Dual Nationality

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by Raj-G, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Raj-G

Raj-G New Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Club:
    NAC Breda
    Can someone tell me how the dual citizenship is arranged in caribbean countries like Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago, Haiti, St. Kitts and Nevis, Dominica and some other contries.

Because some politicians in Suriname want to insert dual nationality in the national law.

2. Kingston-King

Kingston-King Member

Aug 31, 2008
    Jamaica
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Big up Raj-G

I don't know about other caribean nations,but here is some info about the Jamaican laws:

Dual Citizenship
    Memorandum of Law

1. Jamaica recognizes the concept of Dual Citizenship.
    2. A person who was born outside of Jamaica before August 6, 1962 and whose father or mother would have become a citizen of Jamaica on August 6, 1962 automatically became a Jamaican citizen. See Section 3A of the Jamaican Constitution.
    3. A person who is married to a Jamaican citizen is entitled to be registered as a Jamaican citizen, regardless of his prior citizenship. See Sections 4 and 7 of the Jamaican Constitution.
    4. Every person born in Jamaica after August 5, 1962 is entitled to Jamaican citizenship, regardless of whether he/she is entitled to the citizenship of any other country. See Section 5 of the Jamaican Constitution.
    5. A person born outside of Jamaica after August 5, 1962 is entitled to Jamaican citizenship if his father or mother was born in Jamaica. See Section 6 of the Jamaican Constitution.
    6. The Governor General has a power to deprive a Jamaican of his Jamaican citizenship if (a) citizenship was acquired other than by birth; or (b) if a Jamaican citizen exercises a right of citizenship in a foreign country exclusively reserved for citizens of that country. See Section 8 of the Jamaican Constitution­
    7. There is nothing automatic about the deprivation of Jamaican citizenship by the Governor General. It may only be exercised in extreme circumstances. Parliament has a power to pass legislation to deprive a person of Jamaican citizenship (OTHER THAN A PERSON BORN IN JAMAICA). See Section 11 of the Constitution.
    8. The mere fact that a Jamaican citizen becomes a naturalized U.S. Citizen does not automatically affect his Jamaican citizenship.
    9. Such a person could only lose his Jamaican citizenship if (a) he was not born in Jamaica and (b) if the Governor General deprives him/her of that citizenship pursuant to Section 8 of the Constitution.
    10. A Jamaican citizen who renounces his Jamaican citizenship at the time of naturalization as a U.S. Citizen does not automatically lose his Jamaican citizenship. This is so because by Jamaican law a Jamaican citizen can only lose his Jamaican citizenship if the Governor General deprives him/her of that citizenship.
    11. Under the US Law, an alien is required to renounce his/her former citizenship at the time of naturalization. This renunciation does not automatically take away from a Jamaican citizen his citizenship of Jamaica
    12. The Constitution of the United States does not forbid dual citizenship. Indeed, the United States recognizes dual citizenship. This was decided in 1967 by the Supreme Court of the United States in the case of Afroyim v. Rusk 387 US.S. 253,67 S. Ct­1660; 18 L. Ed. 2d. 757, which decided that a US citizen did not lose his citizenship after foreign naturalization. Justice Black in writing for the majority of the Court said:
      “We hold that the 154th Amendment was designed to, and does protect every citizen of this Nation against a Congressional forcible destruction of his citizenship, whatever his creed, color, or race. Our holding does no more than to give to this citizen that which is his own, a constitutional right to remain a citizen in a free country unless he voluntarily relinquishes that citizenship".
    13. A person who is born in the United States and becomes a citizen of the U.S. by birth, and who voluntarily becomes a citizen of another country and participates in that ­country's parliamentary elections, cannot be deprived of his U.S. citizenship as a result of such conduct.
    14. An Article "Questions and Answers on dual U.S/other citizenship" states in paragraph 2 that "The official U.S. State Department Policy on dual citizenship is that the United States does not favor it as a matter of policy because of various problems they feel it may cause, but the existence of dual citizenship is recognized in individual cases".
    15. At paragraph 9 of the above Article the question is asked, "I've heard of people who became U.S. Citizens via naturalization but then claim they still have their old citizenship too. How is this possible? One of the answers given is this:
      "The person's old country may not recognize the renunciation of citizenship he made as part of U.S. Naturalization. Such a person could be a dual citizen, as it were, in spite of himself".
    16. Paragraph 10 of the Article on dual citizenship, in answer to the question; If I am a dual U.S/other citizen, is there any way I can lose my U.S. Citizenship? states, inter alia.
      "On 16 April, 1990, the State Department adopted a new set of guidelines for handling dual citizenship which are much more streamlined and liberal than before:
      The State Department now says that it will assume that a U.S. Citizen intends to retain (not to give up) his U.S. Citizenship if he:
      a. is naturalized in a foreign country;
      b. takes a routine oath of allegiance to a foreign country;
      c. accepts foreign government employment that is of a non-policy level" nature.
    17. Paragraph 12 of the Article deals with the Two Passport Questions and provides the following answer:
    There is nothing in U. S. Law forbidding a U. S. Citizen to possess both a U.S. Passport and a foreign Passport - provided of course, that the person really is a citizen of both countries.
    SUMMARY
    Jamaica recognizes Dual Citizenship. Only the Governor General of Jamaica can deprive a Jamaican of his/her Jamaican citizenship.
    The mere act of renunciation of Jamaican nationality in the naturalization process to become a U.S. Citizen does not deprive the Jamaican of his/her Jamaican citizenship.
    It is not contrary to U.S. Law to have both a Jamaican Passport and a U.S. Passport.

