Dow jones plunges 512 points in one day; nasdaq down 136; s&p down 60

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by American Brummie, Aug 4, 2011.

1. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There really isn't a ready model for addressing the excesses of modern capitalism; people are flailing around for old tools.

luftmensch repped this.
  2. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
    What's the employment field going to look like in twenty years with increased automation and outsourcing? Where are people going to be working?

I invest heavily in the stock market. I also recognize the pressure to increase share prices which I benefit from, is often at odds with the interests of employees at that company.

Funkfoot repped this.
  3. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Michael Moore is like my co-workers. They are re-living 2016. They are like the cat who jumped on the hot stove once. It will never be convinced again that a stove might be cold.

Sure Trump might win. But I'd t rather be in the Democrats' position than his.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  4. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    It's not just generals who are always fighting the last war. Here is a picture of a Maginot Line fortification for them.

[​IMG]

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  5. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    Once Google, et al, perfect self driving cars the economy will collapse into a massive depression, probably far worse than the 30s.

6. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Doubt it. It'll be a long slow decline. We've been in it for years already.

UBI is the answer.

jmartin1966 repped this.
  7. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    This is my honest, no-snark belief.

1) The U.S. will continue its two-tier trend. The rich will get richer, while the second tier increasingly will exist to serve the rich. There will be more jobs -- although not necessarily more wages, because of competition -- for car washers, salon workers, prostitutes, personal trainers, health-care professionals, landscapers, etc.

2) This will continue until the second tier not only realizes what is going on, but mobilizes against it. At which point politicians will be elected who will implement UBI, or something like it.

Currently, the second tier is politically divided along culture-war issues. it is getting crushed because of that. But eventually, things will become so bad for the seconde tier that it will unite. I firmly believe that. I also believe that while large segments of the first tier will attempt to disenfranchise the second tier, to prevent such change, that there will be enough true democrats (with a small "d") in that group such that democracy will prevail.

Or so I hope.

luftmensch and jmartin1966 repped this.
  8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^^^^

Or the Dems have a good run and re-empower unions.
    We know minority turnout went way down, so I'm not sure he's wrong there.

9. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    There is a lot of Marx in your analysis.

10. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've never read him. But I do know that he overemphasized how economic class would be the dominant political factor, so yeah I could be guilty of that.

11. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe it was only the African-American vote which was down, not the minority vote overall. Given that 2016 was the first election in the post-Shelby County v Holder era, I'm not gonna chalk that up to Hillary Clinton being uniquely unlikable.

Trump won with less minority support than any winner in 40 years.

yossarian repped this.
  12. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    African-American turnout dropped, but it was still higher than in '88, '96', and '00, and pretty similar to '92 and '04. Another way of putting the matter is that HIllary did no worse than any other Democratic POTUS candidate over the past 30 years who was not named "Barack."

13. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I can see making big $ installing gates, death rays & security systems for the rich for when the rebellion kicks off. Then I'll conveniently walk out of the monitoring room when the shit goes down.

14. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You did seem to be arguing for a class-based dialectic. I'm sure Karl would approve. ;)

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  15. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I think Marx UNDER-represented how much economic class would be the dominant political factor. I guess I'm more Marxist than Marx.

16. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    How do you know that Fox News wasn't started to incite this rebellion. I'm sure the Murdoch Family is already heavily invested in gates, death rays and security systems for sale or lease.

17. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's possible that subsequent thinkers failed to sufficiently develop the concept of "class." Many present-day leftists seem to think it's a purely economic construct.

18. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Not sure I follow you. AFAIK Marx considered class a purely economic construct.

19. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, but there's been a lot of subsequent Marxists since him who've elaborated and developed Marxist thinking. And perhaps some of them--particularly many "third-world" Marxists from the anti-colonialist movments--have already done so.

I think that "class" needs to be understood as social construct as well as a purely economic one. A concept that includes factors such as race and ethnicity, as well as one which accounts for colonial/post-colonial status, etc. Karl was a product of mid-19th century western Europe; a think a meaningful understanding of class in the global 21st century needs to be more multi-polar and nuanced. Otherwise, we're going to continue talking about Donald Trump and the "working class" while pretending that it's merely a "complication" that the working class voters who preferred Trump were overwhelmingly white and disproportionately male.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  20. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Rupey has his tentacles in everything

21. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I have to disagree with you here.

Marx's view that everything was related to class is still valuable. The Left's big problem right now is that it balkanizes allies into tiny hermetically sealed bubbles: Blacks, Jews, Lesbians, albinos, left handed unicyclists, & co. If they said alternately "Fück that noise, there's the 99% and the 1%...and that's it," they would conquer the world in moments. In that sense, the modern left has lost its way. They should be MORE marxist, not less.

22. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Curious what you all think about the new fascination with space related investments. SpaceX (Musk) BlueOrigin(Bezos), and Virgin Galactic(Branson) all are talking about going public in the future.

Obviously these guys aren't mugs, and you don't get to be a billionaire without vision of the future, and accuracy. Who would be insane enough to bet against this collective?

I am personally looking forward seeing where this goes (besides up.)

23. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes. And of course Marx was writing during the Industrial revolution, when capitalism was much more raw. Since then there's been a lot of analysis and reflection about the problems that come with a capitalist society, and of course in developed nations including the US they've tried to build a safety net to deal with some of these problems, and yet it seems like the results are still not adequate, and we are still reliving many of the same issues that led Marx to his observations and conclusions.

soccernutter repped this.
  24. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    See class war above

25. jmartin1966

jmartin1966 Member+

Jun 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Racism may as powerful as class. Don't know when white America will realize that people that African Americans, immigrants, etc. and their liberal allies are not the problem. If it happens, I will be long gone.