Don't tell me that the VAR Thread is still going?

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by EruditeHobo, Jun 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think it would make more sense in a little league badge/tag, on the socks or something. Same for every player in the league, don't need to mess with boots or feet or anything.

Who knows maybe it will go that way in the future? I'd be pretty surprised though, there's a reason VAR is done the way it is, with 1 room watching.

2. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Because the tags could only "catch" a limited number of issues whereas VAR can at least run an eye over any issue.?

3. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well certainly that, plus if you have... 44 tags on the pitch, that's 44 tags that have to be verified before the match, it's 44 tags that could stop working in the match, etc.

delaynomo repped this.
  4. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I'd change my boots at half time.

Come on you guys. This is stupid enough already.

5. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Half of the other rules are subjective, so why not??
    Wouldn't the Chelsea offside have qualified for that particular decision?

6. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

The point is that 95% of times we all know it would get called. Which therefore brings into statistical question why a 2nd ref on the same day would refuse to call it. That's statistically highly unlikely as a normal measurement.

So VAR (the refs working that day), it seems, for reasons not to do with the rules, was unwilling to do what it was put there to do. Which is to overrule a clear and obvious error.
    If this can't be called a clear and obvious error, then such a thing DOES NOT EXIST.....

7. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

It fascinates me how people can be so concerned with millimeter-nanosecond accuracy (where it actually doesn't matter - Sterling and Mason Mount incidents) and be blase about secondary refs using their eyes where it does actually matter....
    as in the Matip and Serbia World Cup situations.
    For me these are not only nowhere near 50-50 incidents, but are not even arguably 75-25 incidents. Which points to a human structural failing of VAR to uphold its own standards.

8. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Just because something else is poor is never an argument to be satisfied with a different poor outcome.

No. It was clearly offside. The Tottenham(?) decision was a much closer call.

9. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First of all what the ******** is a statistical question? Second of all I agree with the bold part, but you don't know why they did refuse to call it. You don't know anything that happened. You don't even know the rules with regard to oversight on this matter, at least it's not reflected in the tone of your posts...

You realize it's possible for the on-field ref, who didn't call the pen initially, to just say to the VAR booth "******** you VAR, I'm sticking with my call!"... you don't know that that didn't happen in the case of the Matip incident. That's completely within the rules, as has been mentioned roughly a dozen times in here.

10. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Sure, any number of scenarios are possible. And I don;t know what happened (other than that Matip was fouled - that I DO know.) But which one is most likely?

These two - I'd reckon -

One - they saw, and did not want to intervene.
    Two - they weren't looking at that bit and couldn't get into any kind of overlay mode to check it because they weren;t aware of it quickly enough (there's a lot to look at in the box on corners.)
    Both of those seem likely. The ref telling them to piss off for his original decision, as you put it, is rather like my Yellow Goalposts, not so much so!

(Incidentally, a ref wouldn't be within his (still sane) right to insist on sticking to a call so bad that he wouldn't take his colleagues better placed advice if it came.
    You yourself said you had no problem with it as a foul and that (more crucially) refs don't always enforce the rules with strictness in the box on corners. Grant all that: Then any ref, knowing and being aware of all this, and knowing that he is already bending the rules like a long bow to accommodate extra roughness in corner situations, and then refusing to take a correction of his call about such a thing from those better placed to see it, would be unfit to be a ref.
    If he's incapable of realizing how bad a foul that actually was one is left wondering how he ever became a ref.

very zany...... VAR should have called it.

11. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see a good reason to hold up one or two of five plays and talk about them consistently, especially when they would have been the same call without VAR, but either way there are a bunch of things that could have happened to not allow the Matip penalty. I think it should be given and will be given in the future. I think in general the ref had a bad angle on it and maybe assumed Matip was flailing a bit and trying to sell something. I think you're always going to see contact on corners without having VAR give out a bunch of penalties.

12. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I don't either. But I do think that it's an unlikely probability that two refs looking at that would both come to the conclusion that it wasn't a foul. I think the VAR refs either didn't see it or they fluffed their lines.......

13. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is all possible. It doesn't really matter though, for reasons outlined a whole number of times already... these kinds of calls, even if you limit their existence with replays or whatever, there is always going to be something that slips through the cracks of individual interpretation. Might seem like an easy thing to solve, but my point would be that's the nature of laws which must be interpreted -- if it wasn't this one, it would just be something else. Like the Martial pen! Or as you would say, the Serbia play in the World Cup.

