News: Dos dos Santos

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Geneva, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
  2. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Makes you wonder about Curt's tweet, though.

TOAzer and TrickHog repped this.
  3. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Awesome. I'm glad I didn't watch all those JDS youtube videos for nothing! Time to ramp up my excitement from disinterested, disgusted, and in despair to cautiously optimistic.

TOAzer and The Cadaver repped this.
  4. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can we be in 9th with all those great players? Have you been following this season? All of the players you list above and a bunch of others, have been absent for many, many games due to injuries, suspensions and NT play.

5. BeefEater

BeefEater Member

UC Irvine
    United States
    Jul 28, 2017
    Are Galaxy supporters paying attention to the nasty negative social media response by Mexican fans to this signing? It's the biggest story in the Mexican sports media right now and mostly the response is anger toward Dos Santos.

footballfantatic repped this.
  6. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Let me guess- Jona is dead to them. MLS already killed Gio and now His brother is taking the cash and retiring too. Any good links? Frankly I'd been disappointed that there wasn't as much hate as when Gio was signed.

7. BeefEater

BeefEater Member

UC Irvine
    United States
    Jul 28, 2017
    Yes, he's dead to them. His career is dead. He's a p**** pend***. They curse him and his family. He should be kicked off the national team to set an example. MLS is sh**. et cetera

Take a look at the responses to the Galaxy twitter announcements, the Big Soccer MX forum, any YouTube video of the news that serves a Mexican audience (such as Univision).

Example:

8. BeefEater

BeefEater Member

UC Irvine
    United States
    Jul 28, 2017
    I will be curious to see if the Galaxy gain more Mexican fans as a result of this transfer, or if the Mexican fans will be uniformly bitter and reject the Dos Santos's.

The primary complaint of the Mexican fans seems to be the expectation that JDS's form will suffer in MLS because they already blame MLS for Gio Dos Santos's decline in form. But, that is a purely speculative and cynical outlook. We must wait and see what happens with their form in the long term.

TrickHog repped this.
  9. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Yes it will be interesting to see. You know I think JDS will lose some support with some of the "hard core" fans, but I also think there are a lot of Mexican-Americans who call Los Angeles home and are raising kids or were raised with both a sense of Mexican heritage and have an affinity for LA and the US. I think they will come. JDS is hopefully going to be good and be fun to watch - if we can play more of possession game we may see some great attacking soccer and maybe JDS will cause there to be a few more "It's bad but MLS isn't that terrible" comments than there would have been. But that's OK because LA is used to being called a pub team.

10. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Thought on Jonathan Dos Santos: Can you imagine how things might have been different if LA had signed JDS instead of Steven Gerrard?

Darn.

11. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I couldn't care less.

12. Chupacabra

Chupacabra Member+

Aug 2, 2004
    Westwood, NJ
    And a predominantly Liga MX Mexican team couldn't beat a Jamaica team made up predominantly of MLS/USL players twice, and were shut out by Jamaica
    from reaching the CONCACAF Gold Cup final (where Jamaica was beaten by a US team made up predominantly of MLS players). So if MLS is sh**, was does that make Liga MX?

"Pride comes before the fall."

Berks, rokstedy, 73Bruin and 9 others repped this.
  13. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

footballfantatic, hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  15. wcmanes

wcmanes Member

May 28, 1999
    Riverside, Ca, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CCL has demonstrated beyond any doubt that currently Liga MX>>>MLS in overall quality if play

16. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    FYP

Berks, rokstedy, The Cadaver and 5 others repped this.
  17. wcmanes

wcmanes Member

May 28, 1999
    Riverside, Ca, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You really think if it was MLS midseason we wouldn't see 4 Liga MX teams beat 4 MLS teams? Games might be a little more competitive but the overall difference in quality is readily apparent on the field. Most of the games looked a lot like US vs Germany in Brazil in terms of possession, chances created, ... Simple truth is MLS teams look out of their depth

18. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My admittedly not perfect eyeball test is that MLS Starting XI vs Liga Starting XI when all other factors are removed is pretty close, with the advantage to Liga. But MLS Players 12 thru 30 vs Liga 12-30 isn't even close. Liga crushes MLS there.

barroldinho, Berks, rokstedy and 6 others repped this.
  19. Lazy Assed Assassin

Jul 21, 2015
    Yep

There are at least 2 times in recent memory when the Galaxy were outright robbed by the officials that sent them crashing out of CCL, pre-season form and all. I have zero doubt the 2010, 2011 & 2014 LA Galaxy in mid-August form would be the absolute equal of any Liga MX side.

SuperLiga provided a small window in to that reality. Mid-season MLS teams made it to every final, Liga MX teams only made it to 3 of 4. Liga MX teams did win 3 of the 4 titles and every time against an MLS side, but 2 of those wins were PKs after the teams had drawn in regulation.

A pretty awful pre-season, Montreal team beat Liga MX side on the way to losing the final.

No doubt Liga MX sides are better than MLS sides, but the gap is not that great and their dominance of CCL is magnified by their beneficial scheduling.

Berks, rokstedy, 73Bruin and 6 others repped this.
  20. Xizor

Xizor Member

Jun 20, 2006
    I think the anger here is not at the MLS or it's level of play, it's his decision to not continue to develop his skills in Villareal. It actually baffles me how after years and years of fighting for a starting position in Spain, he finally earns it! But then he decides to join the MLS. As a Mexican soccer enthusiast, I believe most are just surprised he chose to play in the MLS after all that hard work he put in to get a staring position. If you've followed Jonathan's career you would understand why Mexican feel the way they do about this move, however, they are trying to bash the MLS for that move, similarly as they did when Giovanni joined the MLS, both at such a young age. Honestly if you saw Giovanni in the Confederations Cup, you's see that his level of play has regressed significantly. Now Mexican fans fear Jonathan will suffer the same fate prior to the World Cup. It's not the MLS they are mad at, it's his decision to regress to a far less competitive league.

21. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I will say that we as Galaxy fans feel like Gio has underperformed here with us as well this season. Not sure that's an MLS thing or that Gio's play relies heavily on his mood and motivation. It could be that Onalfo sucked the joy out of him like he did to our fanbase, but with Sigi as coach now, he might go back to what we saw from him between May-August when he was at his best for us.

I hope Mexican fans give the league a shot and don't judge it based on CCL or the level of play from years back. There's a lot about the league that's fun and it's growing every year.

rokstedy, shelbo and TrickHog repped this.
  22. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've asked my Mexican fan friends about this. Just a few data points, but they say, no one is upset about his move, and they are just looking forward to seeing him play locally. Anecdotes aren't worth that much, but sometimes the online complainers are louder than their numbers justify.

rokstedy, ragbone, patopreto and 3 others repped this.
  23. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to note that Gio's form wasn't all that BEFORE he ever got to the Galaxy.

24. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. We've seen flashes of brilliance now and again. But he didn't come into this league as a dominant player and then start to tail off as his time in the league increased....

footballfantatic and skydog repped this.
  25. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Gio was floundering at Villarreal and for El Tri before he came to the Galaxy. In 2015 he had 1 goal and 3 assists in 27 games for Villarreal and had been dropped from the national team roster. That was why I wasn't that excited about him being our new dp at the time. It's also noteworthy that the Galaxy haven't been as good since his arrival.

kaburu, barroldinho, StillKickin and 3 others repped this.