Down to the Wire: U.S. announces U20 World Cup Roster on 5/9/17 (5/20-6/11/2017)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by SUDano, May 8, 2017.

1. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lederman never made the starting 11 for any of our youth teams. The word is he wasn't strong enough (physically).

Gacm32 repped this.
  2. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Not so much for Jerome sure. But Bobby Wood credits Klinsmans's call-ups for keeping him going. There were many wondering why Wood would get called in over, "proven MLS players." He was called in to help his club career.

I'm shocked that people don't think NT coaches want their best prospect's club careers to prosper.

Occam's Razor says Tab thinks Akale and Haji-Wright are not good enough or won't play well on his team. But this is an internet bulletin board, it is suppose to be fun to discuss things.

3. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Players have a zillion reasons for making club decisions. The national team is just one.

Yes, for Wood - Klinsmann helped out. But he also tried to "help out" players like Miguel Ibarra, Caleb Stanko, Jerome Kiesewetter, William Yarborough, and others that were counterproductive. Julian Green was rushed through the U.S. set up and I don't think it served him well.

National team caps are a finite resource. There are only limited opportunities. The more pointless experiments you undertake (like Jermaine Jones at centerback) the less time you can use to maybe look at Walker Zimmerman, Matt Hedges, Matt Miazga - you know, like real centerbacks.

Klinsmann tried to micromanage things and that is not his job. Most of the time, players know what is the best decision for them. Do you push an 18 year old to a European academy or should he stay in MLS where he can start games and then maybe work his way overseas? There is NO right answer. Players have succeed taking either path. They've also failed too.

I can give examples all day long. It was a very good move for Matt Miazga to start in MLS AND to move abroad when he did. He has told me the same thing. I think Kellyn Acosta was served right to start in MLS with Dallas (obviously NYRB and Dallas are two teams where you want to start if you're a young player. Teams in MLS are very different) and I think Acosta will be in Europe within 12-18 months. I think it is obvious that Pulisic, McKennie, Gooch, and Hyndman were smart to move abroad when they did. I think Nagbe made a mistake signing a new deal with Portland

I don't think Tab is there trying to manage the club careers of his U-20 players (which could end up being counterproductive if he did). That will happen on its own.

Tab is trying to pick the best hand possible - which due to injuries and club refusals - isn't that great at the moment. Two of his most controversial cuts are Akale (abroad) and Farfan (domestic) but even if he had both, I don't see that having a dramatic effect.

4. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I heard a live interview with Tab this morning, and he flat out said that Schalke and Fiorentina simply refused to release their players. Period. So there's that. He did confirm, as people have noted, that Fossey is out with injury. And he also praised EPB, saying that he has about the highest ceiling for a player out of the back that he had ever seen in the US. In describing it, he said that you could tell that as he won the best player of the u-20 tournament even though "he played out of position. He is a centerback."

5. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because Fulham has a TERRIBLE record putting trust in American players.

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Where did you see this interview?

Also, yeah, completely agree about what he said about EPB. I've been saying the same thing that Tab is saying (and I think you have said it as well).

7. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The interview was on Sirius XM FC ... with (I believe) Phil Schoen and one other person as the interviewers. I could be wrong about the radio personalities though, so dont hold me to it. And yes, I have been saying that EPB is definitely a CB (as opposed to a dmid, long-term). It just shows you how good he is that he could play out of position and still be so effective. But the notion that he should be permanently moved forward is fairly ridiculous to me. We arent nearly as gifted in the back as some think ... plus I simply think he is far superior to some of the other talent we have in the back.

Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  8. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    Sometimes giving guys a platform and confidence gives them the push they need for success at the club level

9. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes. Sometimes not.

Sometimes when you give a guy a platform (when other players are better), they start believing they're better than they are and buy into the hype. I've seen it on more than one time.

Or sometimes when you give a guy a platform when (when other players are better) they know they don't deserve to be there and he has zero effect on their career. I've seen that too.

Also,

When you start emphasizing call-ups to showcase players, there is a huge risk it'll kill team morale. Some players are there that don't belong. Some players, who are still good, are not there because the coach doesn't like the club. It could turn into a huge mess

10. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Are youth coaches sports psychologists now? They have to see into the psyche of a player and the crystal ball of development to just feel which players will be able to use the naming to their youth championship roster as the best possible benefit to improvement?
    So much so that they may be able to convince top international scouts that they belong. This assumes alot that is just unknowable. Let the normal domestic and international methods of scouting apply. If some player gains that benefit to exposure, terrific but that can not start to becoming why coaches pick players to tournament rosters. Once we lose meritocracy we lose everything positive that it brings.

Peretz48, Winoman and bshredder repped this.
  11. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I agree with everything you say. It was said, above, that it was stupid to think national team coaches pick players to jhelp their club careers. I, and others, and you acknowledge it, argued Klinsman did it, so to say it is impossible is ignorant. Your point about it not being a good idea is a different discussion.

It does happen. I suggested a thought experiment that Tab is doing it. We will never know until he writes his book for sure. I enjoyed the discussion though.

12. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Do we have a reason as to why Akale did not make the team? Like a real reason? Not that any of the attackers in this group are better than him....

13. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tab doesn't rate him. Maybe stupid by Tab, maybe not. Time to move on from the topic.

14. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is where a few years from now Akale is either another Junior Flores who wasn't as good as the hype suggested or Tab looks really stupid. The alternate is Tab wants to play very defensive and thinks others are better in that area.

15. TMBMiles

TMBMiles Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Mar 31, 2017
    Pulisic just won the penalty that secured Dortmund top 3. And people in here wanted Tuchel to let him leave for the U20 world cup. lol

16. Gooch_Onyewu

Gooch_Onyewu Member

Jan 30, 2008
    VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we know if CCV and Glad will be healthy?

17. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't believe anyone does out side of their clubs and Tab's staff. We do know they aren't in game shape. Calls for either to start IF they are healthy seem a little panicky to me.

18. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Ready to admit that you are wrong?

19. EricSunRa

EricSunRa Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 29, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Literally all of the goals in the U-20 WC to date have been created by these two.

20. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Don't let facts get in the way of a good rant.

21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think there's a point to what he said.

They are two of our three AM's, so of course there's a good chance that they will have created our goals. That still doesn't automatically mean they are going to be good players at higher levels or are as good as some players left off this team.

I don't think either is an eventual NT player. Maybe they get a few caps, I don't see either getting more than five caps.

deejay repped this.
  22. EricSunRa

EricSunRa Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 29, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    They are two of our three AM's, so of course there's a good chance that they will have created our goals. That still doesn't automatically mean they are going to be good players at higher levels or are as good as some players left off this team.

I don't think either is an eventual NT player. Maybe they get a few caps, I don't see either getting more than five caps.[/QUOTE]
    They both have their limitations. All we can ask them to do is be effective now. They're succeeding. As for the future, who knows?

ussoccer97531 and beerslinger23 repped this.
  23. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I see them both being better than Bedoya or Zusi. I don't see players of that level getting many more caps in future years. So I sort of agree with you. I think, though, that these are the type of players that allow us to rest easy when injuries happen.

24. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I see Taitague scored for the Schalke U19s again today (Haji had a hat trick on the weekend). What I'm confused about is that I thought the season and the Cup were over. What are these games and is McKennie playing? What is going on?

Starman* repped this.
  25. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe it's a regional cup.