Suriname dominated for years in the 70's the entire caribean,so i hope you guys can make a comeback again.We Need more good competitions.;)

3. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    i think most of the major footballing nations in the carib accept dual nationality. T&T, PR, Haiti, Netherland Antilles etc.

4. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    The Dom Rep also accepts dual citizinship

5. Bajan

Bajan New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Barbados
    The government of Barbados allows dual citizenship,so it's not a problem for us.

6. theworm2345

theworm2345 Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I believe every country in the Caribbean Football Union allows dual citizenship besides Suriname. Pretty much every team recruits players with parents or grandparents from that country to play (besides Suriname).

7. Raj-G

Raj-G New Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Club:
    NAC Breda
    Thanks for your comments guys! I contacted the political party NPS (National Party Suriname) of the president of Suriname about this issue.

A thing what they say is that there are benefits and disadvantages when Suriname would accept Dual Nationality.

Do you guys in the other Caribbean countries experience disadvantages? I want to know what the negative side is of Dual Nationality.

8. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    I really cant find a negative in it other then the team won't really feel as if its representing your country. wouldnt feel authentic. but thats soccer speaking probably does hurt them politically in a way we dont know.

9. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    1. My children have dual citizinship and I can't find negative sides of it neither.

2. To me, it is always very important to have citizinship of the country in which you live

10. Bajan

Bajan New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Barbados
    We from Barbados have never noticed any disadvantages in any way.And i didn't see any negative effects,none of us.I don't know the political situation in Surinam exactly in detail,but what are you guys have to lose?Tell your leaders from Surinam "just do it!"

It's strange for you guy's having a heavy caliber players in the Dutch and using not one of them.If they were Barbadians....i don't have to tell you how powerfull we would be:D

11. Kingston-King

Kingston-King Member

Aug 31, 2008
    Jamaica
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    I'm with all others above.Can't see why there should be bad negative results by having 2 nationalities,i also have never seen bad experiences.It's an honor to be a part of your country,it has to do with pride even if your not living in your own country.

Suriname should do the same thing;)

12. Raj-G

Raj-G New Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Club:
    NAC Breda
    A few things what the Surinamese government say:

• The own players born in Suriname will not get the chance to grow and play for the national team.

• It is "very" difficult to design a political system (law) for Dual Nationality.

• There are to many Surinamese people abroad which could influence the country at elections.

• There is also no money to pay the Surinamese players abroad.

• Players will loose their Dutch passport when they would request a Surinam passport (Don't know if this is true!), most players want to keep their Dutch nationality. Suriname says it is difficult to arrange this with the Netherlands.

13. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Nevertheless, we all wish you good luck with your effort

14. Kingston-King

Kingston-King Member

Aug 31, 2008
    Jamaica
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Quote-The own players born in Suriname will not get the chance to grow and play for the national team

Whell,that depends entirely on your federation.They can establish a permanent plan with all kind of programs to give those local players a chance but that's my opinion.Suriname has world-femous players who could contribute so it's a matter of negotiation and engagement.Beleive me brother,it is possible but you guys must show 'goodwill' from both sides,Surinamese citizens and your brothers and sisters in the Netherlands.1 man can not bear that burden so you all have to work together.I mean,if we Jamaicans can then you guys can do it also.

Quote-It is "very" difficult to design a political system (law) for Dual Nationality.

I don't think it's too difficult and maybe easy to say for me,but you guys can negotiate with the Netherlands to come to an agreement.

Quote-There are to many Surinamese people abroad which could influence the country at elections.

