Duvan Zapata

Discussion in 'Colombians Abroad' started by Clenbuterol, Sep 19, 2011.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Assuming he is staying at Atalanta that would be a positive.

dapip repped this.
  2. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    I hope he stays, they are really well coached and they utilize Duvan perfectly imo. It would be great to see him in the champions league but even if they don't make it in he's a huge fan favorite and is doing so well it would be nice to see him continue. That said I think there are a few big clubs who are going to try and throw big money at Atalanta to prize him away based on how great of a season he's had.

pepinointer repped this.
  3. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Atalanta lazio, genoa, juventus and sampdoria in the schedule.

Roma have juventus, sassuolo, parma and genoa.

Milan have bologna, fiorentina, spal and frosinonne.

I think that atalanta have the most difficult one.............and milan the easiest one but they are playing bad.

Inter have an easier one with napoli, udinese chievo and empoli.

Italy have 4 spots........i think that inter and atalanta are going thorugh.

villus repped this.
  4. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    And Atalanta have a Copa Italia final against Lazio squeezed in there too (It's crazy they don't do it at the end of the season like other leagues. Atalanta have had a brutal schedule lately but are really rising to the occasion so far and have been rotating a decent amount. You really couldn't blame them if they faltered with such a difficult road but if Juve can beat Roma and Atalanta beat Lazio in the next round they'd have a good cushion for a slip up and still make it in.

Duvan has been pushed to the maximum my only worried is he gets an injury, this many intense games in a short period is a big risk on the body but he's so important and they don't really have another player who can play that role so they haven't been able to rest him like other players in the squad.

ryu79 and Furnaccio repped this.
  5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Another goal for Duvan.:thumbsup:

6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Midway through the second half Duvan has been playing more of a right wing role.

Interesting tactical variant to say the least. I kind of like it. Could be a way we see Muriel--Falcao--Duvan start in a match if Queiroz takes note.

7. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    1125030800729288704 is not a valid tweet id

J-Mezzy and Furnaccio repped this.
  8. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    That first touch he had before scoring was really impressive. That was a missle of a pass and he had it right at his feet ready to score.

He’s been something to watch this season.

9. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    He's putting them on his back in these late stages of the season, so many important goals, really impressed with his consistency in the pressure cooker moments.

Furnaccio repped this.
  10. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali

I can understand more minutes , new team, coach and a change in tactics helping him be a better finisher but I still can't believe he's putting up these kind of numbers this season.

11. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    His underlying numbers last year for chance creation and xG were really good on a weaker team playing with the current Serie A leader in goals in Quagrialla and not a consistent starter the whole season. He's outperformed that but there were a lot of really good signs and Atalanta spotted them and prioritized him and its all worked out really well for everyone. His numbers were close to a guy like Dzeko and this year he's surpassed that which is fantastic.

I don't say this lightly in terms of all round play there really isn't a lot of better #9's in the world right now, chance creation, finishing, hold up play, defending, able to come wide and open space, occupying defenders he's doing everything and would be able to fit in the best teams in the world if he's used correctly.

For comparison there is currently not a CF that plays the same role that he does in the top leagues that has a better chance creation or xA then he does.

Benzema xG 0.59. xA 0.19
    Griez 0.43/0.26
    Lewy 1.05/0.27
    Firminho 0.47/0.22
    Lacazette 0.43/0.15

Duvan 0.65/0.34

Falcao 0.57/0.07

So I think Benzema/Firminho/Lacazette are good comparisons because they aren't necessarily pure 9's but are very much chance creators who don't simply hunt goals and Duvan is blowing them away in that area while also doing better in xG. Duvan is on a good offensive team no doubt but Italy isn't exactly a farmers league and his chance creation is elite, which means you can throw him in and he can integrate with teammates rather then just try to finish. Last year he was at 0.40/0.15 so he's made big strides in both areas.

Furnaccio and kromekote repped this.
  12. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    good stuff but the underlying truth here is that he's a player on loan for a reason. No team would just give away a player that can have this impact even if giving him that role you mentioned. Those numbers put him in great company and specially when you consider those players have had much more opportunity and support from the MF. I would love to see Duvan land in a team for good. I hate that a guy this good will have to surely move on, again, as opposed to setting in as he's enjoying the best time of his career.

13. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    He's on a two season loan deal with an option to purchase, so I'd imagine he's very likely to continue at Atalanta and its in the hands of Duvan and Atalanta which is great. He's so good and that team is really doing well I think hands down he should stay and keep on track and most likely get to play in the Champions league next year.

14. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    the reason for so many loan to purchase options is also mostly just economical. People read too much into it sometimes

J-Mezzy repped this.
  15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    For those of us in the USA...
    ...the Copa Italia Final (Wednesday) will be available on ESPN Deportes channel and ESPN2 in English.

dapip, kromekote and Furnaccio repped this.
  16. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    This Lazio-Atalanta game getting intense - a missed handball that would have benefitted Atalanta and lots of physicality so far. 4 yellow cards in the first half.

Lazio doing a good job of covering Duvan.

17. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Lazio won 2-0. Not best match of duvan subbed out at minute 84

18. Bomb8

Bomb8 Member+

Jun 19, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #1093 Bomb8, May 26, 2019
    Last edited: May 26, 2019
    Golazo! Just kidding. Probably the ugliest goal for him this season but once again he has scored.

Edit. I forgot that this game is super important for Atalanta as they are fighting for a CL spot. The other team got a red card at the end of the first half.

HomietheClown repped this.
  19. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Bomb8 repped this.
  20. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    pepinointer repped this.
  21. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
  22. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    J-Mezzy, villus and pepinointer repped this.
  23. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Dude is for real. That goal was unbelievable, turn, shielding defender on back, perfectly weighted ball, sticks with play, sits on defenders shoulder and then exploded to the ball.

Wow.

dapip, Doogs and crzdcolombian repped this.
  24. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    [​IMG]

This is what we have, we need to use it accordingly. Having a guy who can hold off, turn dribble and have that movement in the box is a huge asset, I think CQ is simply not trying to rock the boat with the captain and idol but we can't hold Duvan back anymore we will get a ton more chances with him on the field.

25. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The Duvan sub would have likely happened sooner if the Muriel-Roger sub wasn’t so early.

I am curious as to what CQ sees in practice that holds him back from the Falcao-Duvan combo or the dual striker concept in general