Duvan Zapata

Discussion in 'Colombians Abroad' started by Clenbuterol, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Bomb8

Bomb8 Member+

Jun 19, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Change is about to come, perhaps even sooner than we think. It's very hard to say exactly when it's time to switch. Barrios probably should have replaced la roca earlier. Not gonna argue against Quintero, I'm a fan. But there examples when things didn't work, Pekerman tried to replace Aguilar so many times and we played like shit for a long time. Then Abel came back and the team improved.

If Falcao isn't a safe bet anymore, I'd still like Duvan to build his confidence as a sub. We have seen so many strikers fail in the NT. Bacca was half the player in the NT than he was at club level. Jackson had only one good game (against Japan in Brazil). If Duvan starts today or some other match in this tournament I'm ok with it. CQ knows better. I just don't see a good reason to speed things up. By the WCQ's I want Falcao benched. If he doesn't perform, then sooner of course.

villus repped this.
  2. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    I think with Abel we really didn't have a replacement that was clearly showing they deserved his spot in his club, in that case it was a bit different since he wasn't really holding anyone back that was clearly better. I can see easing Falcao out of the starting spot because he's captain and to not upset the balance, but that isn't a pure footballing reason, but I can see the argument for it.

I want Duvan by WCQ but the pressure in those games should be higher and with a view to that the more time we can get with Duvan on the field working with our team the better imo. With the reaction from Duvan it looked like to me a guy who is a bit frustrated he's being held back and not given top billing, maybe that's a good thing since when he gets his chance he'll be assertive and motivated as all hell to be the starter which is a good thing.

Bomb8 repped this.
  3. Bomb8

Bomb8 Member+

Jun 19, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I didn't see this coming LOL.

HomietheClown repped this.
  4. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  5. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    So many challenges Duvan won in that game where he looked like he was going to get knocked over or had no chance to win it but got his body between the ball got knocked over and still got up to keep the ball deep in the Qatar end. Missed one breakaway but did really good with the goal, and you could see his hold up play and his passing and vision helped to create chances for the team, overall strong game and did what he needed to.

J-Mezzy and crzdcolombian repped this.
  6. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    1157397433414037504 is not a valid tweet id

Imagine starting Falcao over the guy coming off a world class season like this.

Furnaccio repped this.
  7. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Imagine that

8. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Hoping Duvan sustains this form.

villus and pepinointer repped this.
  9. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    and hope he doesnt decline to shot penalties.........

10. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Did he decline in Brasil? I never realized.

11. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    reports say that two elegible players for pks...decide not to take the pk.......for me is easy to at least discover one....

Is out of my mind how he wasnt in the first 5....being the top scorer ..

pibe10 repped this.
  12. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    no brasilians and peruvians in the list and they was in the final............as ruy mentioned the key will be if he keeps his form. for me wont be a problem while gasperini is the coach.

13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    There was a match in the Serie A in which Duvan missed a penalty horribly. Maybe that is still in his head.

14. colombianballa91

Jul 2, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Ive seen him take a few penalties and it isn’t pretty...Id rather a player who is self aware enough to know that it isn’t his strength and pass the baton on to someone else for the betterment of the team..however id much rather he improve that aspect of his game in case we are stuck in a similar situation in the future

pibe10 repped this.
  15. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    villus, dapip, HomietheClown and 3 others repped this.
  16. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The second was quite nice. Especially when he stumbled but still out ran the defender and kept the ball under his control.

villus and Furnaccio repped this.
  17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    This guy looks like a stampeding Ox when he is at full throttle galloping down the field with the ball.

El Toro is the perfect nickname for him. Such a solid player. Hope he finally looks good in a start for us against Brasil.

Azucarero, Furnaccio and J-Mezzy repped this.
  18. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Love it “Toro Zapata” it is!!

IMG_3917.JPG

villus and J-Mezzy repped this.
  19. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Atalanta is defending very bad.....hope they improve to help zapata and muriuel make a decent run in Champions league..........have received 6 goals in two matches

20. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    7 against Napoli :)

Napoli, Roma and Milan already wasting points. 2 team race soon

21. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Napoli lost against juve in juves house....result more than predictable

Milan nobody though was contender

22. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    His game is such a fit for Seria A and he's really learned to control his body with a defender on him. Long may this continue.

villus and Furnaccio repped this.
  23. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Hope it translate to goals in yellow

24. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Excited to see what he can do in qualifying, his combination of strength speed and skill should give our opponents a lot of trouble. Please baby Jesus let Quintero and James get healthy so we can see our full compliment of attackers together for an extended stretch. In a friendly or vs Bolivia or someone like that at home I want to see us pull this once and try and put up 5 goals:

Muriel-----Zapata
    ------------------------Quintero
    James----Barrios--Cuadrado

Furnaccio and J-Mezzy repped this.
  25. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Prior to seeing that speedy 4-3-3 counterattack I would have opted for your formation. But it's hard to deny that having 3 pressing attackers that can dribble and score would support a James-Quintero duo. I see maybe, maybe James occupying the outside top 3 spot with Cuadrado taking Uribe's spot next to Barrios. But with Quintero as well, unless we're in a tight match needing an element of surprise in attack but with limited defending I think it would be Quintero or James but not both.