Don't tell me that the VAR Thread is still going?

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by EruditeHobo, Jun 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    eh? in what way am I not happy about the guys on the pitch making the calls?

2. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    we'll likely see some of that in the Prem next season or the one after.

3. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Nah! They'll have it sorted by then. :rolleyes:

Today, unless I dozed off. There were no VAR calls made in the WWC match with Norway and Englaland.
    That'll definitely help with the post series stats. :)

4. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I guess the only fix for that is to not blow the final whistle and just wait for the ball to go out of play so you can review before saying the game is over.

5. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I just meant the VAR process in general you're not happy about. Nevermind...

6. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Just two things ....
    Here's a genuine question:

Do you think it will be 75% come next June?

On th ebright side for VAR - how many football fans are actually watchi
    Well, you card enough about the other call when I said it might not be a penalty. What's a good argument once is the same the next time ...

7. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #57 zaqualung, Jun 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    Except that it wasn't said as part of an argument. It was a stated gut feeling. It was a notion stated separately to anything else in this thread...

*note..........
    upload_2019-6-28_11-6-38.png

Nothing in any of the arguments I've proposed is similar to that. So, for not the first time, your assertion about me is wrong.

8. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    BRILLIANT..... the modern game.... conceived and brought to you by hyper-speed Boolean Algebra ....
    I prefer the old game - conceived and brought to you by people having fun....

Some say that it "has to evolve"
    I agree that it does evolve - but not that anything like a game ever "has to".....

9. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be surprised if it happened a single time... but only because they are going to be very careful to let people know what's going on when VAR is being used, and they have all these examples about it going so poorly on the big stage.

Even at the end of the match, how ********ing hard is it? "Hey guys, we're reviewing that handball."

More shit reffing. Or maybe it's the VAR ref's fault, be sure to tell the ********in official you're reviewing something! Get on it quick. It's REALLY not that hard, we've seen it be handled much better than this.

I don't really care. That it was ever 75% is all the justification I'd ever need to feel good about it being brought in. Not that that's the reason to bring it in, because either way I don't care what people want.

The difference is in how they are brought up and used... but yet again that's a difference that I'm sure we disagree on and won't get to the bottom of, so I'll just drop it.

10. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    As I pointed out to Delaynomo - it wasn't advanced to help my argument. It was a completely stand-alone statement. Unlike Trump, I don't wish to posit those types of personal opinions into an argument.

Back to my opinion on the matter - I'd really love to know if I'm wrong and less than 3-1 of the guys on this board (for example) ever care about the VAR incidents in games they are not watching. Come on guys - give us a poll At the moment it's 3-2
    me, sam and USScouse lined up against Delaynomo and Hobo
    what about the rest of yis???

Personally -
    Which ones will I care about next season?? (I'll be watching Liverpool, so they don't count.) So, probably only the Man City ones will concern me out of any games I am not watching. The only other times I will think of VAR (EVER) is

a) when it is ruining the accustomed spectacle/excitement of some game that I am actually watching
    or
    b) when I come on this bloody thread ....

;)

11. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Watching Ronaldo celebrate the same goal twice is all the justification I'd ever need to be against anything that instantiates such a spectacle....

12. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I will remain forever fascinated by how any discussion about that incident can last any more than about 10 seconds.

Here's a thought.... If exactly that had happened to Jamie Vardy in the Man City vs Leicester game and the ball had broken immediately upfield and Vincent Kompany had banged in his piledriver, I wonder would any Liverpool fans on Earth (hell, throw in Mars and the Moon too) be prepared to state truthfully that it was a 50-50 tussle they saw?? By my view of what's a foul and what isn't, I wouldn't have to ....

13. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are wrong again! But we will disagree about how you're wrong, and maybe even what "right" and "wrong" and "disagree" and "help your argument" mean, so... let's leave it.

I don't care how people feel... all I'm saying is IF you do care, the most current widespread polling on this is pretty decisive. And an impromptu poll between 12 dudes on this site is just a small sample size, and borders on pointless unless you're specifically curious about how only the people on this board feel.

I expect the vast majority of Liverpool supporters would say he was mugged. So what? On this very site, with a number of clear-thinking supporters, the vast majority somehow didn't agree that VVD kicked Lamela in the back of the leg a season ago. This is no longer a conversation about VAR, it's a conversation about bias, and how and when and why it may (or may not) rear it's head.

Regardless, I don't care what any one person thinks. I don't care that it's an absolute stonewall pen to you. We just disagree, so let's move on.

... your best point in the thread.

DOWN WITH VAR!!

14. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Just as an aside. It was refreshing after the WWC match, England v Norway. To hear people talking about the game and how it was played.
    Not a single peep about VAR. it was like watching football.

