Down to the Wire: U.S. announces U20 World Cup Roster on 5/9/17 (5/20-6/11/2017)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by SUDano, May 8, 2017.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    ChuckMe92, Winoman, ielag and 3 others repped this.
  2. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    an awful lot of question marks surrounding this squad now....

TxEx, Gacm32 and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  3. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    DLT outran Mexico's RB multiple times, not that that makes him winger fast.

Gacm32 repped this.
  4. cemartt

cemartt New Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Yeah, where is Lederman when it comes to US play? When was his last Cap? Next? Is there any recent video of him while at Bradenton? A recent scorecard?

5. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just catching up with everything......is it correct that Acosta and Herrera starting at outside back is basically inevitable at this point? Yikes.

Gacm32 and Giggsy1986 repped this.
  6. tippco333

tippco333 Member

AC Perugia
    United States
    Jun 12, 2015
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This started South and still managed to go further south

TxEx and Gacm32 repped this.
  7. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is indeed what happened. Same with Haji

ChuckMe92, Anderson11, Peretz48 and 4 others repped this.
  10. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Listening to tab coach gives me a head ache.

Gacm32 repped this.
  11. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    How about a different angle on this roster? Start with the premise that Ramos is not insane (just a premise)...

UEFA countries and teams simply don't value the FIFA U20 WC as a development tool. They will scout it though to look for non-UEFA talent. If you look at the US roster and Ramos's decisions, there is the possibility that players were picked to be showcased. All the players picked need a European move (CCV, Zelalem, the Fulham guys); or are domestic based MLS players. Guys with good European club situations were not included as they don't need a move (Olosunde, McKennie, Haji, Taitague, Akale, Robinson, etc.). Ramos has said the main job of the U20 team is to feed the USMNT, not to win trophies. Having players play high level European soccer is the best way to improve the USMNT (at least between now and 2026). It is hard to believe that Ramos simply does not rate a player that could play in the Bundesliga this weekend (Haji-Wright) to the point of total exclusion. He won't come out and say it, as it is a little insulting to the players he does have.

If you look at the roster with the question, "who needs to be showcased?"; everything starts to make sense. However, this does not preclude the totally valid discussion of whether there are other MLS players that should be in Korea instead of the ones that are (Farfan vs Trusty/Herrera). But it does explain Olosunde/Robinson vs. Hererra/Acosta.

anivha, Footsatt and Giggsy1986 repped this.
  12. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice theory but it's not true. Tab chooses who he believes are the best players available for selection. It doesn't matter what country they play. "Showcasing" players isn't really on his mind - and it shouldn't be.

Sometimes Tab gets it right and some times he gets it wrong. He's made bad cuts from domestic-based players (Zimmerman, Morris, Roldan) and bad cuts from foreign-based players (Gooch). He's also cut players from abroad who are the flavor of the day among American fans (Yomba, Flores). The Flores cut angered a lot of people, but it was the right call.

14. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    I agree Zelalem needs a move but why CCV and the Fulham players? What actually makes Carter-Vicker's and de la Torre's club situation bad while Olosunde's and Robinson's is good: it's the former two who have actually had first team minutes this season while the latter two don't look likely to make that step at their current clubs

In a typical U20 squad you'd be lucky to get 3-4 good senior international players so I really don't see the point of using youth tournaments to "showcase" mediocrities who are only fringe players in the U20 group. Why would you want European scouts picking up your mediocre talent, or worse thinking that the best you have to offer is mediocrity? If you're moaning about them being on the squad for the U20 World Cup they're probably not cut out for high level European football.

15. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Fulham is a Championship side, have decent youth development historically but not sure recently, but where are they going? They refused to play Hyndman for a year. I wouldn't doubt that USSF would rather get our players out of there and to EPL clubs if possible.

CCV is #5 on the depth chart at Tottenham. He has hardly played this year and needs a loan. I thought that was obvious.

Zelalem also needs a move or new loan. I think some clubs value their U23 team and others don't. Ending up on the Dortmund or Arsenal U23 team, for instance, is a dead end. Zelelam needs to move; much like Julian Green moved this January.

How you use "mediocre" could be changed to "undeveloped". To think any American player is a finished product at 19 is silly.

