News: Drunken, Promiscuous College Roommate of Other MLS Teams' News Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by kgilbert78, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NFL on FOX theme song became the official FOX Sports theme song a while ago. It's also played during NCAA football, MLB, (I'm assuming) NASCAR, and whatever else they have.

2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I have heard, they'll be on broadcast FOX or FOX Sports 1.

3. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it sucks.

Jake Folan and cam5fc repped this.
  4. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Just think how badly that theme will suck as the background music to Cleatus the Annoying FOX Robot juggling a soccer ball, knocking it into the air, and executing a successful bicycle kick while Gus Johnson's voice booms out, "THE LADS ARE WALKING ONTO THE PITCH FOR TODAY'S NATIONALLY-TELEVISED MATCH!!!"

5. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    Big Names Backing Big-Time Soccer in Minnesota

Covering the two major camps looking at landing MLS franchise in Minnesota. The one new piece of information I had not seen before: The 5-Year Exclusivity Clause that was put into the Stadium Deal (only owners in the Vikings organizations could pursue a MLS franchise) is tied only to the new stadium itself. So another party can go after the MLS franchise if they plan on using/building a stadium besides the new Vikings one.

Most interesting thing about this article.... It was on the front page of this morning's paper. Not bad to have competing MLS interests not only make the news but actually make the front page too.

6. Robbo Crewfan

Robbo Crewfan Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jan 21, 2007
    C-busite in Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eeek. Almost sounds like what Bunyon had in mind when he wrote about "the slough of despond."

7. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the field at TCF wide enough for soccer? Nice place to watch a football games. Seems like it would be a decent temp home for soccer too.

8. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    I am not sure but I think so. It was a field put on the long consideration list for the US's WC bid but I don't know if it passed the dimensions requirement or not.... but it is also a FieldTurf stadium. Now the team did play a few games in the Metrodome these last couple of years but I think the plan is for MLS team to have a grass field somewhere.

9. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    People are worried about grass? I'm hoping for capos.

10. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    Dark Clouds with Capos? I would hope not... but they do have Nessie...
    [​IMG]

11. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just want three capos, in overalls, hardhats and located in the NW, N and NE sections to showcase our crest heritage.

12. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Jake Folan

Jake Folan Member

May 24, 2012
  14. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not that it's stopped the league before.

15. ThreeC

ThreeC Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Cowbellumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Yeah, apparently Edu will be a DP who goes through the allocation order. Apart from any issues with league HQ trying to block Philly from signing him. They also signed an Argentine midfielder yesterday, Maidana, to a DP contract.

I say Philly should be allowed to throw their money away if they want.

Also worth mentioning is that Seattle seems to want Marco Pappa.

17. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think MLS HQ is hesitant to let Edu make 1 million + would be the effect on players like Zusi, Besler and EJ. I could see those players demanding more money considering all have a larger role with the Nats. I think MLSHQ is afraid of having to deal other players that are paid less. You could argue that they signed the contract and should honor it, but you also want to keep those players happy enough to stay in the league. Paying someone like Edu over one million is not a good business move (from MLSHQ standpoint) shortly before the CBA expires.

Bringing Dempsey back at his salary opened a can of worms that MLS either didn't see coming or didn't realize how big the effect would be.

18. ThreeC

ThreeC Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Cowbellumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, the Dempsey deal, and especially the TFC deal for Defoe and Bradley (way overpaying) is going to ripple through this league and prices are going to go up for even pretty good (even great but not elite) talent. I just thought it would take a bit more time than this!

19. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    When did whether or not it's good for KC become the standard by which other teams could add players? By that measure we shouldn't have brought in Beckham, Henry, etc.

While Edu isn't worth 1.2 mil, my view is that the Union should be allowed to pay him that if they want. Other teams have been allowed to overpay guys like Lothar, Hernandez, Ricardinho, Frings, etc.

It's also troubling that the objections have popped up after Philly made a trade with DC for the top allocation spot. Not to mention the MLS flipflop on whether or not DPs go through the allocation process. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't depending on the whims of league HQ. That's no way to run a league.

20. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. I hope MLSHQ calculated this when they weighed pros/cons of paying that much for Dempsey. If they weren't prepared for this it might hurt some of our growth as a league (spending the $ on academies and dev.)

I don't think it puts the league in danger of folding but we were seeing solid growth for years. Hopefully they were waiting for just the right time when these contracts could be afforded and now is that time. If true, this is a great time to be an MLS fan.

21. Jake Folan

Jake Folan Member

May 24, 2012
    #2372 Jake Folan, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2014
    As long as Philly, Seattle, L.A. and every other team pick up the tab for the excess of what is covered under the DP cap covered by MLS I don't really see this as an issue MLS needs to involve themselves with.

Paying for transfer fees without passing the whole cost onto the club is Pandora's box. This is what happens when you make the rules up/change the rules as you go along. There are unintended consequences to changing the rules on the fly, and pretty soon, you become preoccupied with putting out the immediate fires related to your rule changes than actually making decisions based on the long term benefit of everyone in the league.

MOD EDIT: Let's leave politics out of it.

zman31 repped this.
  22. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the only effect of those players coming over was their increased salaries then it'd be no problem. But that's not how a league works. Would Besler, Gonzalez or Zusi have signed their extensions to stay in MLS if they could have left for a bit and made tons more?

You can't claim to want to keep players while rewarding those who left substantially more. If MLS was anticipating this and has a plan then it's no problem. But we don't know that.

And the argument is each team can do as they please and pay however much they want doesn't work in single entity that is without free agency.

If I'm Zusi I'm upset that someone who jumped ship will be rewarded more than I am when I chose to stay. The next time someone in his spot is up for a new contract what will they be thinking? If MLS is serious about keeping the up and coming stars, they need to be cautious about overpaying the former stars trending down.

23. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In fact, there was a time when it seemed like MLS actually tried to stick it to players who left and ended up crawling back.

kgilbert78 repped this.
  24. Jake Folan

Jake Folan Member

May 24, 2012
    I don't understand your point. If the player's MLS team want to keep them, they pony up. If not, they can go to Europe and sully their career for more money. I'll be the first to admit I'm not the brightest, but if good MLS players want to leave over pay, let them. They'll soon find themselves on the bench year after year as their foreign club churns through multiple head coaches, makes them surplus to requirements by bringing in more competition, and all the while they'll be losing valuable playing time to prove themselves for the National team.

MLS has the upper hand in my opinion.