Dream group/pot thread

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by persianfootball, Nov 16, 2017.

1. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I'm not fussed who we draw, I know whoever it is we will find it tough. I just hope we don't draw the highest ranked team in each pot like last time.

2. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It could only happen in a dream as this group is not possible.

IASocFan repped this.
  3. alejo87

alejo87 Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Dream group
    Argentina
    England
    Iran
    Panama

Tero tero tero tero preguntale a los ingleses como pegan los bosteros!!!

4. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
    Is anyone else just really excited about next Friday's draw? Aside from the normal level of interest about who gets in which group and seeing the matchups of every team, potential knockout rounds, and predicting the finalists and so on. Also as it's my first world cup attending (after watching every World Cup on TV since France 98), I am itching to see who the matches I have tickets for are going to be.

Flipmode2000, Paul Calixte and Nico777 repped this.
  5. alejo87

alejo87 Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Same situation here bro. Im so excited!

themanlarry repped this.
  6. laurasoccerfreak

Atlético Mineiro
    Brazil
    Nov 24, 2017
    I'm also completely excited about it. Can't wait.
    But as an experienced WC-attendee (both male and female WCs) I can tell you that if you're in Russia this time you won't get as much from the game itself as when you're comfortable in your armchair. You get so much from the venues, the fans, the atmosphere, that the results, teams, tactics and players aren't that important any longer. I've been in loco to 4 male WCs (and 2 female WCs) and these are the ones I know the less about matches, results etc. I just recall some results as "during that match I was ..." (while at home I watch attentively to all matches).
    Enjoy it!
    It won't be a "normal" WC if you're there. It will be special.
    Although it's Russia ...
    I wish you tons of fun!
    Now let's see what we get in the draw!

themanlarry repped this.
  7. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Portugal (rematch of 2006)
    Mexico (rematch of 2006)
    Iran
    Nigeria (rematch of 2014)

8. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    As I said earlier all will be tough draws for us but I had a go

Best Draw

Poland
    Peru
    Tunisia
    Australia

Worst Draw

Germany
    Uruguay
    Sweden
    Australia

NB: Uruguay is picked as we cant get 3 European teams and rate them the toughest non Euro team. Another tough group (probably just as hard) would be

Brazil
    Spain
    Sweden
    Australia

9. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    From my perspective, the best team Iran can draw from pot 1 would be host Russia. Not just because Russia are arguably the weakest team in pot 1, but because as hosts, their matches will garner special attention and coverage. And, after all, besides results, the World Cup is about playing on the world stage and having the chance to make a a positive impression for the largest audience possible.

For similar reasons, the best team from pot 2 for Iran will be England. I don't think Iran has ever played England before and given the media coverage from the English media that attends games played by England, that will also be similarly positive for us. Conversely, while Peru is arguably the weakest side in pot 2, they are exactly the kind of side whose matches will probably attract the least attention.

We are in pot 3, so we can't draw anyone from that pot even though there are quite a few pot 3 teams that I prefer over the pot 4 sides we can draw.

In pot 4, we can't draw any of the Asian sides. That means we will draw either Nigeria, Morocco, Serbia or Panama. There isn't any ideal match up from pot 4 for me, although there is one side among these teams that I clearly prefer over the others. Otherwise, for a pot 4 side, Nigeria appear (along with Serbia) toughest and while I am certainly not scared of Nigeria, I would prefer a pot 4 side that will not be as challenging. I don't like Iran to draw Morocco either because (a) they are one of the sides I am generally inclined to support in World Cup 2014 and (b) I have a sense they are better than their ranking. There is then Serbia, which I don't want Iran to draw since I rate them among the toughest in pot 4 (along with Nigeria) and since they are the kind of side whose physique can negate one of Iran's (more or less) strong suits. (Indeed, for me the worst draw for Iran from pot 4 would probably be Serbia). And that leaves me, by default, Panama, who also happen to be rated among the weakest sides in the tournament. While I don't see any team in the World Cup as an easy opponent, and despite the fact that Panama aren't going to get much media attention on their own, they are the only pot 4 team that I would be happy for Iran to draw.

So there is my dream draw: Russia, England, Iran, Panama. All who are hoping for this draw, good luck. I am with you.

10. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Eagles (Poland)
    Anglia
    Senegal
    EgYpt

11. Perspolis#1

Perspolis#1 Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Germany Peru Iran Panama

12. NickK

NickK Member

United States
    Feb 20, 2016
    Hoboken, NJ
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Not possible. Senegal and Egypt are both in Pot 3. You also can’t have 2 African teams in a group.

Unak78 and Paul Calixte repped this.
  13. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    Serbians are eagles too! Orlovi

14. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Yeah, I realized this after I posted it. But hey, I tried to be funny. Will work on more realistic EASY combinations soon.

15. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Ok, how about this:

Poland
    Uruguay
    Senegal
    South Korea

As in gentle as a pussycat.

16. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    #66 Iranian Monitor, Nov 29, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    The easiest group on paper would be:

Russia (Poland), Peru (Uruguay or Croatia), Tunisia (Iran), Panama (Saudi Arabia). Each of teams in this group (or the alternatives in parenthesis) would be rated generally as the weakest teams in their respective pot. This despite the fact that Peru actually has the 2nd highest FIFA ranking among the teams in pot 2.

The hardest group on paper would be:

Brazil (Germany, or Portugal, or France or Argentina), Spain, Sweden (or Denmark), Nigeria (or Serbia). Any combination of the teams l mentioned would make for a group of death. Basically, if the highest ranked pot 1 teams find themselves in the same group as Spain, you have the makings of a possible group of death if you also have a Sweden/Denmark and Nigeria/Serbia from pot 3 and pot 4 respectively.

The above also illustrates how conventional wisdom among pundits and football fans would have arranged the pots. If the pots were based on such conventional wisdom, with Russia still getting a pot 1 position as hosts, I think the pots would be arranged as follows:

Pot 1:
    1- Russia 2- Brazil 3- Germany 4- Spain 5-France 6- Argentina 7- Portugal 8- Belgium
    Pot 2:
    9- Colombia 10-England 11-Poland 12-Switzerland 13-Uruguay 14-Mexico 15-Sweden 16- Nigeria
    Pot 3:
    17-Denmark 18-Croatia 19-Peru 20-Serbia 21-Iceland 22-Senegal 23-Costa Rica 24-Iran*
    Pot 4:
    25-Egypt 26-Morocco 27-Tunisia 28-Japan 29-Australia 30-South Korea 31-Panama 32-Saudi Arabia

*I think Iran would still have to be a pot 3 side because (a) unlike Egypt and Morocco who haven't been at the World Cup for a while, this is Iran 3rd World Cup appearance during the last 4 World Cups and Iran's 2nd consecutive appearance; (b) Iran is clearly the highest ranked side in the AFC by all rankings and easily finished top of its group with a couple of games at hand, qualifying to the World Cup as the 3rd team to clinch qualification after hosts Russia and Brazil.

Unak78 repped this.
  17. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    Croatia is not weaker than Swiss Peru Mexico Uruguay or Colombia right now. Anyway you will see it in 7 months.

18. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Italy
    Holland
    Chile
    USA

Iranian Monitor, Paul Calixte and Unak78 repped this.
  19. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It always amazes me how people always think they know who will be the easy teams. Due to many factors I can see Peru, Senegal, Nigeria, Iran & Morocco being tough opponents. Non one imagined Costa Rica, Greece, Algeria would do so well in 2014 and having seen how awful the eastern European teams were in 2016 they could easily be the teams you want.

Unak78, Zandi360 and themanlarry repped this.
  20. Timanfaya

Timanfaya Member+

May 31, 2005
    Southampton
    You're safe of course, it can't happen. However, with the ranking being how it is, is Costa Rica instead of Denmark an improvement?

21. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Perhaps. I put Croatia above Peru, but the "conventional wisdom" pots I suggested did have Colombia, Mexico and Uruguay rated in pot 2. Anyway, good luck to Croatia. I am favorably inclined towards Croatia's team due to the fact that we have had many Croatian coaches working in Iran.

Nico777 repped this.
  22. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    Greece and Croatia are both balkanic south east countries in europe and Greece reached round 16 in 2014 so you can't say on one hand that Greece did well and on the other hand that eastern european countries did not.

I reckon many people here don't know really the geography in europe.

Croatia and Bosnia that were present in 2014 are closer to italia greece and turkey than they are to poland russia etc.

Then in 2016 Croatia with a mixed team full of youngsters beat Spain main team to top the group. And lost to Portugal that won the euro only from a goal at the 118th minute from a counter attack.

Not that bad...

Anyway let whoever that wants us get us and we will see :)))
    we don't fear anyone. Brazil Argentina Germany etc included. We can beat anyone.

themanlarry repped this.
  23. Flipmode2000

Flipmode2000 Member

Feb 28, 2012
    USA -Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    As a Colombian I'll take a

Poland/Portugal
    Colombia
    Serbia
    Iran

24. laurasoccerfreak

Atlético Mineiro
    Brazil
    Nov 24, 2017
    Actually I pay more attention to the "neighbor groups" than to the primary group itself.
    Because while the groups are sort of balanced, the playoff opponents aren't at all! It's better you get a powerhouse in the first group but get a neighbor group without any. Your chances of reaching the third phase increase a lot.
    Like ... you get to an easy group A while group B has for instance Brazil and Spain ...

You know, when people talk about "Eastern Europe" it's still more about language/culture and 20th Century politics than to simple geography.
    In these terms everybody tend for instance to put Slovenia in the same bag as Poland, but not as Italy.
    Despite of "territorial" geography.

Paul Calixte and Ric_Braz repped this.
  25. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did a mock draw and came up with this group:

Russia
    Colombia
    Iceland
    Morocco

Probably not a bad deal actually for Colombia...

Flipmode2000 repped this.