Draft anyone?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Excape Goat, Apr 12, 2015.

1. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm not even that concerned about the attributes right now. I agree with most of what you say. I would make changes as well if we move forward. Like I said, I disagree with quite a bit, but what's already there is a tremendous foundation already. However, for now, there's no point making any change unless there's interest in the draft. What's the point of working on the database, if it's not going to be used? That is too many man hours spent for no reason.

So, I'd rather find out first if there is even any interest in such a draft.

2. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah, agreed.

3. Di Pecruydona

Di Pecruydona Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Hamburg
    Club:
    MSV Duisburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I would be interested as i did not participate in any draft yet in this forum:thumbsup::whistling:

4. Bestie

Bestie Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Count me in!

5. Bestie

Bestie Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    So, what happens if we pick a player that isn't in the database?

Also, would you provide the profiles of all players in the database? People who play FM would know which attributes matter more and stuff, specially when choosing formation and tactics, so would be important to know what the player profile is before picking him.
    Lastly, would be interesting if we can also decide Team and Player instructions for the match up.

6. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If we go ahead, I will post a link to uneditable Google Doc with a list of around 350-400 players (we don't need more than that,) sorted by position, and in alphabetical order. You will see exactly who is available for drafting, and you will also see what each player looks like. You can click on any name, and see their profile as an image, just like in my post. So everyone will have access to the exact same database and information.

I will try to explain every attribute as well as I can, in the Google Doc as well.

As for tactic, everyone will hand in their tactic in a form I've created. I've used it to help new players learn to play FM before, so it's quite comprehensive. It only takes 15 min to complete, if you already have a tactic in mind. You will be able to customize the formation, philosophy, the match strategy, the team instructions, and the personal instructions. The whole thing really. With simple multiple choices :)

7. Bestie

Bestie Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Sounds brilliant!

That would be useful for people who don't play FM, nice one!

Again, awesome! :D
    As a chronic FM addict, it won't be that tedious to fill out the tactics form.

8. Bestie

Bestie Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    One last thing, the only thing that I believe that you need to add is the in-game changes and shouts.
    I don't think it would be practical for posters to be updated live during a match up, so we can possibly give 2-3 sets of changes and shouts given how the game is going. e.g. what subs to make in case we are losing/winning and also what shouts to give out for the same.
    I personally make loads of changes during the matches but it's not practical for a third person running the game to do that, so covering all bases should be fine.

9. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    None of that will be allowed, for practical purposes. You go into each game with one tactic, and one tactic only. Also, the more options available, the more advantage FM players have. By only having one tactic, no change, players who are new to the engine has a much better chance, since they can build a tactic based on their football knowledge easily enough.

I will make an exception for red cards, of which each manager will tell me before hand how they'll deal with it.

10. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I guess you would play all games in versus mode? To account for injuries, and different formation choices would we be drafting up to 16 players maybe (and then the most suitable player comes on if somebody gets injured? Maybe we can specify the best role for each sub which would at least leave scope to change the role of the player if not the shape of the team if someone gets injured and a slightly different type has to replace him?).

11. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yep, all games in versus mode.

I wouldn't mind drafting up to the modern 18, if people are up for it. There are enough players, but that might make the drafting process a little too long

Yes, I don't mind changing roles, but not position. It makes it a wee bit too complicated. Basically, each player will have a "sub" when you fill out the form. So I know who to sub in, when said player is injured.

PDG1978 repped this.
  12. Bestie

Bestie Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Yeah, there would have to be some preparation in such events. Fair enough if you don't want to allow changes in response to a player's game rating, condition etc but some preparation would have to be there, right?

You can make it optional. Those who don't wanna submit that, could leave it to you or the game to do it automatically.

13. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    There are no automatic changes in the versus mode.

Just think of it like a normal draft game. You go in with a starting XI and a tactic. You don't get to make changes. The only difference is instead of the game being played in voters' bains, it's being played on the match engine.

14. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Another comparative look, this time at central defenders:

[​IMG]

One of the best pure tank defender in the game. His combination of tackling, bravery, balance, and strength makes him an absolute beast. However, he does have two clear weaknesses. One, he might struggle against the silky dribblers, due to his lack of acceleration and agility. Two, he can be beaten by smarter strikers because although his marking and positioning aren't bad, they're not legendary, and he is lacking a bit in terms of anticipation and concentration. So a Gerd Muller could take advantage by beating him to balls played into the box, by getting there first.

[​IMG] ]

Baresi is the opposite of Sol Campbell. While not particularly lacking in athleticism, he is obviously no match to Campbell's physicality. He does have higher acceleration though, which counts for a lot in the box. As far as the art of defending goes, I haven't seen anyone rated more highly than Baresi. His combination of marking, positioning, concentration, and anticipation is higher than anyone I've seen so far. He also has the benefit of not being as limited as Campbell, on the ball. A striker like R9 could probably beat Baresi though. Obviously, if R9 doesn't move around, he'll get marked out of the game by Baresi. But if he leaves Baresi's zone, picks up the ball, and run at Baresi at high speed, I think Baresi would struggle to stop him. The physical mismatch is just too much.

15. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Definitely not to get too much into it mate, but just sticking to pace, and while I think about it, Baresi IMO is quicker than that for sure. His acceleration was certainly very good I'd say but also outright pace higher than that (can't remember what I entered but IMO below 15 would seem too low). It's only my view though atm I suppose, and I haven't checked what PES stats have him down with atm (if it's around 90 then IIRC that'd equate to what I'm suggesting).

16. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    "What is speed? The sports press often confuses speed with insight. See, if I start running slightly earlier than someone else, I seem faster." -Johan Cruyff

I think this is the case with many of the best defenders. They're usually not genuinely faster than their striker counterparts, but because they read the game well, they can seem faster. This is also why players like Ruud van Nisterooy can sometimes seem fast, but he was actually just smarter than the defenders.

In the FM engine, unless you play a high line, central defenders rarely ever get to reach top speed anyway. How often do they get to run 20 yards anyway.

17. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    #167 PDG1978, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
    Hmm, yeah I agree with the Cruyff comment....but I also think he was definitely pretty quick (as was Baresi but a bit less so I think). My perception at least is Baresi could give a Van Nistelrooy or say Raul a few yards and overtake them, and he was also quick running with the ball at times when he 'turned on the gas' so to speak.

But like you've said these are discussions for later and best for me not to get too much into it and clog the thread when all we want atm is for people to sign up for the proposed draft! (even if it happens a bit down the line after a European draft or two and suchlike).

EDIT - In essence I agree with Zico, Maldini, Gullit and Brian Laudrup here (taking what Parlour says on board definitely but feeling Carragher is wrong on the pace issue):
    https://arjyomitra94.wordpress.com/2015/09/01/quotes-on-franco-baresi/

18. Bestie

Bestie Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  19. el cabezon

el cabezon Member

Jun 28, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Are there any footie draft running currently?

20. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Are we up for another draft soon?

21. La-Máquina

La-Máquina BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 5, 2013
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    After the success of the All-Time South American Draft (HERE was the final), I thought it was now time to start the All-Time European Draft.

Similar drafting format - we'll be drafting a squad of 14 players.

Here are the pools I suggest (happy to confer, HERE are other suggestions):

Pool A (draft 4 players from Pool A, maximum 2 per country):
    France
    Germany
    Italy

Pool B (draft 4 players from Pool B, maximum 2 per country):
    England
    Netherlands
    Portugal
    Spain

Pool C (draft 5 players from Pool C, maximum 1 per country):
    Austria