Dream playoff final: Burnley-Preston

Discussion in 'League Championship' started by SheffWedFan, May 7, 2009.

1. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The footballing romantic in me would love one of these teams to have a crack at the Premier League next season. Two great old Lancashire teams, both with rich pedigrees (Tom Finney and all that), and neither have been in the top division in years and years - Burnley since 1976, Preston since 1961.

Good luck to both of you!

2. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    In some ways I agree. There is a kind of nostalgic appeal about sides who were good in the past, but have fallen on hard times. I have an irrational soft spot for Blackpool for similar reasons (although having been there three times and see Reading win all three helps) and I'm tempted to take in the FA Vase final on Sunday, just because Glossop North End, the smallest ever top flight club in England, are there.

What I don't buy though is the idea that those towns or their fans somehow deserve to do well, or are well-supported clubs (not claims you have made specifically, but claims that have been made). For all their tradition, Burnley and Preston are still the 4th and 6th worst supported sides in the division, despite being in the mix all season.

3. John K

John K Member

Nov 8, 2007
    If anyone deserves to get into Premiership based on their fanbase then it would be Burnley. They're the best supported club in the country based on percentage of population turning up to watch the team.

4. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Yeah the entire borough is around 90 thousand, with maybe a few fans in Pendle and Rossendale. How many are they expecting to turn up?

5. t.z0n3

t.z0n3 New Member

Oct 14, 2005
    Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    John, I wonder if you have a list for that?