Duke Blue Devils 2017

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by mpr2477, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    You looked past UNCW, and so, nearly, did Duke. Lots of possession and shots, but not a whole lot were particularly troublesome (still a lot of 30-yarders for an easy save). A slightly nervy 1-0 win in the end, though there was never too much danger of conceding a goal. Ironically, I think Duke will have an easier game against Auburn, who quite frankly gave up collectively against UNC in the last 20 minutes.

2. Ingoldsby

Ingoldsby Member

Nov 12, 2014
    You are absolutely right. I had no idea Auburn would be as mediocre as UNCW. The only real risk against UNCW was a 0-0 result given Duke could not figure out how to score but UNCW was never a threat. Against Auburn, Duke should have scored at least 4 or 5 but the Auburn keeper was the player of the game. She stopped Dorsey twice 1-on-1 in addition to a couple of other good saves and Racioppi missed a wide open chance from 10 yards.

The real test starts Friday night. I sure hope Duke figures out how to put good chances in the back of the net because they won't get many against a team like West Virginia.

3. MountaineerLegion

MountaineerLegion New Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Greetings Blue Devils.

I wanted to let you know you can watch a live internet video feed of our game on Fri. provided by WVU for free. It's actually very well produced in my biased opinion. Of course you'll get our homer announcers but they're not too bad in that regard.

Here is the video link for the game. http://wvusports.com/watch/?Live=1060&type=Live

In case that changes you can find the new link in the banner at the top of the page here. http://wvusports.com/index.aspx

Just mouse over the game listing and click on the movie camera.

All that said, what do you think about our game? Score prediction and/or analysis?

4. Ingoldsby

Ingoldsby Member

Nov 12, 2014
    MountaineerLegion, thanks very much for the video info. Nice to have a free link these days, especially after paying $6.95 to watch the Old Dominion game only to have the stream start 30 minutes after the kick-off. Well done WVU!

In terms of prediction, I think this will be a tough one for Duke. What I remember of WVU from last season is an athletic, physical team similar to what Duke experience with UNC in its first game this year. Duke has a solid D but has had trouble converting scoring chances. I would predict a similar outcome to the UNC game if Duke continues to squander chances around the net.

5. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    I personally think that the Duke offense is bound to start clicking soon. There is too much talent and soccer savvy up front for that not to happen. The Blue Devils have a lot of potential scorers, such as Kayla McCoy, Ella Stevens, Chelsea Burns, (and even Ashton Miller and Kat McDonald) --and the first three have already scored 6 goals this season. Any one in that group could get hot. But the two big guns up front are Talyor Racioppi and Imani Dorsey. Dorsey is picking it up and has averaged a goal per game so far. Racioppi has the talent and drive, but just hasn't connected but her time should be coming soon. When that happens Duke could easily average more than two goals per game going forward.

If that happens this Friday, it should be a very close game and could go either way.

6. Ingoldsby

Ingoldsby Member

Nov 12, 2014
    Looks like you were right Soccerhunter. Duke's offense did click and they made the most of their chances. 4-0 win for Duke. Impressive.

7. MountaineerLegion

MountaineerLegion New Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Right? He said it should be a close game. Your ladies pummeled us. Just an absolute beat down. Hopefully coach Izzo-Brown can keep their morale up and correct whatever it was that you all exploited. Tough loss for us. Congrats to you and your ladies. Please win out so this loss doesn't look so bad.

8. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Great ACC opener for the Blue Devils today. It was an tough aggressive game from both sides ( 24 fouls between both teams called), but Duke was very efficient, with 7 of 10 shots on goal. After Duke settled in, they controlled/dictated play for most of the match

Burns got the winning pk (she's 4 for 4 this year), and that spurred Duke on as Ashton Miller got a goal off a terrific dish from Dorsey, who then got the games 3rd goal. Lots of players saw action today (22 players saw action), which is nice bcuz the starters could use the rest for the battle at Notre Dame on Thursday.

Positives. 1) Dorsey. What can you say. She's been phenomenal, 7 goals in 9 games. If she keeps this up, I'd say she should be a Herman Award semifinalist. 2) The defense. DeBree/Mitchell/Reid and Burns have great chemistry and been stellar. Proctor has been looking solid as well after giving up 2 in duke's first game. Duke's defense has only given up 5 goals in 9 games. 3) Kayla McCoy. She's an incredible hold up forward. I really didn't appreciate her until the last 3 games when I saw how good her hold up play really sets the attack and gets her teammates tons of opps. Plus she finishes.

My only concerns is that Miller and Quinn tend to give away balls too often, Quinn over dribbles at times. However, they've been solid the last 3 games, so maybe that was just preseason errors/jitters. Racioppi has been a big dissapointment for me. I thought she'd have an all American year this year, but she's just not there. Too many shots, with nothing to show. I can throw Stevens into that category too. Hopefully they both can join Dorsey/McCoy in the clicking on all cylinders category.

Great start to season though. Can't be disappointed at all.

9. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Another great road win for the ladies last night. 3-0 over #18 Notre Dame. I definitely think ND is underrated, and at the end of the season will be top 4 or 5 in the ACC standings, so going in there and beating them soundly was huge in my mind.