Is it?Now for an example,Jamaica has 2.820.000 million Jamaican citizens and 1.500.000 million people outside Jamaica.This kind of statement was said also in Jamaica many years ago but we have never seen this kind of "influance" while there are so many Jamaicans in the USA and The UK and many Jamaicans are in politics also in those countries.So i don't see the danger of it.
    In case of dual nationality,i also think it depends on how you contructing a new law which is clearly defind for which rights are granted or not (for instance,the right to vote or not).I beleive most countries have that last option.

Quote-There is also no money to pay the Surinamese players abroad.

I must admit,we have suffered with that same problem for years but listen to me bro,there is a way,a solution for every problem.I've read many articles about great stars like Seedorf,Edgar Davids and many others here and outside this forum,you guys should use them.They can bring many big important international sponsors in your country cuz they have the name and the skills to bring up Suriname at a higher level!It shouldn't be a problem;)

Quote-Players will loose their Dutch passport when they would request a Surinam passport (Don't know if this is true!), most players want to keep their Dutch nationality. Suriname says it is difficult to arrange this with the Netherlands.

If the Netherlands doesn't want to cooperate with Suriname,just force them to work with jou guys!One option is to force every Surinamese citizen outside Suriname with a Surinamese passport governed by a new constitution.By doing so,the Netherlands will not and can not take the Dutch nationality away from Surinamese citizens in the Dutch,cuz their own law doesn't allow them to do that!:D.Just force them and not by free will.

You guys are independent and Holland has nothing to say about your government so i beleive you guys can do it;)

15. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep

Good point you bring up here

I believe that Surinamese born in Holland will represent Holland at the U17, U19 and U21 level. But later on, if they see they have got no chance of playing for the MNT, they might like to swich to Suriname

Recent Fifa regulations allow that

16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Players that play in the olympic games (U-23) are they allowed to change nationality afterwards?

I know that other athleats can, but can football players?

17. Haitiforever

Haitiforever New Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Well, the truth is Suriname does not need to accept dual citizenship to allow foreign players of Surinamese descent to represent the country of their origin.

In fact, Haiti does not accept dual citizenship. However, the country's football association applies FIFA rules on dual citizenship to enlist foreign players of Haitian descents.

Players like Placide, Dominique, Eloi are probably not "legally" Haitian.

My friend, I believe the politicians who gave you those excuses are just playing politics, not football.

18. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    what do you mean, not "legally" haitian?? they aren't haitian at all?? :confused:

19. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Mon ami, are you sure about that? Because this would mean that haitians born in the Dom Rep with dominican citizinship are not haitian.

I know that the Dom Rep accepts dual citizinship

20. Haitiforever

Haitiforever New Member

Apr 4, 2010
    They are not 'citizens' of Haiti. All three guys I mentioned above are Frenchmen with french passports.

Haiti does not accepts dual citizenship.

However, when it comes to football, FIFA sets the rules and according to FIFA all those guys can consider themselves Haitians and represent Haiti if they haven't done so for their actual countries of citizenship.

Suriname can do the same thing.

21. Haitiforever

Haitiforever New Member

Apr 4, 2010

Before the earthquake, there were serious talks in the senate about changing Haiti's stance on dual citizenship giving that many people who can actually help the country live overseas. However, they have not yet passed that law.

Altidor for instance could have played for Haiti thanks to the fifa's loophole, but that wouldn't have made him a citizen of Haiti.

I know so because I lost my Haitian citizenship the day I became a naturalized US citizen. The same goes for any Haitian living in the DR.

22. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Mesi enpil for that information, I did not know that at all.

So Eloi Wagneau, although he was born in P au P as haitian, is not haitian anymore?

And in order to settle down in Haiti, he would have to make his ''permis de sejour'' and to coach a team his ''permis de travail''?

23. Haitiforever

Haitiforever New Member

Apr 4, 2010

Eloi was born Haitian but he lost his citizenship when he became a french citizen. However, according to fifa, he is eligible to play for Haiti because he had never represented France, his adopted country.

Placide, although a French citizen, can still play for Haiti because of his parents' origin. But, once he picks a country, he automatically becomes ineligible to play for the other country.

However, in regard to settling down in Haiti, many Haitians who carry foreign passports own properties/businesses there. Eloi wouldn't have a problem in Haiti even though he is no longer a citizen of Haiti.

24. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Very interesting all of this, I think the haitian politicians should change the constitution and accept la double nationalite'. But that is just my opinion of course.

25. Surinamese-man

Aug 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Surinam
    Bredda,are you really sure about this?Because we have been trying for years to convince the Surinamese government to change the constitution,but if you are right,then they are playing a dirty political game!!
    But i'm going to figure this out,cuz what ur saying,is new to me.
    I also didn't know about Haiti's constitution,i thougt the Haitian constitution included the dual citizenship.So it seems you guys having the same problem like us.