Down to the Wire: U.S. announces U20 World Cup Roster on 5/9/17 (5/20-6/11/2017)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by SUDano, May 8, 2017.

1. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Yep, Olosunde probably wasn't on the prelim roster, same with Farfan.

Actually would love to see who were all the fullbacks on the prelim roster. I mean was Borges the only other? And he's still injured I guess.

Gacm32 repped this.
  2. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :oops:

3. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fossey is a huge loss. The quality and depth of our fullbacks is now a large concern.

Adding a real fullback like Farfan instead of a fifth CB like Trusty would have made a lot more sense.

Maitreya, TCS35, Alexisonfire and 3 others repped this.
  4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Fullback has been a problem every cycle under Tab. He's made some very odd decisions at fullback over the years........................................

TxEx, Tom Collingsworth and Gacm32 repped this.
  5. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jugador inflado = inflated player. I don't think so. I think he is a legit forward

6. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Bravo, Tab.

7. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that Tab can be a little slow to recognize changes in the depth chart late in the cycle. Or at least, he values (overvalues, IMO) continuity in the squad to the point that he'll include a lesser player over an unfamiliar one.

Tom Collingsworth and ielag repped this.
  8. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Yep, one of the only ways it seems to become a member of Tab's plans later in an U20 cycle is if a player forces it through his club performance. Or the rare exception like Kunga.

9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    By this, do you mean Yedlin, Payne, or the overflowing jug of left backs we're constantly producing that he ignored? ;)

Sebsasour and Patrick167 repped this.
  10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I was even going back to him putting an undersized NCAA centerback (Boyd Okwuono) at right back for the CONCACAF Championships in 2013. It had the anticipated consequences in the first game as the athletic Haitians ran circles around him. That was a game we were fairly lucky to win............................

As far as I can tell Boyd Okwuono is now out of soccer, while the unselected DeAndre Yedlin played in a World Cup only a year later. I'm talkin' about those kinds of decisions!

[Ramos had fixed the mistake by the time the World Cup came around.]

I will admit that hindsight is 20-20 when it comes to these things. However, even at the time folks were wondering what was going on at right back with that 2013 team.

That 2013 team was veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery lucky to qualify for the World Cup. The do-or-die game we played was against a poor Canada squad.

Left back is left back.

Gacm32 repped this.
  11. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Kunga played for single A Paideia High School located in Druid Hills a suburb of Atlanta, Single A soccer in Georgia is dominated by private schools and I would venture a guess that the Single A Champion would easily win against AA and AAA and possibly AAAA Champions. Paideia won the State Championship in 2014 Kunga Freshman year on the back of one of his goals(The famous flying volley). In his Sophomore year Paideia only reached the sweet sixteen. His junior year Paideia again won the single A state championship. This year I believe Kunga was busy elsewhere (trying out for this team) and Paideia only achieved the elite eight. According to an interview on youtube Kunga is a product of DDYSC Wolves (super Y).

Winoman, Eighteen Alpha and GoingGoaling repped this.
  12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    A good screen name, available for the taking.

anivha repped this.
  13. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nelson was on the preliminary roster and in theory could be added

I think with adding Trusty there is doubt that Glad or CCV might not make it.

14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Ramos said as much:

Wasn't Nelson an alternate for qualifying too?

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    :)!!!!!

Left back has been a discussion point for just about every American team, senior or youth, for as long as I can remember. When we think we have one at the youth levels he either disappears or switches to another position. Kellyn Acosta was a left back at Bradenton. If he'd just stayed at left back throughout his whole development process, maybe he'd be a USMNT-quality left back. But of course, when you have a talent like that in the US you want to move him to a more impactful position..............so FCD moved him to central mid (which Kellyn reportedly thought of as his natural position all along).

Historical Note: John O'Brien played left back quite a bit at Ajax (when he did actually play). For the USMNT, we used him at Central mid..............of course.

16. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    But then we'd still need to add another player. So why not add a natural fullback first to replace Fossey? And if CCV or Glad need to be replaced, then add Trusty.

TCS35, Tom Collingsworth and wellno repped this.
  17. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    FWIW, I think Trusty also plays LB, or at least he did for the youth teams at some point.

18. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    He played that one match during qualifying, mainly just because he's left footed. He's not a bad athlete but not quick enough to play LB since he's 6'3" and doesn't offer much going forward.

Tom Collingsworth and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  19. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Definitely an example of a players that would have had no chance to get noticed on a USYNT level until an MLS Academy in this case Atlanta United came along with a opportunity that was too good to pass.

Kunga has been known for a while, so it isn't like Atlanta found him through scouting. He played ODP and has been committed to Furman University since before Atlanta United Academy merged with Georgia United. Kunga just didn't want to travel, etc, etc just to play for a USSDA team. Playing for an MLS Academy though for free with all that comes along with it got him into the fold.

Don't think he is USYNT U20 WC level, but very good player that has benefited from MLS.

20. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Is that a bridge I smell burning?

21. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any word on Mckennie playing in the tournament?

22. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not going to happen.

I wouldn't be surprised if he makes Schalke's first team bench this weekend in the season finale against Ingolstadt

23. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    With the deepest talent pool in US Youth Soccer history we are scrambling for players and are counting on an unproven attacking group.

Well done Tab.

TxEx, Gacm32 and Alexisonfire repped this.
  24. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Am I the only one not sold on Brooks Lennon and De La Torre as real attacking threats for us? I watched Lennon field level and I was very impressed with his vision and decision making but he literally can't take someone off the dribble. Which is why he is going to be a solid right back.

De la torre is just blah and slow like Fulham in general.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  25. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    DLT looked somewhat less than athletic in the CONCACAF tournament but he was also very effective for us. he was a constant threat going forward, able to beat his marker more often than not and very good on the ball. He was also able to create. We need more of this type of player. How he does for Fulham doesn't really matter too much to me as long as he is effective over replacement for the U20 national team.

Gacm32, jjmack, Namdynamo and 2 others repped this.