Dutch get heroes welcome in Amsterdam

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by johan neeskens, Jul 13, 2010.

1. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I thought we could do with a mediadump thread for all the news about today (3pm this afternoon the canal boat ride starts).

Van Marwijk and Gio earlier this morning got a knighthood when they visited government representatives and the queen.

First Photos:

http://www.nufoto.nl/fotos/155948/herengracht-1215-loopt-al-vol.html

By the way, can the haters please stay away seeing that you've already got about a billion other threads to whinge about us. Thank you.

2. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Saw quite some people in orange on my way to the shopping mall earlier this morning. I'm not going though.

3. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I don't think anyone outside the NL can watch this live but give it a try

http://nos.nl/wk2010/live/

Like I just said elsewhere it's pretty clear who's mates with who again.

4. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Over half a million Holland fans in Amsterdam. All waving at the miserable bastards of the international media.

5. Decentric

Decentric Member

Jul 16, 2006
    There is now a match report with accompanying stats on the WC final between Holland and on Stattoz.

There is a table comparing the two teams' stats.

There is another looking at the Spanish players' individual stats.

The Spanish dominated possession stats, but Holland won the one on one duels.

6. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    It's total madness in Amsterdam - imagine what would've happened if we had actually won it!

750,000 people according to the police.

7. Dutch Treat

Dutch Treat Member

May 6, 2005
    Amsterdam|Alphen a/d Rijn
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It seemed to do the guys a whole lot of good. Happy about that.

8. Simmer

Simmer Member

Feyenoord
    Netherlands
    Oct 23, 2009
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Spain are the World champions but we have the best supporters! :)

9. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I must say I was a sceptic. Rondvaart door de grachten is for winners. Still it was good to watch the images. It makes me happyer and it is good in the process to accept the loss. As Robben said, Spain may have won, but we have the best fans. In these times I feel priviliged to live in this nation. We are the salt of the earth.

If Webb didn't made that corner error we would have been the champs. We would have won the penalty's, Im sure. Spain could never score against us when we had 11 men on the pitch. That says something about the strenght of this team.

I hope Spain had a nice welcome, because we had.

10. spiering8

spiering8 New Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Canada
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm glad I watched that. Was still feeling fairly depressed, but seeing the guys happy and having a few beers(or a massive beer in Steks case) has really cheered me up. So proud of what Oranje did in South Africa. Bring on 2012!

11. Dutch Treat

Dutch Treat Member

May 6, 2005
    Amsterdam|Alphen a/d Rijn
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

I had to LoL on the bolded part, as soon as I read it I had this one picture in mind with the Jong. :p

12. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Good for them, but makes little sense to me.

13. Cleats Up

Cleats Up Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Saint Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and a heroes welcome is what they deserved!!!

I was on the other side of the media. This is the first negative tournament that Holland have played since I have been watching, and Im quite sure before as well. So what they didnt play the traditional Dutch football. They played to WIN, and I cant fault them for that at all.

Congratulations Holland on a great tournament.

USA for Holland...Hup Holland Hup

14. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ok, needed some time to collect my thoughts - wasn't sober enough on Sunday and didn't feel like it yesterday. Hugely disappointed of course but here goes:

1. First off, congrats to Spain and their fans - worthy champions and I'm happy to at least see a new winner if not the one I wanted.

2. I am hugely proud of this Dutch team, not the most skilled but fought like hell, never gave up and came so close to winning it. People can whine all they want about how they played but they played to win and to paraphrase Claudio Gentile, football is not ballet. Were Oranje overly aggressive? Perhaps but you play to win and the Netherlands best chance was to close Spain down and they very nearly pulled it off. I agree de Jong lucky to not get a red, on the other hand he said he didn't see Alonso coming in so take it for what it's worth. Team went much further than I expected.

3. Still sad, especially as wanted the Dutch to win for my dad, we listened to the 74 and 78 finals together on BBC shortwave radio, he would have been over the moon had we won. But despite my initial claim after the match that I would never ever watch football again, I will keep watching and playing (ok, I said the same thing after Euro 2000). So what if I'll be around 80 the next time we come this close again.

4. Congrats to Gio and Bert who were knighted today. I'll miss Gio, a real class act.

5. Glad the players enjoyed themselves today, mu lucky @ss brother got to see the parade and he doesn't even really like football!

6. Cruyff can kiss my ass.

HUP ORANJE HUP!

15. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Some videos of the day: first the canals (no-one got decapitated by a bridge you'll be happy to know)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHxf-bcIMD0"]YouTube- Oranje huldiging Amsterdam 2010[/ame]

Summary of the day starting with the queen and the knighthoods for Gio and Van Marwijk ending on the Museum Square

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIHLlUv8Fsk"]YouTube- Oranje Huldiging 2010 complicatie[/ame]

16. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Best speech of the day by Robben: we might not be world champions but we have the best fans in the world!

17. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    very cool!

but you couldn't pay me enough to jump in those canals

well ok, maybe for $10,000

18. wyly

wyly New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Calgary
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I waited 32 years after the defeat thinking I may not see us in the final in my lifetime again...I was totaly shattered thinking I never wish to see another football match again...but after hearing all the comments about the disgusting way the boys played from the international media I'm truely pissed...we played a hard fought match and were condemned as anti-football? the Spanish dive, embelish and con they're way to a win and they're celebrated?...F*** that, F*** the international media! we begin again toward 2012 and Brazil 2014...

19. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    lol

20. Mighty Dutch

Mighty Dutch Red Card

May 1, 2010
    We will win the world cup some day, I have no doubt

21. sonkky

sonkky New Member

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yeah we will win it surely..It does not matter if it is during my or my grandchild's era..
    Only shit thing here is that we are starting so soon again--11th Aug against Ukraine