Drew Carey calls out all MLS teams on US Open Cup

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by JetCitySounder, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Re: Drew Carey calls out all MLS teams

It's a chicken-egg thing.

But at the very least the article attached above tells us the USSF understands the issues.

The majority of clubs that enter the competition next season will not be MLS clubs. How in the world could any of them favor the existing format?

2. SeaM

SeaM Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Actually, you just made my point for me. Go back and look at your OP. You're the one claiming everyone else is "insulting their fans."

You're just not good at paraphrasing - there's no crime in that, just don't do it. (For example, you trolling is not the same thing as you BEING a troll. Another bad paraphrase.)

I agree that more FOs should care about any match their club plays in, especially when it carries value (although value is in the eye of the beholder, as Colorado has demonstrated they believe the only value is in MLS play). But there's a better way to say it.

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i'll grant that the money expended may have pushed the Sounders into more/better advertising. But if the final was in Chicago wouldn't that have brought out fans there as well? Given the Sounders success I'm guessing that they could have pulled a decent number even if awarded the final on random chance, so I'm not sure making the Sounders spend money to host the final really gained any popularity. Meanwhile we know it didn't have a big impact in Chicago, whereas them randomly getting the final might have.

I can see that logic, and to some extent you're probably right. I'm just not sure than a team never hosting because they can't or won't match the money (see the Rapids for one example) is helping grow the competition at all.

I did say they were masters of gross incompetence, but for comparison's sake do you think any team in England, even the incompetent ones, would schedule something opposite the FA Cup final? Or any MLS team, even the Rapids, scheduling opposite MLS Cup? That's what I mean about the USOC not being on the level it could be.
    They do seem to agree with me though. ;)

4. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I dunno.. Is there an ownership in England that is as incompetent as the Rapids FO? Even Arsenal isn't as bad and they have the same owners.

5. THE_Wiz_Kid

THE_Wiz_Kid BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 13, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]

6. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Man, you clowns draw a few good crowds and suddenly, you get amnesia about anything that happened before 2009. As bad as Burn/FCD has been over the years, I do know for a fact that the all-time worst single game crowd (which was 4,000 and change) is still better than the USL Sounders' average attendance most seasons. In other words, Burn/FCD crowds have often been nothing to write home about, but Seattle couldn't even top that. I heard "they should be in MLS instead of you" over and over again over the years, but it was about some burg in western New York, not Seattle. Holy crap, it's not like we're talking about a terribly high bar.

So yes, I will stand by my statement that pro soccer in Seattle might have a history stretching back to 1974, but from 1984 to 2009, it barely existed. If you're gonna own the history, own all of it.

That's a mighty small picture and I can't make it out. Is it Arrowhead Stadium for Wiz games during the years where they were almost relocated to the aforementioned western New York burg?

7. DynamoEAR

DynamoEAR Member+

May 30, 2011
    HoustAtlantaDMV
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I wouldn't try to sound like a stereotypical douchetool sounders fan but i'm going to have to agree. They are getting everything right by marketing to the young male demographic. But, they will not get full respect until they have an MLS or CCL star on their badge.

8. LyotoM

LyotoM Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. LyotoM

LyotoM Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

[​IMG]

10. THE_Wiz_Kid

Jul 13, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]
    This should help, I found one with you in it. Get crazy!!

11. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You really need to stop posting.

[​IMG]

One year of selling out our stadium does not negate a history of poor attendance.

12. THE_Wiz_Kid

Jul 13, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You need to realize there's no rule about the number of days one must wait since their attendance stopped sucking to start dishing it out to others.

You also need to realize I do not care about your opinion - which I'm sure is mutual, so just squash it

13. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma

I am well aware of the Sounders attendance history. I just find your comments very befuddling considering your teams attendance woes.

14. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There isn't, you just come off as hypocritical when you do it.

No, that's ok, I'll keep pointing out your ignorance.

15. THE_Wiz_Kid

Jul 13, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hey, if that's really how you want to spend your time, have at it - just know that I won't seriously acknowledge anything you say.

This thread got off topic, I'm done now.

16. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It doesn't take that much time to point out your level of ignorance.

17. ProdigalReality

ProdigalReality New Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

I love how threads involving the Sounders turn into Rivalries drivel.

18. Jewelz510

Jewelz510 Member+

Feb 19, 2011
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The bottom line is..

Win a damn MLS Cup, then come back and see me.

Anyway, the Seattle Sounders have been good for MLS. There's a reason CenturyLink is featured in those adidas commercials and not Gillette. The Sounders and Timbers have the image MLS wants to portray. And the "old guard" need to step up. It's not 1999 anymore, but some of these teams, like my Quakes, want to operate like it is.

At the same time though, it would be nice for Seattle-ites to acknowledge that they ain't shit without the foundation laid for them by the original franchises. The Quakes, the Burn/FCD, the Wizards/SKC, the Red Bulls/MetroStars, the Galaxy, etc.. they went through the bullshit and turmoil of the first decade that Seattle, Portland, Toronto, Philly, didnt have to. The Sounders didnt make MLS what it is. They simply stepped in at the right time to take advantage.

As for the US Open Cup, I'd like to see it become bigger than what it is right now. But, no point in bashing Seattle for winning it 3 years running. They simply played the game that was laid out in front of them. Just like MLS Cup playoffs. You qualify. You play. You win. You're a champion.

19. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma

And I am pretty confident in saying that the Playoffs as currently structured have major issues as well.

20. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

16 seasons and you're still waiting for the Burn to come see you. :)

Nothing but love for what AEG has done for this league, but Dallas has never been anything more than a drag on this league. If ElJefe wants to talk smack about how Seattle didn't support the Sounders between 84 and 09, then he needs to acknowledge that his city is one of the reasons why MLS went through the dark years and has played no part in the league's resurgence. The fact that he feels the need to smack down any Sounders fan when we've had as much success in our three seasons that FCD has had in its 16 seasons is comical.

21. 760Epicenter

760Epicenter Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Level 1
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

i dont know.....
    FCD has actually made it to the MLS cup finals,
    Qualified for the playoffs all but 4 times in their history,
    Invested in a soccer specific stadium when there were few sponsors, which led to the leagues resurgence
    and was the first MLS team to beat a Mexican team in mexico.

I dont see why a Seattle Sounders fan feels the need to talk bad about a team that pushed to keep MLS solvent, or any MLS team prior to them. Yes, Seattle took what was there and helped MLS with the right plan, but your FO wouldve been just as clueless as the rest of us were back in 1996 with a name other than sounders.

1 person likes this.
  22. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yup. They got us there

During a time when the real feat was to not qualify for the playoffs and a feat the Sounders have done three out of three seasons we've been in the league.

No, they built a concert venue and high school football stadium. It's a real shame that hardly anyone in Dallas knows/cares there is a MLS team there.

Which they did by playing the Mexican team's youth squad with their best squad. A few days later the Sounders beat a Mexican A- squad with our B squad in Mexico. Hate to break it to you, but the Sounders feat is far more impressive than what FC Dallas did.

Because FC Dallas is one of the reasons why the league was insolvent. HSG has made money on PHP, but it isn't because of FCD, it is because of the other events they hold at PHP.

Where am I smack talking about any other team?

Like I said. Nothing but love for AEG and what they have done for this league.

23. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009

Congrads Sounders, Glad to see someone take it seriously. In the end you guys 1 of 4 big throphies 3 years in a row. That is impressive. And in the end its all about the trophies.

24. LyotoM

LyotoM Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Big trophy = SS, MLS Cup, CCL
    Small trophy = USOC, NCC

25. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member