Don't Panic! - The Winter 2019/2020 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    We need bodies in midfield. Definite loaners for this year and placeholders. Garner and Levitt may not be McTs and more like Axel and need a year long loan spell. We need placeholders for them. A top notch guy like Partey would give us a top notch 6 to rotate with McT. We use to nlbe 2 deep in quality and need to get back luck that way.

2. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Axel didn't need a loan. He was ready to be our 3rd or 4th CB. We just insisted on playing shit defenders ahead of him.

LA. MAN UNITED repped this.
  3. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    if no Sancho get Ziyech. if not him get Cengiz Ünder and spend big in CM.

we have a few choices if we can't get all the top prizes

jnielsen repped this.
  4. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Agree with spend big at CM. A starting caliber 6 and starting caliber 8/10 type. We would need another if Pogba goes as well.

If McT can keep progressing and Fred keeps his current form, a midfield stable of say Pogs, McT, Fred, Bruno, Partey, AP, and Jesse would be pretty damn solid.

5. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    And then we can sell Mata and AP to make way for Garner and Levitt.

6. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    McT is a bonus, but he's not good enough for United imo. Not for anything other than a bit part role or as a situational CM.

For me, if Pogba stays the needs aren't as dramatic. Partey basically solves the midfield (if we blood Garner).

-------Pogba/McTominay------------------------Fred/Levitt/AP
    ------------------------------------Partey/Garner/McT

Another 8 would be great, but would hamper the development of Garner/Levitt. If we lose Pogba, we absolutely need another 8.
    Bruno would be an SS, less midfield play than Jesse.

7. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    How do people feel about pursuing Grealish? I haven't been a big fan of his to be honest, but as a potential 10/WNG he might be useful. I don't rate him as a starting winger, but if we don't land a pure 10, I wouldn't mind him at all coming into the fold provided we got rid of Mata and Pereira and we don't try to promote Gomes (who is probably better).

8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was thinking about this very subject over the weekend, since there are more and more reports linking us with either Grealish or Maddison. For the record, neither would be my top choices for the AM/10 spot and my apprehension for going after them would mainly because they would be super expensive, given the fact that they are young English players alone. All things considered, would still rather go for Fernandes, if it were an option over those 2.
    Putting that aside, it's an interesting comparison with both having somewhat similar stats in terms of their output this season thus far (6 goals/5 assists in all comps for Grealish, while Maddison is at 7/3) and their age (24 vs 23). Both players would help in terms of our lack of creativity at the attacking mid/10 spot.
    But in a straight choice between the 2, I'd personally go with Grealish. Maddison has more the look and style of a playmaker (and he's excellent also in deadballs). Yet I feel that Grealish would be the one I'd go with, with him probably being a better fit to our team, since he is a more high energy/workrate type player. His ability also to play on the flanks (on either side) is another plus as well.
    Maddison would be a good choice as well though. Having paid close attention to Grealish in recent weeks, I like the qualities he brings overall, including intangibles like fight/grit and leadership, which we honestly could have more on our current team.

[​IMG]

9. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Grealish strikes me as the type that relishes being the big fish in a small pond. Not sure how well he’d do at a big club. Otherwise, he’s a decent little player.

Serengeti_Boy and johno repped this.
  10. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That's a valid concern. I hadn't really considered that. I think he's had some disciplinary issues off the pitch in recent years which might be a concern as well. He is a tidy player. The reason I brought him up is I don't want to do business w/ Leicester again. We overpaid for an above average CB. I can't imagine how much they would want for Maddison. At 23 he's not a kid, he's got some room for improvement, but I really don't expect him to become a world beater. For the money he'd cost, we'd be better off shopping in another league.

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple of reports pertinent to United making the rounds per The Athletic: Raiola is reportedly pushing Haaland to turn United down, in favor of another club (with an eye towards joining United possibly later in his career).
    Seems a bit farfetched, even knowing how Raiola loves moving his clients around as much as possible: at 19, if Haaland were to sign now, United would probably not be his final destination. And we're still liable to pay him more than most clubs would.
    United's chief scout Marcel Bout is in Salzburg watching him (among others) today vs Pool.

The Athletic are also reporting that Maddison is in talks with Leicester over a new contract and that they are going well. If he were to sign a new deal, that would all but mean he's not going anywhere (for the immediate future that is)

12. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Raiola is a media manipulator - saying his clients want a club or want another club is just part of his MO and says nothing either way really.

LA. MAN UNITED repped this.
  13. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Raiola is not Haaland's manager. He's managed by his dad.

14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The nature of Raiola's involvement is definitely not clear cut or absolute one way or the other. His father is believed to be representing him officially but there seems to be enough to suggest that Raiola, at the very least, has some kind of advisory role to the Haalands.
    It's not like it wouldn't make sense either, given that his next deal, wherever he goes, is expected to be a pretty significant one.

15. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Yeah. But who is his agent though?

16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #141 Ashur, Dec 11, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    According to Transfermarkt, which is pretty accurate with their info on players, Relatives Agency (his father's company in association with someone else) is who is representing him.
    However, it appears that Jim Solbakken (Ole's good friend and agent also) was involved in his move from Molde to Salzburg this past summer, along with Raiola. Guessing that it probably in a broker capacity, in regards to Raiola at least. But it seems pretty obvious that some prominent people (agents) are involved in/looking after Haaland's affairs, apart from his father.
    Probaby in my view with an eye towards a bigger role at some point down the line, with him slated to be a big deal and all.

17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everything that is currently known about the possibility of Haaland joining United.

18. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haland would be a dream signing for a lot of teams. I'm also curious to see where some of these other players end up. Minamono, Szoboszlai, Mwepu, and Hee-Chan, etc.

19. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think I'm most excited for this window about potential departures. If we get some more dead weight shifted, we can set ourselves up for some incomings in the summer.

I think there has never been a better time to shop the lower division and we ought to be sending more players on loan there, but beyond that, there are some gems down there.

If we don't want to give Gomes PT because he's too small, the opposite of that is an absolute unit like Eberechi Eze from QPR. He plays LW/RW/AM. He's a very physical dribbler. Beats people for fun, initiates contact and abuses defenders. He's raw, probably needs another year, 18 months in the championship but at 21, he's got time on his side.

Deadtigers repped this.
  20. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

21. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Liverpool are in for Minamino too, apparently. Not surprised tbh.

22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    McT is definitely good enough to be part of what we're doing over the next 3 or so years. He just has certain limitations and shouldn't be expected to provide creativity when it is lacking in so many other areas. He'd be a valuable squad CM for Liverpool.

And IMO Bruno is more of a midfielder than Jesse. He regularly drops deep to hit raking long diagonal balls, or cross from deep on the right. A lot of Bruno's goals are scored arriving late in the box, more so than a standard SS. I can see why he might be considered an SS but he's generally more centrally involved, from midfield to the front line, where Lingard is more lateral across the 3 in a 4-2-3-1.

johno repped this.
  24. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    McTominay isn’t nearly technical enough to of use to Liverpool. He can grow and he has definitely shown something the last couple months, but he isn’t a top 6 midfielder.

Jesse is deffo not a mid interms of passing, but his positional play, pressing and defensive contributions are helpful to a team playing a double pivot. Given that we press high and often, we may as well be doing it with 3 given Jesse’s output. Bruno won’t match him in that regard,but he’s obviously a much more talented passer.

25. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Bruno is a more talented passer, exceptional distance shooter, and takes good free kicks. All areas where we currently struggle. I like Jesse for depth and situational play, but someone like Bruno improves our 11 immensely.