Dual nationals and general politics for the USMNT?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OlympiquedeMarseille, Nov 9, 2016.

1. OlympiquedeMarseille

Apr 18, 2012
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    So it's always VERY dangerous to include politics in any thread...
    BUT what will be the result when it comes to dual nationals that could play for either country.

The Jesse González's of the country... will the US lose some potential players? No effect?
    Just soccer in the thread please!

2. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean, will dual nationals choose to not play for us because Trump's president?

Imo, if it matters that much to them, fine. There are lots of factors that individual players take into account.

But I'd like to think that our guys can choose us because they feel a connection to this country, so if someone can't get past politics... I won't miss them much

Bajoro repped this.
  3. OlympiquedeMarseille

Apr 18, 2012
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Makes sense; but do you feel Gonzalez and others will feel that way?

4. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is not news and analysis.

beerslinger23, jaxonmills, Burr and 3 others repped this.
  5. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know. But I also don't care. I voted Hillary and really dislike Trump, but that won't stop me from loving my country. I can't tell you if other people feel the same way.

Namdynamo, ChuckMe92, DHC1 and 1 other person repped this.
  6. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could go either way. Gonzalez and Richard Sanchez went for Mexico while Obama was president. About as opposite as possible from trump so I personally don't think that who is president is very high on the importance factor. As one who's son played with and against a lot of Mexican and Mexican American kids in the Dallas leagues I would judge the most important factor to be how much there father loves the Mexican national team and the Mexican league / teams. If they grow up watching those with dad and feel connected there's a good chance they will want to represent Mexico. Could likely switch that to any other country.

Bajoro, Namdynamo and deejay repped this.
  7. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I think it's more which country do they feel closer to. I don't think that the President necessarily reflects an individual's cultural values or experiences within a culture. And I don't think the election of a President will suddenly change the values or behaviors of people, or at least it shouldn't.

8. zpjohnstone

zpjohnstone Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #8 zpjohnstone, Nov 10, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ico-world-cup-qualifier-tensions-donald-trump

It may force us to face and discuss some things in an adult manner, but it's just plain delusional to pretend that politics and national teams are divorced from each other- From Havelange to Warner to Isreal playing in UEFA . . .

That said, there's not too much to analyze and there's a temptation to engage in divisive bickering with no end benefit . . .. Might Mexico have a bit of extra motivation? Of course. Could some US players be huge Hillary supporters or Trump haters and play at a less than optimal? I guess, but they have their own legacies to protect and a game to win. Most elite athletes are in that position because they have a competitive 'disorder' and care for little else than winning and know how to focus on what they can control.

9. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. Pure speculation. Obviously politics could be a factor but there's no way of knowing without being able to ask them personally.

10. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, maybe. I don't really care about the rhetoric until it actually starts to affect policy or people's actions. Having Obama didn't somehow make the rivalry less acrimonious. Rowdy Mexican fans still throw garbage habitually, that hasn't stopped. And there are rowdy US fans that chant despicable, racist things (e.g that "mow my lawn" anecdote from a poster here), that hasn't stopped, and won't be affected by the Presidential election.

And, I know it's a bit of a copout, but really I don't care much what the Guardian says. I see what I see on TV. When I go to my local Mexican restaurant to watch the game, it'll be a good-natured, fun time, just like always. There will always be bad apples, and that's unfortunate, but I can only control my own actions and encourage others to be respectful. Not to mention, the day that Euro outsiders offer useful, thought-provoking commentary on US politics from a place of understanding, will be the first time.

Marko72 repped this.
  11. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'm not expecting much to be impacted. The players on the field earn a lot of money. They are somewhat insulated from the effects of politics. The fans might be another story.

12. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    You can say that again.

Having spent a significant portion of my life abroad, I can say with certainty that much of the rest of the world pays a considerable amount of attention to us and what goes on here, and are much more well-informed about us than we tend to be about them (not to mention the fact that they tend to speak our language to some degree and we rarely do), but that does not mean that they understand us or have any real insight into our nation or culture.

deejay, orcrist, gunnerfan7 and 2 others repped this.
  13. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad I'm not the only one who notices and dislikes that kind of arrogance. Europeans, in my somewhat limited experience, tend to approach American politics and culture with an outsider's perspective informed largely by television shows and American consumer products. Which is how I'd approach most European countries as well, because I've been privileged to visit only a handful of them, and for short periods of time. But the key difference is, I keep my opinions to myself when it comes to French border issues, German tax laws, or Italian culture!

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It depends. The alt-right has been pretty aggressive since Tuesday. It will probably die down, in which case President Trump won't make a difference. But if racist graffiti and the occasional hate crime continue throughout his term, it'll probably hurt us.

15. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    The better question to me is how we would react if they did... I think the reaction from the mob would be more telling than the actions of the individual.

16. PhillyandBCEagles

Jul 9, 2012
    NC
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    It could actually be a very good thing today if the Mexican players get a case of ardido over the election result and take stupid cards, fouls, etc. as a result.