The one thing that was the common denominator throughout the game, was our speed all over the field. Our defenders/midfield smothered their attacking players and swarmed to the ball very quickly, anytime ND tried to get to ball upfield. That was the big difference. As ND defense got tired, Duke was able to break them down, and put 3 goals on the board. Dorsey again had a great game, with a goal and created the ND own goal. We finally got a goal off a set piece, as DeBree served a ball into the box, which was headed by an ND player and Ella Stevens, and fell to Malinda Allen, who headed it down and passed the keeper.

Our defense is going to be hard to penetrate, if we continue to play like we have the last couple games. Proctor gets the shut out, for her 4th solo s/o of the season and 24 of her career.

Great job ladies.

10. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Duke 3 Louisville 2 (2OT)

While this might not seem like a great result, in context, it is. Keep in mind that Duke has not SCORED against a Lville team in the last 3 years. 3 straight 0-0 draws. So the fact we put 3 on them, is great. However, giving up 2, not so much. But, they do have Ekic, and she's good. Plus they have more offensive firepower then in years past.

Ashton Miller got her 2nd game winner in 2 games. It's nice to see her scoring touch come back at a needed time. Stevens and Racioppi got the first two goals, which is great to see, as they've both struggled to find the back of the net this year. Hoping this trend continues.

Imani Dorsey did not play, and was also not on the field in the second half of the PItt game. I didn't see her go down with any leg/knee type injury, so I hope it's just a minor injury and not a season ending one. Lord knows we need her for a run to the CC.

This was Duke's 11 straight win! That's quite incredible actually, and a great accomplishment for this team. Hoping we can keep this up this coming week/end for NCSU and FSU.

11. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Duke hosts NC State tomorrow at 7pm. Could be dangerous game for the Blue Devils, if they can't get at least 2 on the board.

12. Ingoldsby

Ingoldsby Member

Nov 12, 2014
    These next 2 games (NC State and FSU) are going to be a real test for Duke and a big indicator if this is a team that has the potential to make a run at the College Cup this year. Nagging injuries like Dorsey's are probably starting to show up with others given the time of year and Church has been going with a fairly short bench in tough games. Last year around this time they pulled out good wins against NC State and Virginia then faltered against FSU and Clemson. So far this year they've managed to avoid the potholes (like Louisville and Utah) with comeback wins so it will be interesting to see if they can continue the trend in the final stretch of the ACC schedule.

13. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS

You are correct, these next two games a huge for Duke. I'm hoping that the home field advantage gives them a little extra, but I wish they were playing FSU first (after a whole week and change off to rest), then NC State. Hopefully, we can put NC State away early and rest some starters, so we aren't too tired for FSU sunday. Church has been going with a short bench, and that worries me a bit, but they do have some pretty good players out that would contribute on a nightly basis. (Gyau, acl out for season. Casey Martinez and Caitlin Cosme have yet to play this year, not sure if they will either). They have avoided the potholes this year, that they didn't last year. Let's hope they can keep it up. I'd like to see Stevens and Racioppi continue to put the ball in the back of the net, and not just rely on Dorsey or McCoy. Does anyone know if FSU has international players away this weekend?

14. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Wow!!! BlueDevils up on FSU 2-0, only 25 mins on beautifulgoals by Stevens and Dorsey! Cmon Duke

15. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Big win for these ladies! The measuring stick for how good ur team is, is always the FSU game. These ladies played their hearts out today and stuck their chances when they had em.

It was my first game attending this year, and I'm glad it was a happy/good one. Sat by Racioppi's parents (lovely family). Said she's been sick lately. That'll def keep a player from playing their best. Although she had a terrific bending serve into the box that McCoy almost got to before Cassie Miller gobbled up.

Dorsey played the whole game today, and as usual, she was a difference maker. Goal and an assist. Imho, she outplayed Castellanos. Our defense nullified anything Deyna did. I'm not sure she even got a shot off. Which suffice to say, means our defense was extraordinary. Quick to the ball, no mistakes, and pounced on FSU players as soon as they were trying to counter.

Stevens struck first on a brilliant goal, from Burns and Dorsey, only 4 mins in! Duke continued to attack early and that set the tone for the game. Dorsey got the second goal just before half, on a rebound from a rocket of a shot by McCoy. From there, it seemed like Duke just sagged off and were content to counter when able.

I don't think FSU has much firepower, besides Castellanos. Nobody was really aggressive for them, like I've seen with their teams in the past. It shocked me how ineffective Connelly has become, as I remember how dangerous she was in the '15 college cup semi. I'm sure they'll be fine though and likely make the ACC tourney finals, as they always do.

Great win for my Dukies. This should propel us a bit higher RPI wise, and hopefully we can win out, so we can get a #1 seed and host all the way through to the CC.

Got Jukes? repped this.
  16. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Duke 3 Miami 0

Stat of the game. ZERO shots for the Canes....yes, ZERO. Duke defense was suffocating and dominant. Proctor should have got her would be leading 8th ACC shutout, but Church subbed in Heinsohn in the second half.