That said, these incidents are good things because even though it can be frustrating it's going to force them to a take a look at how they continue to enforce physicality on corners. It asks the question what role to VAR really play in that, which is always a good thing to ask and will force improvements.

14. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think this whole discussion began with my saying that IF they give VAR any kind of role in policing that, the can of worms will eat them.......

and now, after a gazillion posts to the contrary you are suggesting they try to get involved. They must have opened up a Canabis store next to your house!
    :cool:

15. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

6 Leicester players were in possible offsides on the first VAR call...... mental.... good call though ... a linesman might actually get that call wrong because there were so many players clustered in the area

16. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, I said almost the identical thing in another thread. So I'm not sure where you think there's a contradiction. -----v

So, we agree I think on that small thing.

I don't know what you mean... in the post you are responding to, I'm talking about the possibility of the institution as a whole, the powers that be in football, addressing the physicality on corner kicks issue. That's not about "VAR". I've given my reasons why VAR in and of itself shouldn't just automatically be applied to more on-field incidents a dozen times. On top of that, nothing I've said precludes the idea of VAR improving and adjusting over time... in fact I've encouraged it, because just about anything can be improved with iteration and experience.

The problem here is that when you apply a response to one specific argument to another totally different argument, that's going to seem like a contradiction to someone that is sort of blowing by the individual context of these separate statements.

The FA addressing physicality on corners/set pieces is not about VAR, it merely applies to VAR on some level... and perhaps only a very, very small level.

17. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Btw/ technically this is incorrect. That may be correct, or it may not. What is correct is that you don't know that I don't know anything that happened. I could be the ref, or his brother.
    Hell, I could be the VAR ref ....
    (well now that one is stretching the imagination a bit .... :ROFLMAO::p ..... :laugh: )

18. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #618 EruditeHobo, Sep 27, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    Yes and, if he weren't pretend, I could be "god" and would know that you're not being honest. If you did know something I'd hope you'd share it. That's really the only point of me directly stating otherwise, to establish the actual foundation for these opinions... I wouldn't be stating otherwise as if it's a benefit to my argument, because it's not, but rather out of hope that your knowing something would be shared here, with me!

I love knowing stuff.

19. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Var give the Chavs a PK. The defender did get the ball but it was well sold off the follow through.

Nowhere near a clear PK though as the tackle on Mane' where the defender never touched the ball but clearly took Mane' out.

Still subjective.

20. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It’s poor officiating, full stop.

21. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Two different uses of VAR. both calling it to hard for var to call offsides.

The Premier League’s use of the technology has been accused of sucking the joy out of football after it judged Son Heung-min to be 2cm offside in the build-up to a disallowed goal in their defeat by Leicester last Saturday, as VAR took an age to draw lines down from the players’ armpits and decipher the offside line.

However, The Mail on Sunday revealed that the technology used by broadcasters and VAR to judge offsides is not accurate enough to be certain on the most marginal calls with players able to move more than 19cm between frames.

Rosetti’s views suggest that extremely tight calls are likely to be ruled onside in the Champions League with UEFA understood to be conscious of how difficult it can be to judge the exact moment the ball was struck.

https://distinctathlete.com/2019/09...ar-offside-decisions-uefa-referee-chief-says/

22. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    yep - I posted that about 5,000 posts back. expect the pro-VAR gang to completely ignore it again.

"Roberto Rosetti wants his video officials to refrain from overturning on-field decisions if it is too difficult to tell for certain whether a player was in an offside position when the ball was played."
    - that sounds a lot like what I've been saying on here. oh hang on, it IS what I've been saying.

"fans at Villa Park chanting ‘VAR is f****** s***’ after officials took almost two minutes to rule out John McGinn’s goal for a fractional offside"
    "even the players have started to mock the technology. McGinn celebrated his late goal by drawing the box-shaped VAR signal, while Tanguy Ndombele also marked his goal for Tottenham with a box shape before putting his finger to his ear in mock VAR discussion with Serge Aurier."
    - they need to be careful, VAR will review this and tell the ref to red card them. on a serious note, how can a professional league continue when the crowds and even players openly mock the rules?

"Rosetti’s views suggest that extremely tight calls are likely to be ruled onside in the Champions League"
    - meanwhile the Prem will continue to use microscopes.

take the big view - if the top officials in the game, and the leagues in Europe, can't agree on how VAR should be used, surely to god that = it's been introduced too soon?

23. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Did you say that? :) have I agreed?

My fear is of turning the game into NFL, basketball type "sport"

24. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    yes I have, and yes of course you have - you're a very wise man.

25. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I know.

:)