Dreaming of Chicago NASL.

Discussion in 'NASL Expansion' started by ceezmad, Aug 17, 2014.

?

Pick a make believe Chicago NASL name

1. Sting

63 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. Sparta

5 vote(s)
    5.6%
  3. Not the Fire FC

10 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. Other (write name below)

12 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  2. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    #478 newtex, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    The trick is being able to cover the pitcher's mound. That lets you get a wide field reasonably close to the right field stands. The refusal to do that is why the field is so narrow for NYCFC at Yankee Stadium. Wrigley did it for this friendly. Would they do it every other weekend for a NASL team?

3. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I'm pretty sure they would have to. I believe the field at Wrigley is too small to have a usable playing surface otherwise.

4. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know why the Yankees don't just get a retractable pitching mound. This is a solved problem. Ditto the Cubs if they're going to host a soccer team. I can understand it being an issue for minor league parks, but c'mon this is the majors.

5. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    They would probably want the soccer team to pay for it, which is a reasonable expectation in my opinion.

6. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    A portion, but not fully. The Cubs or Yankees would be benefiting too by more easily having other soccer, football, hockey, concert, etc. events there.

Burr and brentgoulet repped this.
  7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rich people (clubs) love it when they can make others pay for their stuff, well we all like that, they are better at getting it.

Prosoccercdn, The One X and SixKick repped this.
  8. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    For the most part those venues probably do not host those kind of events regularly enough to make it a worthwhile investment, especially when I can charge the renter for removing and rebuilding the mound.

9. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    Correct. Rental and operational costs are not an issue regarding venue at this point.

10. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    Actually shares would be $500 PLUS a season ticket.

ceezmad and SixKick repped this.
  11. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you feel confident that NASL will be around for 2018? If it is not, what do you think will happen with your Chicago project and your former club Indy 11?

12. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    Yes i do.

bnyc, Sam U El, Prosoccercdn and 3 others repped this.
  13. pieper1850

pieper1850 Member

Jan 15, 2016
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Is Ryan field big enough for soccer?

14. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It doesn't really matter. Professional teams can't play there.

kenntomasch repped this.
  15. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NASL Targets Chicago, Detroit, Orange County, and San Diego for Expansion
    20 JANUARY 2017

With the NASL alive and well for another season, the league has shifted its focus to the future. Gone (presumably) are the days of grandstanding and false advertising about rapid league growth. Instead, the league has identified four primary markets as a first step towards stable expansion.
    Sources have confirmed to FiftyFive.One that the four markets that have emerged as front-runners for expansion sides are Chicago, Detroit, Orange County, Calif., and San Diego. Each provides a unique opportunity for the NASL, with fresh ownership groups across the board. While interim commissioner Rishi Seghal referred them as “only four of the markets we’re looking at,” sources are confident that the four are at the top of the league’s wishlist.

http://fiftyfive.one/2017/01/exclusive-nasl-interim-commissioner-rishi-sehgal-talks-expansion/

16. Sting111

Sting111 Member+

Jan 17, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I really hope that NASL Chicago makes a go of it. While being a loyal Fire supporter for going on 20 years, it really is hard to support with passion a team that is owned by Andrew and run by NRod. I am trying, but it is just not happening. The team's off-season moves are encouraging. I just really dislike Andrew Hauptman and Nelson Rodriguez. I don't think that I will ever have the same passion for the Chicago Fire as I did prior to the Hauptman era. I bled Chicago Fire red back then. Chicago NASL may be just what I need to bring back the passion that I once had for a team. At least until Andrew Hauptman sells the team!

brentgoulet repped this.
  17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm really digging this new NASL goal of not creating soccer wars with MLS and USL, oh wait...

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  18. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States