drinking ourselves to death

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by msilverstein47, Dec 23, 2015.

1. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Who posts on the Food & Travel board on their first day of joining BigSoccer? [Scratches head.]

But hey, go right ahead ... and welcome.

4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm pretty sure Martha is a spambot.

5. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Is that why that Cerebrrin link is in there? Who would spam this little-read thread and why?

I is confused.

6. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I don't see why anyone thinks spamming works anymore, but what do I know.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to cut out on my lunch break to wire some money to the Nigerian prince who has to pick up my winning ticket from the Spanish Lottery that you don't even have to enter to win.

BocaFan repped this.
  7. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    As soon as I saw the post I thought it was spam but in retrospect it is a good idea. Not enough people care about this thread to actually report this. I'm sure MC posted the same stuff in the Badminton and Rounders threads but I don't care enough to check.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  8. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    PM me and I'll give you the bank account number for the wire. You only need send $500,000 for the initial deposit.

9. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    On topic, binge drinking is 5 drinks? If I have 5 drinks over a couple of hours, with some food, you won't know that I've had any drinks at all. Not unless you know me well, and barely even then.

Chesco United repped this.
  10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well, everyone thinks they act the same when they're drinking. ;)

But what's the definition of "a drink" and what's the time period of a binge session? Are we talking 5 drinks in a day being a binge? That would be ridiculous because on a Saturday or a holiday its normal to start the day off with a bloody mary and/or have a couple of beers in the afternoon, so the drinking stretch could easily be 12 hours or more. In which case, 5 drinks is nothing.

11. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I will sit in on classes in the mental health counseling program at my wife's college because I volunteer with the local Catholic Charities' substance abuse program: An interesting point about the scale of dependency re: alcohol: As of a few years ago, it varied by country. My four pints a night (at that time) put me in the very high moderate range of the US, whereas I was slightly below the middle of the moderate range as regarded in the UK and France. Regarding Russia.... I was practically a Teetotaller. Anyway:

http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-health/overview-alcohol-consumption/moderate-binge-drinking
    Binge Drinking:
    NIAAA defines binge drinking as a pattern of drinking that brings blood alcohol concentration (BAC) levels to 0.08 g/dL. This typically occurs after 4 drinks for women and 5 drinks for men—in about 2 hours.

The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), which conducts the annual National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH), defines binge drinking as drinking 5 or more alcoholic drinks on the same occasion on at least 1 day in the past 30 days.

Heavy Drinking:
    SAMHSA defines heavy drinking as drinking 5 or more drinks on the same occasion on each of 5 or more days in the past 30 days.​

BocaFan repped this.
  12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    ^ Thanks. I feel a bit better now. :D Very difficult to drink 5 drinks in 2 hours unless you're really committed and focused on the task of getting wasted (no time for chit-chat).

13. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    See, and I find it difficult not to drink a bottle of wine in 2 hours. I mean, that's only one ounce of liquid every 5 minutes. ;)

BocaFan repped this.
  14. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States