Don's 2017 MLS State of the League address

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by CoronaOrange, Dec 8, 2017.

1. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not trying to misinterpret. But the attendance in Atlanta and Seattle does skew any average you might choose to use. One also has to take into account that allegedly no promotion money was spent on the team this season. Before this season, attendance had been trending upward.

2. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am excited about this increase in TAM, though I will be very curious to see how this season goes, as it's a pretty massive jump. Some big spending teams clearly aren't going to hold back. Will smaller clubs be forced to spend more to remain competitive or will they fall into mediocrity? Also, will the league at all be transparent about this? I bet not, which will be frustrating. Still, hopefully this cash infusion is enough to make MLS consistently competitive in CCL.

3. Just Offside

Just Offside Member

May 22, 2015
    Is it possible marketing was stripped back because the ROI was negative?

4. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    No.

5. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Here is something to think about.

Teams may be more likely to trade their LTAM since they have that extra TTAM.

If the teams who aren't willing to spend their own money for TTAM swing some good deals they can end up with more LTAM.

League TAM
    Team TAM

I can't think of any better abbreviations atm...

6. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    These rules will be re-written right around June in order to benefit the Galaxy. Or was it LAFC? Anyway, no need to memorize them because they are as fleeting as Venezualan currency.

7. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Anything is possible.

I believe FC Dallas at one point cut a bunch of their sales staff and it had an adverse impact on their attendance.

Sometimes people think that they can cut costs and save money by stripping it from the marketing budget and the only thing that does is make things worse.

It's not solving or fixing the actual problem and now you are making things worse...

CeltTexan and The Franchise repped this.
  8. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    so did anybody else hear garber say that the crew ranked 20 out of 22 teams in almost all important measures and that is why they were looking at moving out of columbus?

so my question is (a natural follow up that no soccer press person seemed to think was important) which teams are 21 and 22 on those measures and should we expect them to be looking to move as well?

9. CoronaOrange

CoronaOrange Member

May 23, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it is indeed true, maybe the Crew are at the bottom of most/all important rankings, and the other clubs just in some of the categories.

10. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    Just because someone is near the bottom doesn't mean yo move them. Does he not understand someone will always be at the freaking bottom. Does this mean the league is going to use this as a scare tactic? If your team is at the bottom then you lose them.
    I am not a crew fan but I think i am done with MLS after 22 years. This is cheap. They obviously don't care about the fans at all.

SourCream&OnionUtd repped this.
  11. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA

Don't think it is a coincidence that someone like Sugarman (Union owner) has recently said that he has to, and will, spend more money.

Allez RSL, Honore de Ballsac and jaykoz3 repped this.
  12. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Can we hold you to this?

Thx,

Jay!

13. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    Sure. If you hate me so much then you win. Signing off.

14. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While it’s nice to hear some of the cheaper owners saying they will spend more, I think it’s noteworthy that this new TAM comes from the owners pockets. If it came from the league they might as well spend it, but I definitely anticipate some owners being more reluctant to open their wallets, just as some owners have fewer and cheaper DPs than others.

15. GoingGoaling

GoingGoaling Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Atlanta
    Anyone else notice that DG hinted that Columbus might have been contracted in 2008 if Precourt hadn’t come along? He said the Hunts wanted to sell, but the only initial offer they had was unacceptable. I’m not saying that I believe him at all, but DG saying this was interesting.

16. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Here is the sub-text that that I think you missed. This has been going on for over a decade. When Hunt Sports Group still owned the team Garber did cold calls for them to try and sell season tickets. When HSG was selling the team no one in Columbus wanted to own them. According to Garber they have been trying to fix this for longer than Precourt has owned the team. This isn't a "man, they had a bad year or two we need to look at other options" move. This is the culmination of many many years of various issues and troubles.

