Don't tell me that the VAR Thread is still going?

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by EruditeHobo, Jun 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #551 EruditeHobo, Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    Oh wait... Team B gets a penalty shout, then breaks a player from Team A's leg, then counters post-injury and scores a goal. Is that right? So the ref misses the penalty AND the foul which ended up with a players leg being broken? Man... this guy should be reffing U8 games at 7:00 am for the USYSL.

Penalty would be given for Team B, and leg-breaker would be sent off. Final answer.

This actually is a good question. I mean the situation itself is nearly impossible, but it does poke at the realities of how VAR might address a combination of calls, which is interesting in its own way.

In reality, if you'd read the rules you'd know this can't really happen... VAR has rules to stop play when reviewing an incident when the ball enters a neutral phase of play. So for this to even be remotely plausible we have to assume either an insane flurry of incredibly specific incidents in a very short amount of time, or a really shitty referee crew working this match, or both.

2. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

I am not professing to have over thought this particular idea or if it's possible, but if it were possible to arrive at this scenario, then
    who knows? If the direct advantage was gone, then this becomes an insoluble problem.... created by VAR+

3. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VAR has rules addressing this. I pointed out the problem, in your example you've built-in a poor referee that isn't upholding the rules correctly. And a bad ref can ignore and ******** up any rule, that's not the rule's problem.

4. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You really don't though.

5. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

ah no - I do ... I do .. I do....

6. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    In my scenario - it's a near impossible set of factors occurring, but they do occur in rapid sequence, so there wouldn't be any neutral phase entered.

I was merely surmising that by reviewing everything that happened afterward, the objectively more offending team would benefit......

7. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #557 EruditeHobo, Sep 20, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    In the case of this all happening in a flurry of activity in/around the box, the ref would have to be really shitting the bed for this to not get a whistle -- both the penalty and the red card leg-break are plays which should stop the game. If the ref doesn't recognize this, it's really on him. I'm not even really defending VAR here, I'm just saying... I don't understand why you think this one would be on VAR when the ref has so clearly ********ed this up.

The "more offending team" is always going to benefit when you have a ref so bad that he isn't even seeing leg-breaking red-card challenges.

8. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    He wouldn't have to be bad at all. I don't think you are seeing the sequence as I had it happen.

Think like this:
    An error is made (in the opinion of some VAR ref who then immediately tells the ref they need to check what he just let go for what might be an error)
    Just as they tell him they distract him as the next incident unfolds and he misses it.
    He looks back to see B is scoring after some kind of collision.

Like I said - i'll win the lottery before this one actually happens, but it could (just conceivably). Anyway , I think it's reasonable to assume a ref would be distracted by any initial communication from the VAR refs.... enough to miss another immediately crucial moment without sustaining total discredit....

9. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #559 EruditeHobo, Sep 20, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    I don't think so, personally. A ref that misses a red card offense in or very near the penalty box because of someone in his ear, which is something he's trained for and at which he's supposed to be basically an expert, is something for which there is no excuse.

That said, while the situation is hardly practical it is interesting because it is relevant to the priorities of VAR. And were it to happen, I think the principle of VAR says that the leg-breaker is sent off and the penalty is taken. If there's blame to be assigned, it's due tos the ref not being aware enough to stop play before the red card, or if it happens quickly then at most it's the VAR team not communicating quickly so that play is stopped. If the red incident were to happen so quickly that the VAR booth needs to almost instantly stop play when the ref doesn't see a foul in the box, I think the red card tackle was probably going to happen anyway.

To what degree do you think a prior whistle would have stopped Roy Keane from that challenge, for instance?

10. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Funny thing is I actually saw a ref holding his ear listening recently while the play was going on. He wasn't paying much attention to much else..... but the ball wasn't flying around the box at the time though - it had been cleared, so maybe if it was he would have been more concerned with paying attention....

EruditeHobo repped this.
  11. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, he certainly should be right? It's also hard to presume what exactly is being paid attention to by professionals, they can surprise you sometimes.

VAR review in Shampton Bmouth... lovely King goal wiped away because he was about a foot offside. Great counter and through ball was from Solanke, shame for that reason. Could probably have let the ball go a bit sooner with the same result. Too bad.

12. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VAR check on shoulder-to-shoulder bump in the box! Ref said it was no pen to start with... one of those 50/50 sorts of challenges though!

I've seen it called. Probably wouldn't give it myself.

13. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Well, based on Keane, that's a 50-50

But I think if the play is stopped then that incident becomes common assault. Not sure he's allow himself to become the plaything of the law, so maybe it would have stopped him...

14. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, since it's hypothetical we'll never know. Either way an assault charge goes nowhere due to the plausible deniability of not having heard the whistle... because in this example, these incidents are really close together, right?

15. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Lester v Spurs. Obviously offside no goal spurs.
    More picking of nits. "But the law says!"
    image.jpg

16. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a rough one.

17. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Wow...just, wow...

luck vs bad luck?

18. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    This is one of those enigmas. Can't blame the ref or the people who call for VAR. They, FIFA, or whoever., have to come up with a clear cut law to sort out offside or it can only get worse.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  19. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    with these microscopic VAR offside calls, all we see is pics like the one above showing the relative position of the attacker and the defender(s). but there's the other vital aspect .....

the VAR also has to determine exactly when the ball left the passer's foot / head. how accurate (or rough) is that determination? that doesn't get discussed at all. I don't even know how they decide on the split-second that the pass happened (esp if the ball is bobbled around hitting legs or whatever).

20. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    When it’s that close it’s not really “callable”. So advantage to attacker?

21. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    that is another classic example of the letter of the law being honoured ahead of the intent of the law.

the ONLY reason the offside law exists is to stop attackers getting an unfair advantage by placing themselves behind the defender. how in the name of God did Son (or any of the many other microscopic calls we've seen) gain an advantage?

it is patently absurd and will soon make the game a laughing stock.

usscouse and burning247 repped this.
  22. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    They can see that but they can't see Matip getting a human dog collar last weekend or Napoli dipshit jumping over Robertson's leg.

usscouse and newterp repped this.
  23. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Tips mentioned the Matip pen call. Not according to VAR or Hobo tho. (A tug) so No Pen.

24. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s really more about the clear obvious language of VAR correction.

LFC saved today by the close call. And we’re also possibly hurt by a linesman getting a Trent offside wrong, Liverpool retain possession after a goalmouth scramble and could have scored if not for the incorrect flag.

25. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    there was absolutely nothing clear and obvious about the Spurs offside above.