16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Don't believe he's played for the USA at the U-17 level in any big tournaments. He got in some closed-door friendlies, I believe, and got some U-15 call ups, but since then, nothing, really.

At Barcelona, he does play, and occasionally contributes a big moment, but he's for the most part a back up.

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    As full-back options? Yes. They are the only two full-backs remaining on the roster.

If Tab wants to use Redding, Glad, Palmer-Brown, Adams, Trusty (NO) at those positions, maybe we'll see a change. I can't think his only options at full-back are those two, he has to have other options in mind, in case of an injury or suspension, so maybe he'll use those other options as his starters, and the two "full-backs" will be reserves.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  18. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    This is stupid. If de la Torre was one of the team's star players then yes he would have to leave to make progress but that isn't the case. Put him on a PL squad and he'd get zero first team appearances and play for the U23 squad, leave him at Fulham and he could progress to making some Championship appearances next season. Look what happened to Hyndman after he got his Premier League move: even less game time followed by a loan into a league where the average team is weaker than in the championship.

I think that a European scout's mindset will be more like mine than yours. I don't think they'll be trying to sign many undeveloped 20 year olds.

19. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I tend to believe you have the inside on this and I'm simply trying to figure out how Ramos is picking players without any personal knowledge of the process. However, I think even Jurgen at the USMNT was very into showcasing players to get them a move to Europe. He started Yedlin when he was still very raw and not the best option at RB. He did the same with many young players that then moved to Europe (Kitchen, Shea, are two more). Older players that weren't going to move like Dax, Feilhaber, didn't get calls. He constantlyl called in Bobby Wood when he needed it to keep his career in Europe going. There was no point over the past 4 years that Kitchen should have been called in over Dax, but it constantly happened because Dax was settled in MLS and Kitchen (or Mix or Bedoya) was willing, "to push himself out of his comfort zone".

Ramos is his own man, but I doubt he would have lasted this long if he didn't buy into Klinsmans's idea that our best players need to be playing in the top leagues in Europe.

It just seems incredibly coincidental that the players he didn't pick are where you would want them to be developing. Again, he can't admit it because it instantly kills the morale of the players he has brought. I'm sure Ramos wants to win. But I'm also sure, and he and all the USYNT coaches have said it time and again, that feeding players to the USMNT and USWNT are the #1 job.

Flores was at Dortmund (I would think the important U19 not the U23); which totally fits my theory. That he hasn't worked out is neither here nor there; most of these players will not.

20. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    #420 USSoccerNova, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
    I can't speak to the others, but CCV is too good of a prospect to be sitting on the Spurs bench and not getting any games. He's in a tough situation where he's clearly too good for reserve ball but not quite experienced enough to start for a top team competing for a spot in the CL. I don't really follow his team closely, but I believe I read here that he's behind a solid set of starting CBs and didn't get much luck on the injury/suspension front this season. Seems like Tottenham feels the same and I imagine they'll strongly consider loaning him next year if they don't anticipate he'll play much with the first team.

As for Zelalem, he has a unique skill-set and could still develop into a top player if he matures physically and tactically. That said, he needs to earn a move to a better situation through more consistent and impactful play. Mediocre performances on loan to teams in mediocre leagues isn't going to cut it. The U20 WC is heavily scouted and thus a good opportunity to impress. I hope he makes the most of it!

No real opinion on the others as I don't follow the players and teams closely enough, but my gut says that they're about where they should be given the competitive dynamic on their respective teams and their overall talent/potential. That said, if/when their development truly stalls at the current level, I hope they find more appropriate situations as soon as possible.

21. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NT coaches don't pick players to showcase for club moves. That's kind of a crazy statement.

Euro moves are a byproduct of being a standout.

22. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    ahhh sorry no. Kunga played U14 NT so he got noticed before Atlanta United ever existed.

23. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    I'm not so sure. JK jumpstarted Kiesewetter's career when he wasn't even making appearances for Stuttgart II.

24. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Its a huge fallacy that youth national teams don't pick top players at big clubs and pick less talented players to improve their club situations. Youth coaches want to keep their jobs and look good for other employers. They have personal pride. They care about winning and advancing for the overall health of the country and its youth programs. There are many existing structures and processes for players to address their club situations.

25. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #425 bshredder, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Worked out great