Duke 28 shots/11 sog
    Miami 0 shots/0 sog

Goals by McCoy, on a beautiful assist across the box from Dorsey, a sensational blast from Quinn 25 yards out, then a gorgeous Steve into the box by Erlbeck to a charging Allen who tapped it in with her left foot. Gotta give it to Miami keeper, Tullis-Joyce. She’s y’all and agile, and was actually sensational today, with huge saves. 8 total. Should been at least 6-0 score, if not for her. Saved a Burns pk too.

Duke with their 14th straight win in their last regular season home game. This team is loooking good. Only thing I worry about is being clinical enough on the offensive end, going forward. Against the UNC’s and Stanford’s, we have to finish better then we did today.

17. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
  18. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Debree’s game winning goal, has to be the shot of the year!! Free kick goes in from almost half field! Wow.

Duke 2 Boston College 1

Not a great great by the Devils. Sloppy passing and silly fouls after going up 1-0, led to a free kick for Coffey, that was deflected and got past Proctor. But at this point in the season, a win is huge. 15 straight! Keep it up Duke!

19. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just saw a replay of Debree's goal and wow! What a shot! Goal of the year. Congrats Duke, you all are having a super year!

mpr2477 repped this.
  20. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Thank you Louisville!! :)

Duke 2 Syracuse 0

Same script, as of late. Duke scores early, on McCoy’s brace. Then let’s the foot off the pedal. I try not to complain about this, especially at this point of the season, but knowing UNC put 7 on the ‘Cuse, and we only muster 2, pisses me off. Our attackers have got to be way more efficient. Dorsey needs to start finding the back of the net again, especially come tourney time.

Defense was solid as always. Proctor gets her 8th shutout on the year.

Duke with the outright lead in ACC standings now. Beat UVA Thursday, and we’re champs! Cmon girls, get this

21. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Can we all finally give some props to Duke now!!?

Duke 2017 ACC regular season Champs!!!

With a goal in the 87th min, by Kat McDonald, Duke beats UVA 1-0, and goes a PERFECT 10-0 in conference play to win the ACC, and get the #1 seed in the ACC tourney. Ironically, the last team to run the table in conference was that amazing UVA team of 2013.

But what an incredibly amazing year by the Blue Devils.

After an opening game loss (shouldn’t have been imo btw), they reel off 17 straight wins, a school record. They go 10-0 in ACC play, also a school record. They beat numerous rivals throughout the year, that have tripped them up in the past couple seasons (WVU, Notre Dame, FSU), and in dominating fashion (4-0, 3-0, 2-0). The offense has chugged along smoothly, and the defense has been outstanding. Head coach Church has had a season (so far) to remember, and should be rewarded with ACC Coach of the year honors. Dorsey has had and amazing Sr year. McCoy has stepped up and is the most effecient scorer I’ve seen. Quinn has been a superstar at holding mid, and there’s nothing she can’t do. The whole backline deserves kudos this year, but DeBree is the anchor and such a calming factor. And Proctor has had her best season to date, leading the acc in shutouts, save percentage, and goals against average.

I could not have imagine, like any Duke fans, that this year would turn out to be “this good”. I knew we’d be strong, and compete for top spot in the acc/nation, but going 17-1, no way. We’ve had really great teams in the past....on paper! But somehow, have found a way to stumble (2012....2013....2016). They finally put it all together and embraced high expectations, and did it in the field! Amazing year, (so far) ladies! So proud of you. Let’s go out and win a national title now!

22. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    congrats to duke on acc regular season championship. very impressive to finish unbeaten and untied and the long perfect streak since the first game. Duke should have a #1 seed for NCAA in the bag regardless of ACC tourney. I am hoping that UNC can do well in ACC tourney to grab another #1 seed and they can meet in orlando. nice going blue devils!

23. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Thank you uncchamps! It was a great year, and I think they have a #1 seed as well. Your Tar Heels will be fine regardless of the ACC tourney. I think that win over us, plus your very high rpi will also nab you a #1 seed. See you in Orlando ;)

24. Kazoo

Kazoo Member

Nov 1, 2015
    I was at the UVA-Duke game last night, and I have to say that Duke coach Church was funny when the Blue Devils scored their late, game-winning goal. I don't know anything about Church's personality--but he seems like a well-composed older coach, and why wouldn't he be. He's a veteran guy who's won a lot of games at a very good program. But when that goal was scored, Church was out on the field jumping up and down like a 12-year-old who'd won the national spelling bee or somesuch. He wasn't just jumping--he was bringing his news up to his chest repeatedly, in near ecstasy. Maybe it was because the goal/win assured them of an undefeated ACC regular season, but I've never seen a coach get THAT excited. Congratulations to Duke on their outstanding season. They will be tough to beat in the tourney.

25. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    That's awesome! You couldn't see that on the broadcast (ACC Network), but I can imagine that would have been a funny sight for such a normally composed coach. I think he must have been feeling such joy/relief, after so many years of "what ifs and coulda beens". Duke has always had the recruits to compete with the UNC's and Stanfords, and on paper have had some great teams. They've just never put it all together. Maybe Church feels like this is that team, and he's super excited about it.