plenty that talk about "how to make a side of the foot pass", but few - maybe none - claim to break down and outside of the foot sweep turn.
    To repeat my initial question - "Have you seen this, and is it correct/good?"

THanks!

8. ussoccercoach

ussoccercoach New Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

1- Yes, I own it and also now have the version 2 which is the latest version.
    2- Yes, I know several other coaches and parents that also own it.
    3- Yes, the series is DEAD ON, if you want to train a player on ALL aspects of core technical skills, or learn the correct way to teach them to others.

I think it is important to understand that many people think you will get the series, pop it in, and in a couple of hours be a great trainer. Not so. It is VERY long, covers a huge amount of training and you'll have to dedicate time to it.
    However they did a great job of making sure that each skill was broken down step by step and shown in training as well. Most of the other dvds I watched just showed players doing "drills".
    I think the most valuable thing a coach can realize is that "coaching clinics", training and certifications, DON'T teach you skill training. (Even up to the very top.) They teach you how to "coach".
    Most people that make the statement "they become great just by playing" simply don't know how to teach skills.
    Humility is a very important aspect of becoming a great teacher / trainer. Understanding that you don't know it all, and must learn it to pass it on.
    This series humbled me even with 20+ years of coaching and 10 years of playing the game. I think that is pretty clear. Good luck.

9. markb57

markb57 Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Indiana

Thanks - exactly what I needed to know, usscch - and I couldn't agree more. I've been to a lot of coaching clinics and rarely hear any skill broken down to it's component parts, and I certainly haven't heard all the skills gone through in detail. I'm gonna see if our club will get this for me. Thanks again!

markb

10. markb57

markb57 Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Indiana

OK.... I have it now and I am working my way through it. I have watched about one and a half of DVDs of the series, which has six total videos. It is VERY deliberate -which is to say, broken down into very fine detail.....but in that sense it is very good. IMHO, for a lot of reasons the American player needs a lot of skills broken down into component parts. This won't be the case (I hope) in a 50 years when a lot of kids have been playing in the right environment since the cradle. The toughest part for a coach is "How do I build this into training sessions?", while the parent/neighbor with three or four young students of the game will find it ideal.

I'll report more as I watch the rest of it....

11. ussoccercoach

ussoccercoach New Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yep... What we learned is that most coaches are taught "how to coach" but very little "coach training" is devoted to actually understanding skills. Even the "C" course which is a week long residential course, does not devote time to teaching "skills". That's not what it's for.
    We also learned that that you must take a separate portion of you training time and devote it to "learning sessions". Trust me, it will take years, not days, to teach and develop all the skills. It's REALLY helpful if you are running any camps where you have more time.
    Again, if a club wants to ensure that ALL their coaches are fundamentally strong in skill training it's a great club wide program to implement.
    The funny part is now many of our younger age players are more "core skill exposed" than our older players.
    If I where you I would start by implementing the 1000 touches at the beginning of each practice. It's a great way to warm up players with a ball at their feet, no lines, and really no way for them to "act up" with social interchanges (horseplay).
    By the time they're done they are literally exhausted and more willing to listen and less likely to be horsing around. (We had an issue with one team and this changed that behavior asap.)
    Good luck.

12. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005

Actually it is the coaches that need to understand the breakdown so that they can spot errors and correct. Players learn the techniques as one movement. Only beginners first learning a technique are going to think of a technique as independent steps. If advanced players "think" too much about what they are doing, it just throws them off because their brain has actually learned the technique as one movement.

As a result of this thread, I bought the CDs and found them even better than I expected from reading the reviews here.

13. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

BTW, I'm buying this series. Funny enough that this came up today because I've been researching it. It's gotten enough positive reviews from people to make it worth giving a try.

14. markb57

markb57 Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Indiana

Don't forget to go to

http://www.soccerufreebie.com/

and get these free summaries of the contents, and a field plan for setting up the touch drills, which I would have done myself if he had not done it already. It IS actually free - he just needs proof of purchase.

Thanks,
    markb

15. CoachGT

CoachGT New Member

Apr 25, 2009
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC

FWIW, I own the set (and about 70 other coaching DVDs). As far as this one goes, it is one of the ones I go to first every year to refresh for myself and to start with each team. The steps described are relatively simple and easy to teach and I've found that the techniques work well for both boys and girls, although I fnid that girls take to the instruction a little better. Doesn't matter about the age group - this is a refesher that I do with every team I coach.

As far as "teaching the coach" goes, I've also structured sessions with half decent technical coaches (most at an A license level) and invite other coaches from the club I'm with and other clubs in the area to speak, less about technique and more about their experiences in coaching - sort of a "learn from another coach" sessions. They've usually been successul, but are attended by a relatively small group of individuals. About 20 in all. But all 20 are enthusiastic about learning more about the game any way they can.

16. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

I got my discs last week. Got through Blast the Ball and dipped my toe into soccer U. My initial reactions are that this is exactly what I needed. I feel like I know how to coach technique well, but this goes to a deeper level. Plus, I run into situations where how I know how to teach a skill fails and this gives me another method to teach the skill. Plus there are many skills, like slide tackling, that I'd have to study to break down the movements and figure out ways to teach it.

So I think this series is going to be really useful for me going forward.

With that said, I tried to apply what I learned in Blast the Ball at practice last night. It was pretty frustrating, but I got it all wrong and applied too much pressure too soon to the learning process. Young kids (10s) prob. need to a few sessions with no pressure to get the movement down. It's not just learning a new way, it's unlearning (for some) four years of ingrained habits—it won't change in a 90 minute session.

The small victory last night was they saw how "busy feet" prepped them better to receive and play the ball than static feet.

17. fisticuffs

fisticuffs New Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I've also found the Blast the Ball techniques to be the hardest to teach.

18. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    I think that striking technique is going to be somewhat limited by age. With teens I find it pretty easy to correct striking technique, but they have fairly mature control over their body. When you strike correctly, it feels really good, so its self reinforcing. I think it also requires a fair bit of general athletic skill to do correctly.

When you move from dead balls to moving balls, striking becomes very difficult for U-Littles.

One trick I learned (from training myself) is to have players strike rapidly in a situation where they don't have time to think about it. I want to induce a natural movement from the planting foot to the striking foot. I have done it with young kids by having them run up and strike the ball. With myself, I did it by striking a series of balls spread line a breast as quickly as possible. I quickly fell into a rhythm: plant, strike, follow through, step back, slide sideways and then plant, strike and follow through... Once you get this rhythm going you feel the added power come from the lower back and the hip shift. Needless to say you have to develop the rhythm striking with both feet.

19. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another thing I learned about striking technique is that it is highly dependent on being able to balance on your plant foot.

If you can get kids to balance on their plant foot better while moving their leg through the kicking motion and bending their plant leg, they will strike bettwe overall.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4WXCLOQH2E"]Biomechanics of Power Kicking - YouTube[/ame]

20. chris01890

chris01890 New Member

Jan 19, 2006
    Boston
    I bought the DVDs this fall and am working through them. I played college ball but either didn't have or don't remember coaches teaching technique. The series helps me commmunicate things I might 'know' but not be able to explain. Some of the catch phrases seem cheesy, but my GU11s are already repeating them ("the ball can't lie".

I sprinkle in some of the basics in my practices and find it useful to see the step by step demonstrations in the videos. I'm glad I purchased the set and I keep learning from it.

21. markb57

markb57 Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Indiana
    ...if there was ever a series done by an engineer, or some equally geeky/analytical guy, this is it. Having said that, I think it is a good value. It is not perfect, but it is very good, which, in general, as good as it gets in this life.

I would say the perfect companion is the "International Tactics" series by Jape Shattuck ( I hope I got his name right.) ...I would watch Jape's stuff first, actually, then watch the Soccer U to figure how "how they did that". This combination (soccer U plus International tactics) teaches "why to do it" and "how to do it."

Having said all that, if you are a parent new to soccer, and really want your kid to succeed, the first two things to do, before the two video series, is to go out in the yard and play soccer with your kid, and sit down with your kid and watch soccer once a week with the same passion you show for your favorite football/basketball/baseball team. Kids are great a unveiling hypocrisy. If you don't enjoy soccer, they won't either.

have fun!
    markb

22. ~*GabrielG

~*GabrielG Member

Jul 14, 2011
    I bought it and love it.

elessar78 repped this.
  23. DwayneBarry

DwayneBarry Member

Aug 25, 2008
    I'll just add my two cents. I didn't play soccer growing up but have watched it religiously for several years now. Consequently I have little to no idea how to performs skills let alone teach them. I've found as others have said the USSF coaching courses really don't teach how to teach skills at all, but how to be a coach. It was pretty easy to read and figure out what to do with young kids when I was coaching them, but now that my kids are getting to the age where they need to learn skills beyond simply allowing the game to be the teacher, I've found this series to be highly valuable.

elessar78 repped this.
  24. ucraymond

ucraymond Member

Mar 18, 2006
    I'm not sure how those of you who spent money on the DVDs will feel about this, but the SoccerU videos are now online.

I'm trying to teach my 8-yr-old stuff in the backyard. These videos might help a bit with that.