Don't tell me that the VAR Thread is still going?

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by EruditeHobo, Jun 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #126 EruditeHobo, Jul 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    Whether it's "experts" paid to discuss the game or just anyone on twitter... it's a problem to talk about the rules when not really having a full grasp of them. Although to be fair the offside rule is pretty annoyingly worded, and has been changed what, 4-5 times in the last 15 years? So it's not doing anyone's understanding any favors.

But being upset that VAR intervenes on a very close offside call isn't a VAR problem... it's an offside rule problem (if it's a problem at all).

The other main element of controversy is the time VAR has taken to get these calls, which in the WWC has clearly been too long. Even I agree with that.

2. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I doubt it would be as cluster********-y as you describe and what I described is, to me, better than the current implementation of VAR. that said, maybe 4 AR's has been trialled and abandoned but I'm not aware of it.

to repeat:
    This is another outcome of VAR: no one, no matter how much football they have watched, can quite trust their eyes. The instinct players, referees and viewers have built up over years, the sense that something just looks like a foul, no longer applies. Worse, the law is different at different times and in different parts of the pitch. Some things – incidents in the box or leading to a goal – will be checked, creating strict liability; others will not. It used to be that a shove on the halfway line would bring a whistle but you could probably get away with it in the box; now the polarities have reversed and the slightest contact in the box is liable to bring sanction.

3. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Got to admit it. Now I'm curious on how VAR will be handled in the prem. Yeah it's FIFA run but will the FA after seeing what has gone on over the last few months make changes to keep the game flowing.
    Or will they keep making the same time consuming mistakes.

The Offside law and the Penalty (diving) review are the most contentious.

The offside call will always be a problem. "Where was he at the moment the ball was played forward?" Split seconds.

Let's see how it's all handled. If they continue the long winded delays, or call back teams from the showers then they haven't learnt a thing.

zaqualung and SamScouse repped this.
  4. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    one lives in hope.

otoh

one has lived in hope before .

5. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    See even now you're going on this lengthy explanation and I tried skimming through it. Then I tried reading it. Both times I have no idea what you're trying to say.

delaynomo repped this.
  6. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    But Hawkeye has been a great improvement for tennis.

7. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    as has the GDS for footie. absolutely great addition to the game.

even though the effing thing may have cost us the title !!!

8. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    My point is the majority of tennis officials are only there to make line calls. And they don’t always do a very good job. So just having more officials is not necessarily an indicator for a better outcome.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  9. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Especially when you're trying to uphold the authority of a central ref? Because then he has to talk to more people, spread over the pitch. This is just a worse version of what VAR is now.

10. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Odd as it sounds I'm 400% with Hobo on this. I can't imagine anything worse.
    How about we give them little yellow flags they can throw when the see something wrong. Then they can all gather and talk about the dinner date they had last night.

11. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    refs and ARs are in constant communication now during the game - adding at most one more voice to a discussion wouldn't add anything worth worrying about. it's not like they'd review everything now is it, just hard-to-call events.

you're all wrong. just afraid to try something new.

12. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #137 EruditeHobo, Jul 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    I don't know if you're trying to be sarcastic, but I'm not sure it's coming across... either way, what you've come up with is a worse version of VAR.

13. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    not to me it isn't.

what I described is a step towards full-blown VAR, and gives a chance to get the damn thing right before human beings get totally elbowed aside.... with the added advantage of maybe never going full-blown VAR the way you want it.

having offsite officials making game-deciding calls makes zero sense to me.

tell you what .... forget the 2x AR's thing, if VAR decisions were made only by the on-pitch ref, and not some invisible, nameless, unseen guy - who has as far as anyone watching knows has never managed any kind of big game (but is nevertheless good at watching TV) - I could live with that.

14. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #139 SamScouse, Jul 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    not sure if those points are relevant delay. tennis action plays out in a tiny fraction of the space a footie game does, and involves 2 participants not 22 with - yes - almost all decisions binary (in or out, foot fault yes/no). no subjective decisions to be seen, no fouls or diving etc in sight. so dead simple in comparison, except the fact the ball is tiny and gets whacked at 100mph or whatever. yet the officials feel they need 22 eyes not 6 !

the fact they "don't always do a very good job" in tennis isn't an indicator that added ARs in footie wouldn't improve decisions.

15. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    At the risk of beating a dead horse, VAR got another contentious decision totally wrong IMO. A "handball" (still haven't seen anything to clearly indicate it struck her upper arm and not her chest) in the England-Sweden (W) game. Absolute horseshit and definitely not "clear and obvious." Just micro-managing garbage. F uck the people running VAR and FIFA until the cows come home.

16. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Reading VAR aficionados telling everyone how "getting it right" is the only important consideration always makes me think of the description of accountants - knowing the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

17. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #142 usscouse, Jul 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    Yeah, it was hardly a case of her arm away from her body. ( that sounds serious :)) It may have jammed between the players but hardly hand ball.

Another subjective call.

18. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you serious? She uses her arm to control the ball into her path away from the defender so she can strike it. This is a handball 100% of the time.

I literally don’t understand people watching that and saying it’s not a handball? It’s mind boggling. Is there another, different call you’re talking about?

19. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    And talking about subjective.

20. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #145 SamScouse, Jul 6, 2019
    oh ffs. what's mind-boggling is your absolutism. that clip is 100% inconclusive, mostly because you can't actually - y'know - SEE the arm you're claiming she used, at the point where the ball hit her.

did she use her arm? damned if I know, and if that's the view the VARs used, they are full of it.

sweet jesus christ.

21. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You’re kidding... the ball is knocked forward. Look at the play from the highlights, then look at that angle. The only way the Ball moves like that is if she knocks it on with an arm. This is never not going to be a handball, especially under the new rules which apply to this cup.

This is so obvious I assumed he was talking about another play...

22. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    the ball could quite easily have hit her in the chest ffs.

PS you're straying into zaq territory now .....

23. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #148 EruditeHobo, Jul 6, 2019
    Let me go ahead and let you know — this is conclusive evidence, and I’ve only seen 2 angles, but even that is enough to rule that the ball was swept away from the defender with an arm. Just FYI, maybe keep this in mind before getting upset at other handball calls... because balls don’t magically change direction like is evident in the 1st clip I posted, they don’t jump forward like that by brushing off a player.

3:42 is slo mo of the play, ball movement is confirmed by other angle, the ball coming forward like that is not possible from a “chest”. Her arm clearly sweeps it ahead, and intent doesn’t matter anymore as of June 1st.

I’m sorry burning’s team lost or whatever, but that’s a handball.

24. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    I agree 100 %

I saw that before the Var. and on top of it being obvious, it looked very intentional. Should have been a yellow

25. ewibe

ewibe Member+

Jun 4, 2015
    Stavanger
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Copa America is turning into a joke when it comes to VAR.
    Semifinal Argentina Brasil VAR denies to crystal clear penalties and one results in a goal for Brasil on the counter attack.

Now for the third place playoff medel and messi gets red for a confrontation. I could see messi getting a yellow for his involvement but there is no way thats a red for Messi