Dual Nationals - Who's the next Rossi?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by keller4president, Aug 13, 2013.

1. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    There are a lot of dual nationals out there...and while we've been getting most of them lately, we're still likely to lose a few.

If you're Klinsmann/US Soccer - which dual nationals should be getting recruited big time right now? Here's a full list of players we're likely to lose if we don't move quickly:

Julian Green (18) - Bayern Munich
    Shawn Parker (20) - Mainz
    Thomas Delaney (21) - Copenhagen
    Vilyan Bijev (20) - Liverpool

All of the above could be world class players one day. If I'm Sunil Gulati, I'm calling their agents and flashing dollar signs.

2. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they're going to be the next Rossi, who really gives a shit?

3. Konut

Konut Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I fear it might be Julian Green... he just might be good enough to make it for Germany in the coming years. Here's to hoping he makes the right choice!

4. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder what kind of dollar signs US Soccer president can flash? NT can't buy players, we can only offer them a possibility to play for WC side.

5. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Rossi lived in America the first 12 years of his life before he left to join Parma's academy. With the exception of Bijev, none of those guys have lived at all or spent barely any time in the U.S.

Neuwerld, mike4066, cnaw and 5 others repped this.
  6. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The use of Rossi in the thread title prejudices the entire discussion.

7. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He didn't even leave permanently until he was 14 or 15. He simply trained for periods with Parma.

ielag repped this.
  8. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does Zelalem count? I don't know if he'll become eligible, but many US fans are getting excited about him and I could see him never playing for us

9. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Since he's not even a US citizen yet (and might not be for a number of years) I didn't include him. Nothing US soccer can do right now except wait. The others, however, can be persuaded. Didn't any of you ever see the movie "Blue Chips" with Nick Nolte?

10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    If we're talking a US citizen who learned the game here but plays for another country, odds are it's gonna be a Mexican-American. Richard Sanchez of FC Dallas comes to mind.

One I would keep an eye on is USYNT player Junior Flores, who had a contentious stay at Bradenton and could switch to El Salvador.

onefineesq repped this.
  11. Cashmikey

Cashmikey Member

Jul 16, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I've seen the Flores thing come up a few times, is there evidence that he has seriously considered playing for El Salvador? Not calling you out, I'd just like to see it if there is, I would think that a player of his potential would actually want to play in a World Cup at some point

12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really don't see Flores switching unless he gets snubbed by the US later.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  13. drgonzo

drgonzo Member+

Jun 1, 2011
    Club:
    San Diego Flash
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea unless Flores falls off the face of the earth, I can't see a situation where he doesn't play for the US.

Some folks are just too paranoid.

14. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you want a Rossi, then it's probably Sanchez. He's either going to be good and playing for Mexico, or he's going to stall and play for nobody.

15. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    This is just me speculating out loud.

There were reports when he first broke out with the 17s that his parents wanted him to play for El Salvador but he's never shown any interest publicly in doing so.

But it's no secret that his tenure under Richie Williams was rocky and that could easily be on the coach and not the player. But, it does plant a seed.

I doubt it happens, mostly because El Salvador sucks and doesn't consistently make the Gold Cup or the Hex, let alone the World Cup. But, stranger things have happened.

(I'm also not convinced he's the world-beater some think he is, despite the offer from BorDor.)

16. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, the whole concept of this thread is to come up with who will crush the hearts of BS next.

Not a dam one.

17. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard Paul Ariola was applying for Mecican citizenship. He's showing promise in Tijuana

18. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this has been debunked several times on BS

19. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My understanding is that he is doing it so his club team don't have to burn a foreign player slot.

20. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although Shawn Parker is current prize pick, Julian Green would be the player we would need the most in 2018.

21. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bijev i believe has decided to play for bulgaria. I could see delany palying for us since denmark sucks. Green and Parker would be HUGE pickups for us.

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    If Zelalem counts for this thread, then he might be the player that we would need the most in 2018.

23. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, that was the reason given in the article which reported it. Then some Mexican fans just conveniently interpreted the info to mean he was considering a switch.

That would be ridiculous if Arriola played for Mexico. He's a 3rd/4th (depending on how you look at it) generation American. His great grandparents moved to the U.S. His family must have been here like a hundred years.

People want to give us crap about players who were born and/or grew up elsewhere and are now competing for us. But the reality is we have more strict citizenship rules than a HIGH majority of countries. Here it only goes as far as the parents, and naturalizing is a bitch.

Yura Movsisyan moved here when he was like 4, lived here until he was 22, and didn't get citizenship, otherwise he would have played for the U.S. Do people really think he couldn't nor shouldn't have helped the U.S. national team?

Greece were auditioning George John due to citizenship I believe came through his grandparents.

But it's supposedly a farce when Aron Johansson plays for the U.S., after being born here, plus spending about 5 years of his upbringing in the States. That's less than Yura, but we, nor anyone else is giving Armenia crap for it.

There is a definite double standard. Frankly, I'd like there to be stricter, more uniform rules, so it's more a measurement of which footballing country is better than another. But these are the rules as they stand, until it changes there will be battles where may the most persuasive country win, and there are numerous who try and game the system way more than us.

Bluecat82 and blacksun repped this.
  24. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zelalem is a dual national, but not for us.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  25. jakepc42

jakepc42 Member+

Mar 26, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No disrespect to you but this has been talked about ad nauseum. He's doing it so that he doesnt take up a foreign spot for Tijuana. Paul played in the U-17 WC with the US, is a 3rd generation American, has lived in the US his whole life and generally would have very little reason to play for Mexico.