Dutch Clubs In Europe: General Discussion

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by DRB300, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I don't really care about past results. Those don't really mean anything from year to year especially with the amount of player turnover in the Dutch league.

The problem is that you're not looking at it from a tactical perspective over two ties. Yes, PSV wants to win and should be going for the win (and I think they were doing a good job of that until Pereiro got sent off). Like I said before Atletico thrives off teams attacking them hard and then hitting on the counter, this would be even exacerbated by the fact that they have a stronger team than PSV do player for player, and Zoet is not exactly an exceptional keeper. I didn't agree with bringing on Isimat (would have preferred Lestienne at that time), but otherwise I think they played really smart against a team that is a heavy favourite against them, and they did it without their leading scorer and captain.

They don't need to score in Atletico, btw (it would go to penos if 0-0), and on top of it they have the big advantage of not having conceded an away goal so they can tie now and still go through whereas if PSV score Atletico has to score at least 2.

2. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    While it would have been nice to have nicked a goal, Cocu had a pretty good game plan set up and even after the sending off Athletico really didn't threaten. They are not the kind of team that has individual brilliance that can result in goals. This was probably the best of the top flight teams that PSV could have drawn and I think that they have a real chance to get a good result in Madrid. The back four cannot afford any screwups such as the one Bruma made in the early going letting his man cut right through.

3. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    They do mean something since dutch clubs always have big problems to play in Spain/Portugal. Twente had a pretty good team in 2011, resisting to Internazionale and finishing ahead Werder in the CL group stage. Beating Rubin Kazan and Zenit then in the EL knockout rounds.
    And when they faced Villareal just after, they looked like little kids and took 5 goals there.
    The same way I saw PSV and AZ losing to Valencia away, being completly dominated on every level while having played good games home (AZ even beating them 2-1)
    The same can be said about Benfica that beat Twente 3-1, PSV 4-1 and AZ 4-0 last years.
    Of course there's a link between those results.

I do look it from a tactival perspectives and I'm telling you PSV should have attacked more. Probably I wouldn't think the same if it was Barca, Real or Bayern, Messi, Ronaldo or Robben in front of them. But Atletico is a different story. They love to hit on counters ? Ok, they had some serious chances to do it yesterday and they failed to score. Griezmann is a great player but he is not a great finisher, he had a 1vs1 against Zoet and failed to score. They don't really have threatening players. I agree with what Oranje14 said about this just above.

4. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
  5. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Next season onward the Eredivisie will have the same number of teams in Europe as the direct competition and no chance of being shafted by fair play places anymore. Top 10 should be possible again in three to five seasons.

6. Pretty amazing to have 3 Dutchies in the UEFA CL-team of this round, given the limited numbers of them.
    Telling that it took 2 Dutch seasons to bring Bruma back to the level he was supposed to be in the first place and I'm happy I can stop scolding him.

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  7. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I like the progress Bruma is making.

Our future starting CB

8. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He's always good for one BIG mistake per game, witness his falling asleep in the first two minutes to allow the Athletico forward directly in on goal that required a great stop by Zoet. That being said, I agree his performance has remarkably improved. I do think he lacks the necessary quickness to become a great CB.

9. gabrielguilarte

Feb 23, 2016
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Not all the great CB are necessarily quick. For example pique is quite slow. I think that positioning and game reading is much important than quickness for a CB.
    Cheers

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  10. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ^^Bruma is no Pique!

11. curbo

curbo Member

Apr 14, 2012
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Progress in which aspects? And is that no matter who they play, is he as good at defending counters as he is when just bunkering down with his team? (not sarcasticly asking, i barely watched PSV this season and am suprised he is getting highly praised suddenly)

12. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think he's showed progress in all aspects of his game, really. His anticipation, positioning, reading of the game....etc have all gotten better. I dunno how good he is on counters, but when you can play well against Atletico (who just beat Real Madrid 1-0), you can probably play well against anybody.

Also Real Madrid losing is music to my ears. I despise that club, I'll never forget their treatment of Sneijder and Robben. I also think they treat their all their managers like total shit

13. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    PSV going to play with 5 defenders, as I expected.

14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    A major mistake on their part if true. They really need to go and get the away goal rather than playing conservative. if they do the latter they will lose.

15. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What did you expect, a full out 4-3-3 ninety minute attack on Madrid's goal??

Park the bus, and hope for a sneaky counter-attack goal.
    Its pretty much all PSV can hope for

16. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Disagree.

Defend first, and try to get a counter-goal

17. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    that Atletico team is vastly overrated. Playing 5 at the back is stupid

18. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    And I think putting out an attacking formation is also stupid.

We'll see how it all works out

19. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    PSV playing like the team that should advance.

Willems only weak link

20. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    I wouldn't say weak link but most of Atletico danger came from his side. He keeps going forward and makes Locadia to defend twice more than what he should...

PSV playing better than the first leg, more confidence on the ball. I keep thinking that playing with 3CBs is useless.

21. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Bring on Hendrix for Isimat and Brenet for Locadia (switch him with Willems on the left).

PSV look good so far! They are certainly playing with purpose and not just looking to fight out a 0-0 draw. I hope they advance.

22. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Well PSV did defend well but can they keep this up? If Athletico get a goal, they will defensively lock things down so it's necessary for PSV to get the first goal or hope for penalties.

23. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    What a chance for Locadia, and Van Ginkel can,'t even score behind...

Rossonero23 repped this.
  24. curbo

curbo Member

Apr 14, 2012
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    PSV is just so much better at the transitions.. From defense to attack or vice versa. Midfield has been great. Willems out now, who on the ball wasnt good, good sub. So surely PSV lose now :p

25. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Bruma is starting to troll