Review: Dutch players at home and abroad worthy to be tracked in connection with the Dutch NT - Part 3

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by DRB300, May 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I'm sure Fer isn't designated as a withdrawn striker in Van Gaal's 'player profile sketch' so that'll never happen!

2. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm going to wait until we see some actual qualifying results before I praise or blame Van Gaal for anything.

3. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    And where does van Persie play in that setup? Do you think Sneijder should be dropped so that van Persie - Who has yet to prove that he deserves a spot in the starting XI for Oranje - can play in the midfield, or are you suggesting that he be played on the right wing? (real question)

4. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Free role behind Huntelaar. Let him do as he pleases. Sneijder as a false left winger. I just don't get why up front, tactical discipline has to be important, and positions have to be so cut in stone. Sneijder and Van Persie are players of extreme quality, they'll find each other. I'm in favour of not giving them any tactical job to speak of - for that to work you need grafters behind them of course, but everybody knows my opinion on that subject.

5. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Van Persie is pure class. Different club, same story.. he carries team on his back with brilliant display, and he makes everybody surround him a whole lot better. Van Persie in Oranje is a clear case of misused, or maybe (sadly) just a highlight of how bad his supporting casts are.

Oranje desperately needs classic wingers who can beat their defenders and swing crosses to the box. Nani/Valencia and Walcott work (worked) wonderfully well for RvP. Hopefully Robben gets the memo. Not sure who's good enough to start on the right flank. Narsingh has been pretty mediocre in this early season (granted, nice assist today!)

Above everything else, Van Persie needs a dynamic midfield, three players who can move the ball around quickly, create space for him, and so often send long balls forward to let RvP does his magic. Arsenal had Song, Arteta and Rosiscky (especially good at end tail of last season). SAF sent out Scholes today to help Carrick and speed up the tempo. In the Dutch NT setup, Sneijder does the heavy lifting ALL THE TIME. Enough of this nonsense! Somebody else need to step up and contribute to the attack. Maybe Clasie and Fer can be the answers. Strootman, I had little confidence in, but what the heck.. everybody is worth a try at this point. Finger-crossed, Afellay will finally arise from his slumber and become a dominant player.. from midfield that is, not as a winger.

6. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I'm with you. A team needs to be formed around our outstanding players. With Van Gaal however there's no chance in hell that that's going to happen.

Elia could be back on track, that'd be nice.

7. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'd be open to playing a 4-5-1 with Clasie - de Jong/Fer behind Sneijder, van Persie and Robben, but I'm also happy with a 4-3-3. Whether van Persie plays striker or right wing or bench in that formation doesn't matter much to me. Against Turkey I'd like to see Huntelaar in the middle and van Persie on the right with Robben giving them lots of service from the left. People's main criticism of Huntelaar is that he's a minnow beater, but that's exactly what we need to get through the qualification.

8. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ola john on the bench for Benfica. Wont come on though since theyve already used their three subs

9. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Nice work here with this detailed breakdown.

10. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Agreed. The best players MUST play, the system of play should be based on the talent of the squad not some set in stone rigid thought process.

Van Gaal better get his head out of his ass.

Defensive players for Oranje let much to be desired. I cannot believe the possible partnership of Vlaar and Mathijsen. These two slow, unatheletic, lack of quality with ball makes me sick.

11. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Robben sick? Please Arjen get better soon!

12. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    Didn't realize we had this many posts. Do you all want to go till 1000, or start a new at 500?

13. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    New Thread can be found Here.

Cheers

14. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI