Draft anyone?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Excape Goat, Apr 12, 2015.

1. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Oh, the only problem is mate that we need the teams completed. How about if I picked the squad though and you just took charge after that and submitted line-ups (even if you didn't spend a lot of time on it)?

I guess you could be surprised to an extent in terms of how many well-known Italians there are. I feel like after Brazil they have the deepest pool probably.

2. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Benelux-A are due to play Argentina-B so I can't really check if La-Maquina would swap them for Italy Reserves. If anyone would have been equipped for it, he would! But yes, I can come up with the names and you take a look poetgooner at how the squad has shaped up?

The picking of teams for each game shouldn't need to be time consuming (especially if you view the team as a bonus team, and outsider), but it's just nice if we can round out the set of teams with everyone taking 4 jobs. Like I say, you have the 3 seeded teams, so I felt since everyone else has a non-seeded one it kind of worked that way too (even if thebigman's non-seeded team is the even more stacked Brazil Reserves - I do think it's realistic it is non-seeded now that it will be picked from the leftover players after the draft though of course!).

3. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I've just realised I have a team in the group Italy Reserves will be in (and so does La-Maquina)! I'd try to pick the best 23 I could if we went with what I just suggested though.

thebigman could volunteer to swap Brazil Reserves for Italy Reserves, but I can't really expect him to if he wouldn't fancy it. There wouldn't be any conflict in the draw though, so it would work ok.

If we removed Italy Reserves would there be another team you'd like to take instead poetgooner (or thebigman if you gave Brazil Reserves to poet)? We could do a Rest of Europe but there is not much left Europe wise really. I didn't think there was much interest in an Oceania/Asia team, in terms of someone managing it (hence at the moment I suggested giving Excape Goat Rest of the World, which even includes European nations currently although it doesn't have to).

4. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    When I say another team, I want to be clear: I mean another team not currently in the draw, that we could add instead.

5. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Hi, mate.

There's is a proper thread, where we can post the Full-Squads?

Or, maybe you're waiting to complete all teams, before making it?

6. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah, just waiting on agreeing the final team to be honest.

I am quite tired though (couldn't sleep a lot last night) so it might not be soon, but I'm hoping to get things sorted asap really. I think maybe making the thread would require a clearer head than I have at the moment, but I hope I've done an ok job so far organising things!

msioux75 repped this.
  7. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    If you had any ideas to resolve the impasse feel free to suggest things of course anyway.

I don't know if it seemed like I was pushing a team on poetgooner. On the other hand I wanted to try to be persuasive, even a bit assertive in a nice way (including with Peru), otherwise we'd have been struggling to complete the required teams and none of us would get to play the game at all. That we are so close made me keen to try to get things agreed in full. A manager can possibly take 5 teams, so maybe that's a solution if I can't give poetgooner another team he'd be happy with (obviously I don't want to upset him, and make him drop the 3 he already has lol....not that I think that will happen).

8. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    @poetgooner and I, will make Argentina A,B in a quick draft, I think.

Unless, he wants to make both Argentina and give the Italian-reserve instead,with it seems he felt less comfortable.

9. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Well, I guess I can offer to swap Benelux-B for Italy reserves, and @poetgooner could do the Benelux draft with @La-Máquina (I'm just about to read what comes next via my alert, but thought I'd send this now typed anyway!).

10. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Haha we both offer our seeded teams. Maybe my offer should be the one to go with since I am organiser. It is ok if poet wants to do a Benelux team, if it keeps him on board and satisfied he can make 4 good squads. I already suggested I could make a decent Italy Reserves (not a team that would be in contention of course though, but that doesn't matter - it is more about getting 32 teams sorted).

Thanks for your offer too msioux (I hope I didn't inadvertently pressure you into it - I didn't have something like that in mind from you but just wondered if you had any great ideas).

I'm sure we will get things sorted fairly soon anyway, and yes I was hoping poet might be ok with Italy Reserves but didn't mean to make it seem like I could count on it. He's a welcome participant with his 3 teams anyway, but yeah we either need to get him a satisfactory 4th, or find someone to take one team or sort things so that one of us takes a 5th team (but me and La-Maquina are blocked from doing Italy reserves on top of our Benelux teams if we retain them).

msioux75 repped this.
  11. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't want to be a bother. I'll let you decide who I should take.@PDG1978

12. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    No it's ok, you're not being (it could equally seem like I'm being a bother to you by wanting you to take an obscure 4th team lol) and you're being polite. I guess you remember that organising things (like you did with the FM draft) is not always simple though lol.

Would a Benelux drafted team (Netherlands/Belgium combined in effect mostly) suit you ok if I did do the swap with you, and let you draft with La-Maquina? I'd be happy enough to forego that team in exchange for getting the draw complete lol!

13. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Argentina's drafting in process :)

14. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah I can do that. Never drafted the Belgians, so it could be fun.

15. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Ok that's sorted then. I'll leave you two to the Argentina drafting, and get an attempt at Italy Reserves drawn up.

Then @La-Máquina can arrange with his new Benelux drafting partner later on sometime.

msioux75 repped this.
  16. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    In terms of the new thread I think I will still come back to that at some point tomorrow (potentially late afternoon too) most likely though.

But that would be a full week ahead of everyone needing to submit their line-ups anyway.

In effect we do have full agreement on 32 teams being taken now so I'm happy with that.

I'll see if poet uses Benelux picks 2 and 3 as I had planned to (I hadn't thought any further obviously....but La-Maquina could yet make a surprise pick 1 anyway!).

17. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    #517 PDG1978, Jul 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Italy Reserves 23 player squad
    1 - Gianluca Pagliuca
    2 - Alessandro Costacurta
    3 - Antonio Benarrivo
    4 - Demetrio Albertini
    5 - Roberto Rosato
    6 - Pierluigi Cera
    7 - Roberto Donadoni
    8 - Giacomo Bulgarelli
    9 - Roberto Boninsegna
    10 - Giussepe Giannini
    11 - Pierino Prati
    12 - Gianluca Zambrotta
    13 - Francesco Toldo
    14 - Giancarlo De Sisti
    15 - Pietro Vierchowod
    16 - Marco Verratti
    17 - Attilio Lombardo
    18 - Benito Carbone
    19 - Enrico Chiesa
    20 - Giussepe Signori
    21 - Dino Baggio
    22 - Roberto Mancini
    23 - Luigi De Agostini

Titanlux and Perú FC repped this.
  18. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    I think, Argentina could be the 2nd in deepest pool, imho.
    Excluding defenders, of course

19. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Speak for yourself, I'm struggling with names now, in our draft, so I'm leaning more on modern names. I'm really overworking Google lol.

msioux75 repped this.
  20. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I'm ok with excluding defenders!

No, only joking, I possibly see what you mean but I haven't thought about it a huge amount (I know there are multiple 1940s Argentine legends to factor in to the equation). Italy Reserves did require slightly more thinking about than I envisaged probably overall! Titanlux has got quite a lot of attacking options in his Italy A/B squads though already.

21. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Since you picked Zanetti, I'd to pick two reserves fullbacks.
    I've almost pick a 2nd reserve-CB, but there's no much DF to choose from.
    But there's still plenty of talent in offensive players, remaining 5 picks to complete the squad

22. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I had to pick Zanetti cos you picked two of the big three! :p

23. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Yeah!

Since, I knew this will be a two-drafters process, I let you the first pick, to take the double picks then ;):cool:

btw, I think Bati could overlap with ADS as #9 in my team

24. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    [​IMG]

msioux75 repped this.
  25. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    CONCACAF All-Time Team
    I am asking the eligibility of Jocelyn Angloma who played for Guadeloupe at a Gold Cup. If he is eligible, I would select him over Gustavo Pena of Mexico.

GK: Keylor Navas (Costa Rica)
    GK: Brad Freidel (USA)
    GK: Kasey Keller (USA)
    RB: Steve Cherundolo (USA)
    RB: Gustavo Pena (Mexico)
    CB: Rafael Marquez (Mexico)
    CB/DM: Thomas Dooley (USA)
    CB: Claudio Suarez (Mexico)
    CB: Wes Morgan (Jamaica)
    LB: Emilio Izaguirre (Honduras)
    LB: Bruce Wilson (Canada)
    DM: Mauricio Solis (Costa Rica)