Wingtips1 repped this.
  15. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #65 usscouse, Jun 28, 2019
    Many people said.....That is not true Donald.
    Most people thought Lamela piled into VvD to draw a PK.

I know you said you didn't want to discus it anymore but you're not getting the last word on a fake statement.

I won't discus this anymore. :)

16. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

As I pointed out to Delaynomo - it wasn't advanced to help my argument. It was a completely stand-alone statement. Unlike Trump, I don't wish to posit those types of personal opinions into an argument.

You are wrong again! But we will disagree about how you're wrong, and maybe even what "right" and "wrong" and "disagree" and "help your argument" mean, so... let's leave it.

Nope: See, as far as this one goes, one of the two of us is better qualified to say what I meant by writing that line.

17. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

I can't even remember what my opinion on this was - but I DO KNOW one thing. Whatever it was, It was given to me by my eyes and not by some kind of subconscious analysis.

18. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #68 EruditeHobo, Jun 28, 2019
    If by most people you mean "most Liverpool supporters", I'm sure that is correct.

That's within Lamela's right, to move to shield the ball. It's in the rules. Lamela "piling into" VVD's fully cocked & swung leg is a pretty incredible reading of that... the only thing he does it step in front of him, and is kicked. Either way there's nothing in the laws about being allowed to kick people. But thank you for bringing to life the example of bias, and how and why it may appear in physical competitions attempting to enforce laws which tend toward the binary.

How would VAR have ruled on this? Simple... Lamela would have been flagged offside! Another miss by the refs.

But I'll be honest and say that was just as excuse to post the video again and have it be kind of relevant. It's especially fun at 0.25 speed. Just a lil love tap! lol

19. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #69 EruditeHobo, Jun 28, 2019
    None of us, apart from you, have any access to what you meant... that's not what's being commented on, at all.

20. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    It's interesting. You are saying that VvD took a deliberate kick at Lamela and somehow that vid backs you up. That is really incredible

I see VvD eyes on the ball trying to make a clearance. Lamela is coming in from his side, he Lamela turns and shoulders into VvD just as he kicks.
    Deliberate yeah, many people say so!!!! :rolleyes:

21. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    You're getting way off the point. A casual observational question put into the thread (referencing merely what seems to me but not to you a fairly commonsense statement) neither makes it part of my argument or even in any way useful to my argument. You, of course, can say that it does, you can say anything you like. You can whistle it in the key of Q for all I care, but it doesn't change the fact that with this
    Well- for what it's worth I would wager that the rate is also about 3-1 concerning my bold bit above...
    All I was doing was propounding the proposition of if anyone could be bothered to ask.

How the heck can that be read as bolstering an argument?

Incidentally, many great essayists have a penchant for diverting into anecdote midway through a didactic tract. Such speculation sometimes illuminates unseen alleys.
    (Speaking of alleys - when George Costanza says to Jerry Seinfeld "I know my alleys" he's saying the same thing I'm saying.) I know mine too.
    This underlined above is obviously an opinion about a statement (a statement that you chose to argue about - mostly, I think, simply because you like to argue. I find it hard to believe that you really truly believe the opposite of
    "most people only care about VAR stoppages insofar as they are actually happening"

As George Costanza also famously said:
    That's it for me, folks.

22. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be, if I said that.

It doesn't matter that VVD is going for a big clearance. When Mane booted Ederson in the face, was he trying to knock his teeth out? No, he was trying to make a play on the ball. But, oops! He missed. His intent isn't a valid argument that he should stay on the field, and it's certainly not a valid argument as to how he didn't commit a foul at all. This is just how these rules work... intent is almost never the issue.

The rule isn't "you can't purposefully attempt to kick players really hard, otherwise it's a foul"... that would be a pretty weird spot to place the line.

I do think it's funny that with VAR it's probably waved off completely as not mattering (in the VVD situation). Or maybe the ref would bungle it, like this WWC we are witnessing?

Who's to say...

:thumbsup:

23. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Again (disclaimer) I don't spend a whole lot of time reading the rule book, but if you are not allowed to kick people, how can two players ever be allowed to swing at a ball from opposite directions, one of them always from the position of (after he has kicked the other guy) knowing in preconception that he might likely kick the guy?

In some minor way that is allowing a player to kick another.

Of course, the alternative of .... when in that situation both players must stop and back away, isn't exactly suitable for the game... ;)

24. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Meanwhile .. the new VAR thread races to catch the old one ....

and that really is it for me .... for now....

25. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Only one player was attempting to play the ball. The other was intent on playing the man. "Intent" worked but he paid.

I'll never mentipn this again....in the VAR. thread :)