As to your point about the fans, Garber said they were at a point with the sale of the Crew that if PSV or someone else didn't step in that they were considering just shutting them down. So in their eyes they found someone to try and fix the problems and they still haven't been able to. So either way you'd view them as screwing the fans and the only way they don't screw them is if they continue to lose money. I know that some people think that is perfectly fine and the sports owners should just accept that they should lose money. I personally don't agree with that but that is just me.

17. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Not arguing that. It is just that normally we hear of their being dissenting opinions on moves like this. Not a single BOG member was against this measure, which gives me a slight bit of optimism that they all plan on at least funding their own teams out of pocket at least a little bit.

FlipsLikeAPancake repped this.
  18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Source/link?

Why do you follow the league if you think it’s all a gigantic conspiracy? You’re like a guy who passionately roots for the Washington Generals.

You either don’t believe all the bullshit you post, or you’re a complete idiot. Assuming you’re not a complete idiot, you’re just a ********ing troll.

NOTE TO SELF: search for troll pr0n

19. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Great. Another MLS salary cap acronym to memorize. DTAM (discretionary targeted allocation money)

damn you Garber!!!!

20. QuarkspaceDotCom

Mar 14, 2000
    Deep in the Bluegrass Hinterlands
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Garber’s lies flowed like a torrent yesterday. Embarrassing to the league and the sport. He should work for the Russian FA.

Boloni86, jayd8888 and don gagliardi repped this.
  21. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #46 don gagliardi, Dec 9, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    I follow my team, the San Jose Earthquakes. I would continue to follow them if they played in a local police athletic league or the San Quentin rec league. They have played in other leagues, after all, and may do so again.

I have contempt for MLS and its way of doing business. "Unfair. Unethical. Duplicitous." You don't have to take my word for it. That is the finding of a law enforcement investigation, announced just a few days ago.

And if that is how MLS acts with sophisticated and well-heeled investors, you can guess the other shenanigans they are involved in, when it's just us fans getting screwed. A secret star-chamber Disciplinary Committee. Re-writing DP rules when the Galaxy sets its sights on some Mexican player. Self-dealing in where Landon Donovan plays. Expropriating Cascadia Cup intellectual property. Violating California civil rights laws in collectively punishing San Jose Ultras, including those known to be innocent of wrongdoing. The evidence is out there. It's undeniable. Dig up your own links.

22. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #47 mjlee22, Dec 9, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    How long has Columbus been in the “relegation zone” of clubs not performing to “MLS standards”? Is it just since Precourt took over, or has it been a long time coming?

- - - - edit - - - -
    Oops i just saw the post above about the team struggling to find an owner before Precourt. But i’d Like to know if anyone has stats similar to what Garber is saying, such as declining STH count and attendance figures.

23. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the record, Don Gagliardi is a really smart guy and about as opposite to a troll as one could define.:thumbsup:
    Altho he does blast people like you occasionally, even though he passed on this opportunity with you. :p

24. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Garber has frequently cited the Crew's local TV ratings. I was disappointed that there were so many Crew questions, yet none asked about how the Crew's ratings should be contextualized given the crappy deal Precourt signed a few years ago.

jayd8888 and Adrian repped this.
  25. SilentAssassin

Apr 16, 2007
    St. Louis
    It was interesting. I haven't followed this as closely as some, so I don't know if it's true or not. But if it's true that Columbus investors have since stepped forward with two different proposals to either buy 1/2 the team or buy the whole team for much more than Precourt bought it for, (which Garber denies were serious proposals), it seems like if they really wanted to keep the Crew in Columbus, they would have accepted one of those offers.

He's giving lip service to the possibility that Columbus could still keep the team. I don't see how that happens now, unless Precourt sells it to local ownership. I think Garber had a tremendous opportunity to engender more loyalty from MLS fans if he and/or the other owners had forced Precourt to sell to the local group, if it was a legitimate offer. The lawsuit might still force them to do that, but instead of getting love from sports fans everywhere, I could see him losing his job after this debacle. How did they not know about the Modell law when they put the Austin clause in the sale, for example?

harrylee773 repped this.