Drones

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Bubba Atlanta, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Eastshire

Eastshire Member+

Apr 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah, but he made them from better materials than many high school sousaphones are made.

2. MarinFCsoccer

MarinFCsoccer Member

May 16, 2008
    Novato
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And we're off down another rathole. :)

J'can repped this.
  3. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Has anybody mounted a tuba on a drone yet?

roby and J'can repped this.
  4. Eastshire

Eastshire Member+

Apr 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    [I was going to make a joke related to a ball getting stuck in a sousaphone, but I couldn't figure out how to not make it sound dirty.]

Doug the Ref repped this.
  5. meyers

meyers Member

Jun 11, 2003
    W. Mass
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually those are called Contrabass Bugles. Or more informally, Contrabass or Contra.

MrPerfectNot repped this.
  6. Eastshire

Eastshire Member+

Apr 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That's probably correct. Marching tubas look a lot like that.

MrPerfectNot repped this.
  7. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the Troopers! The "marching tuba" is technically a "contrabass bugle" or "contra" for short. Troopers are the Troopers Drum & Bugle Corp, from Casper, Wyoming. Some good friends wore that uniform way back when.

8. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    To quote Chevy Chase: "My fault. Very much my fault."

9. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Ready for launch, Captain!

[​IMG]

dadman, meyers and Rufusabc repped this.
  10. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    In my one parade esperience with a Sousaphone, I found that adolescent boys saw the big bell as a spitball target.

11. Eastshire

Eastshire Member+

Apr 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Oddly enough, these war tubas, which are actually listening devices rather than sound projection devices. They were used to detect the sound of distant aircraft.

12. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I played Cymbals. Only because I was the only one that could spin them around while marching. Which I didn't mind because I was playing the Tri Toms and it was a LOT easier to walk a mile in thick polyester while toting these around then it was a Tri Tom. Plus, the kiddies were always impressed.

[​IMG]

13. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    My local club just adopted a no-drones policy, inspired by the below US Youth Soccer document. Anybody seen this?

14. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    Don't these folks proofread their policy statements? The first sentence is most likely missing a word, and the second was obviously edited without rechecking the spelling or structure.
    Maybe providing a safe environment? USYS isn't providing the air or anything.
    The use (of unmanned aircrafts) are not to be at activities of events? And aircraft is already plural.

I didn't even want to read the rest.

15. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Well I liked the fact that they are committed to providing an environment. And if you quit there, you missed the part where they banned drones at board and committee meetings. (Maybe that means no more droning on ...)

That Cherokee and Law5 repped this.
  16. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    So, to be clear, drones are not allowed anywhere at a US Youth Soccer match? Even off the field? I was AR2 at a game last week and there was one, but it was behind the parents and probably 30 feet up. I notified the center and told him if it finds its way over the field, I'd let him know. It never affected play.

17. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Yes, but mind you, US Youth Soccer matches are a smaller universe than you think, and your games probably don't fall in that category. They include competitions under the direct authority of USYS, such as "the National Championships, Regional Championships, National Presidents Cup, Regional Presidents Cups, ODP regional and sub-regional camps, and interregional events, ODP National Championships, regional and National League competitions." Most of the USSF-affiliated club matches most of us are calling are under the aegis of state associations, which in turn report to USSF. That means that particular memo doesn't directly affect most of us, but we need to be aware of similar policies adopted at our state and club levels.

18. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Nothing about drones in the Cal South rules (yet). I don't give much hope to them fixing the grammar and syntax errors.

19. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Gotcha. Thanks. I don't see anything in the documentation in the games I do. But we did note it when we reported the score, etc.

20. Pat Chewning

Pat Chewning Member

Dec 22, 2011
    Beaverton Oregon
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

This is why they should not be allowed. You don't allow unsecured goals to fall on the players, and you should not allow unsecured aircraft either.

21. nonya

nonya Member

Mar 2, 2006
    The space around the field, on the field, and stretching upwards to lets say 20,000 feet where planes may start to fly, is for players and referees only.

22. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    Hmm, I've reffed at a field on the flight approach to a local airport. Sometimes planes come over pretty low. They're not drones though.

The writers of this document make IFAB look like Pulitzer Prize nominees.

That Cherokee repped this.
  23. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been to some USYS meetings. Droning on is always on the agenda...

nsa, J'can, Law5 and 1 other person repped this.
  24. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    We have a college field that is under the small aircraft approach path. Of course, the time of day when weekday games are scheduled is also the time of day when the FedEx feeder planes are all coming in, sometimes as low as 500 feet or so when they cross the field. Nobody seems to stop playing, though, unlike the time that I was doing Veterans Cup in Hawaii. The fields are near Pearl Harbor. The Blue Angels were practicing. When they came over at, roughly, 1,000 feet, everybody stopped to look up.

AremRed repped this.
  25. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    I assume you carded the Missing Man for Leaving Without Permission?

Doug the Ref, IASocFan and Law5 repped this.