Duke Blue Devils 2017

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by mpr2477, Jul 19, 2017.

1. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    We will indeed be there, regardless of who plays. We had a wonderful trip when the CC was in boca raton in 2014 and Atlanta in 2011 even when the Heels weren't playing. Of course, Duke was in the 2011 final and lost a very tight game. Unc has looked weaker the last 2 games. We'll see. Early round ACC loss can be a blessing in disguise as it was for unc in 2012. Of course , that trip to San Diego was a dream.

mpr2477 repped this.
  2. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Wow. Didn't see this coming. Duke dominates the ALL ACC awards!

http://www.theacc.com/news/2017/11/1/acc-womens-soccer-2017-season-awards-announced.aspx

Great to see Dorsey, Quinn, DeBree and Coach Church wins individual awards. It's been a great year for Duke, and they were rewarded for it. Surprised to see Racioppi and Miller make 2nd/3rd team. They didn't have great numbers, and I thought Chelsea Burns (6 goals as a Right Back) would get on a team. But overall, I'm super happy 8 total players were awarded for their efforts this year.

Nice to see Lville's Ekic as Co Freshman of the year. She's fun to watch.

3. olelaliga

olelaliga Member

Aug 31, 2009
    I, too, really like Ekic and am happy for her. I was trying to see what was up with her after UNC game and discovered that she had torn her ACL in April of 2016. That would explain her exclusion from YNT programming for the u17WC time period. She reminds me of another of my favorites, Jessie Flemming.

4. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    I would concur with you! She's good

5. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is the giant animated long haired guy on Dukes sideline?

6. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Associate Head Coach, Erwin van Bennekom

7. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    ACC Semi’s

Duke 1 UVA 0

Tale of two halves. Duke came out very sluggish and looked like the sat back, for some reason. They are now without Rebecca Quinn (Canadian team duty), so it looked like they were trying 5 on the backline, for sum reason. Whatever that was, the forwards/mids didn’t control the ball and gave it away when they had it. First half shots. UVA 7. Duke 0!!

Defense held tight though.

Second half Duke looked like Duke. They got a free kick, close to midfield, and capitalized! Debree sent a beauty far post, to a leaping Burns, who headed it across goal to a wide open Stevens. Goal Duke. Dorsey/McCoy almost had a second goal a minute later. Duke controlled the ball a lot for the rest of the half, and were connecting passes much better then the first half. UVA has several chances late in the half, but Proctor was sensational in goal and made a couple huge saves.

This is Duke’s FIRST ACC championship final in the Robbie Church era! (That’s quite shocking to me). But great job ladies. Let’s get it on Sunday!

8. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this Dukes year? Although Stanford and UCLA look great too.

9. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Idk to be honest. I hope so. But from what I’ve seen from Stanford, they’re scary good. They score in buckets and play great defense. I’m kind of hoping Duke doesn’t run into them! Lol

10. Ingoldsby

Ingoldsby Member

Nov 12, 2014
    Agree 100%. I hope Duke can get revenge on UNC on Sunday but it will be a very tough game without Quinn (who also missed the last UNC game with an injury). If they lose to UNC it will be interesting to see if they can hold on to a #1 seed. It would be a shame to have to play Stanford at home before the final four but there is much work to do before they get that far. Always dangerous to think too far ahead.

11. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    I don’t think you have to worry about not getting a #1 seed, and playing Stanford before the college cup. Both Duke and UNC have locked up 1 seeds. Besides Stanford, there are no better teams that can/could over take them. USC, UCLA, S Car, Psu...nope.

12. jr cruz

jr cruz New Member

Bologna
    Italy
    Nov 4, 2017
    I attended a coaching symposium a few years back where Erwin (the long haired giant) presented and have been keeping up with the Duke ladies team since. Not surprised by Vanbennekom's positive impact on the results and style of soccer.

13. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Agreed. It’s no surprise that the year before he arrived, Duke missed the NCAA tourney. He arrives, we get to a college cup championship, another NCAA quarterfinal (after 3 season ending injuries to 3 major players) and have had the best season in program history! He’s a brilliant tactician. Hope we keep him on staff for a long time

14. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #64 Crazyhorse, Nov 4, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    Ive just never seen an assistant that animated before. Good luck tomorrow, I would imagine most of the soccer world is pulling for Duke, as Nc plays the most unattractive soccer around.

mpr2477 repped this.
  15. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Well that was pathetic

16. Ingoldsby

Ingoldsby Member

Nov 12, 2014
    Didn't see the game. What does that mean?

17. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    They looked like a completely different team. No midfield game at all, shooting balls over the top to Dorsey/McCoy over and over, which clearly didn't work, and by the end both were exhausted. Not happy at all.

Saving grace, we got a good bracket! :)

18. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Oh my goodness!! Duke up 5-0 in the first HALF!!! Where has this offense been lately! Wow

Clearly, having Quinn back makes a HUGE difference.

Goals by:

Racioppi
    McCoy
    Quinn
    Paschall
    Dorsey

19. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    The Cowgirls are being taken to the WOODSHED.
    And this is a different type of wood than they are used to handling.

mpr2477 repped this.
  20. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    What a game by the Blue Devils. 7-0 win over big 12 regular season champs, Cowgirls.
    Goal scorers for Duke were
    Racioppi
    McCoy
    Quinn
    Paschall
    Dorsey
    Paschall
    Munro

Duke must have taken its frustration from its 1st rd game, out on Ok St, as it was utter domination. Cowgirls had only 2 shots all game, and one was right at the end of the game with duke starting lineup on the bench. Duke gobbled up and offensive attack OKST tried to mount.

The biggest takeaway from this match, was how good Rebecca Quinn is. Her return was huge and it showed from the get go. She was the catalyst in 4 of the first 5 goals, and had a goal and 2 assists tonight.

Was really nice to see highly touted freshman, Paschall finally fulfill her potential, as she had two really quality goals, and caused havoc on the left wing the whole match. She even slotted back to leftback when the whole backline was subbed out. Great versatility from her

Texas has a hard fought win over Clemson in the first game. They might need prayer to get by Duke, as they’ll be exhausted from their match, with Duke being very fresh having rested all their staters for most of the second half.

Great job ladies. Keep it up

21. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    extremely impressive win....y'all get those goals out of your system...just kidding #uncdukeincollegecupuncwinsitall:)

22. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Haha, you wish. You ain’t gettin is a 3rd time, not with Quinn back

23. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I like Dukes chances all the way to the final. Upper right has been obliterrated

mpr2477 repped this.
  24. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Upper right?

25. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    He means the Duke quarter of the bracket. #2 and #3 seeds are gone