Don's 2017 MLS State of the League address

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by CoronaOrange, Dec 8, 2017.

1. CoronaOrange

CoronaOrange Member

May 23, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999

Allez RSL repped this.
  3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sitruc, Ismitje, Golazo and 1 other person repped this.
  4. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I used to like Garber but now after the whole Columbus debacle i cant help but view him as a snake and every word that comes out of his mouth as hot air. He may not be the most reliable source of info on the state of the league.

5. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yep, this is big. 2.8 million translates to 4 new players making 850k (700+150 cap hit). That will make a real difference in quality.

Centennial and Allez RSL repped this.
  6. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Garber completely throwing Columbus under the bus---- i.e. "The Crew have not been supported as well as they should have..."

Centennial and Allez RSL repped this.
  7. QuarkspaceDotCom

Mar 14, 2000
    Deep in the Bluegrass Hinterlands
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Did anyone yell out, “You Lie!!!”?

8. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    A district attorney in Texas.

9. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Lots of facets to the discretionary TAM.

First, big clubs can now spend across a lot more of the budget
    Second, 1.5m salaries can be bought down. More big DPs can be brought in
    Third, this allows clubs to sell players and use a lot more of the transfer money on salary.
    Fourth, winning teams can keep players demanding salary increases. More stability.
    Fifth, cheap clubs will be more obvious than ever
    Sixth, a club could start a whole team of players getting more than max salary.

Coyote89, Honore de Ballsac and jayd8888 repped this.
  10. Black Tide

Black Tide Member+

Mar 8, 2007
    the 8th Dimension
    I want to preface this with I do not want to the crew to move. But, If they do build a new stadium in Columbus, is that really going to have an effect on attendance? Sub question does that raise by ~5000 to reach middle of the road average attendance?

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think this is possible.. TAM players (and DP players) still carry a large cap hit. Getting 11 players above mac salary, even with TAM, would be difficult.

12. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    GoingGoaling repped this.
  13. MuchoTakeItEasy

MuchoTakeItEasy Member+

LAFC
    United States
    May 16, 2015
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cue the debates about imported TAM players displacing promising Americans with counter arguments about how people pushing the Euro-first approach should be pleased with this development. Classic have your cake and eat it too.

My take:
    Clearly overall play will improve...with the removal of GAM caps for HG sales and TAM able to be allocated towards HG's, this really only hurts the journeymen American/INTL players in the lower middle part of the roster (which I think are the players that should have the highest turnover on the roster anyway). Hopefully having young Americans playing alongside and competing against better players shows that they are up to the task. Will be comparing RSL (HG-centric roster building), ATL (young INTL DP), and LAG (older INTL DP) success over the next few years with integrating young Americans.

14. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    A new stadium for the Crew wouldn't be much larger than Mapfre, which is just under 20K now (originally 22K). Crew drew 15K+ last year, might draw 20-21 in a new venue. There seems to be some assumption that the team could charge higher prices in a new stadium but that might be wishful thinking.

15. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Garber essentially kept saying it was the business community and Civic leaders not stepping up.

Their attendance wouldn't be an issue if they had a decent TV deal. If their sponsorships were for more, etc.

Obviously the businesses will only pay what they think it's worth...

I was hoping someone would bring up some of the counter points.

About how marketing budget was stripped and how the TV deal is actually bad for the team because of its reach, or lack of, in the market.

That right there effects what sponsors are willing to spend.

If you cut the budget so you now have very little to zero effort going into selling them... It just compounds the issue.

16. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The challenge with the RSL approach is that to really benefit from the academy structure will take several years. The $50 million center in Herriman opens in January; the first of eight planned $6 million facilities opened in North Logan earlier this week. But the impact of that on the first team is certainly years away, with the Casa Grande set-up fine but probably less impactful in the interim.

Owner Dell Loy Hansen has money, but not enough to both build out the academy system and spend millions more than he already is on salaries while bridging the years before the academy really starts to produce. And what will it do to the team in the market if several more lean years are the result?

Allez RSL repped this.
  17. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its almost like it Precourt had a TV deal covering the other half of the teams tv market he might get double themoney from sponsors.

18. MuchoTakeItEasy

MuchoTakeItEasy Member+

LAFC
    United States
    May 16, 2015
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of interesting information here about the RSL investments - definitely a long term approach. If Rusnak/Seravino are able to prove the MLS to NT or Europe model they should be able to bridge the gap over then next few years. It will come down to how many Glad-level players they can produce so they can supplement with Rusnak, Seravino etc to compete with the bigger spenders. Do you think the homegrown player model would resonate with RSL fans if they were consistent playoff team without any 2M+ DPs?

19. GoingGoaling

GoingGoaling Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Atlanta
    It is possible. You could have 8 TAM players making $650k and buy them all down to 150k each. That would be your 4 million TAM. Add in 3 DPs and you would have a starting 11 all above the max and technically only use about half the salary budget.

AndyMead, Baysider and footballfantatic repped this.
  20. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    cc: DC United

Thx,

Jay!

21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you allowed to buy them down that much? I thought the limit was higher than that.

22. GoingGoaling

GoingGoaling Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Atlanta
    Yes. 150k is the lowest you can go. From what I understand most, if not all, TAM players are bought down to this number.

JasonMa repped this.
  23. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    JasonMa repped this.
  24. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good question. But how do you define "average". With Atlanta and Seattle in the league that skews the average quite a bit. And, if you add 5K to Columbus's average attendance you would be over capacity by a bit. And that would be true for at least half the teams in the league.

25. Black Tide

Black Tide Member+

Mar 8, 2007
    the 8th Dimension
    You are misinterpreting what I am saying. if the crew averaged about 20,000 that would put them in 10th or 11th place for average attendance as opposed to 3rd from the bottom 15,600 now. That is why I asked if they added 5000 in supporters to that average attendance. Which I believe would fill Mapfre in its current config.