Donovan wants made in America coach for USMNT

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sam Hamwich, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
  2. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would prefer it as well, but no, we do not have any qualified Americans.

What we need is a legit modern tactician, with a couple of good American Coaches working as assistants and being groomed for later imo.

wsmaugham, Namdynamo, USA-Zebuel and 2 others repped this.
  3. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
  4. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Yeah. If we are going to hire Vermes, Beerholder we might as well hire the guy who wins at this style, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottmar_Hitzfeld

If we are going to hire Vanney or Porter, then we might as well rehire Klinsmann. I hear he's available.

TOAzer and nowherenova repped this.
  5. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    The USMNT is not going to get better until the players push their way into the top clubs in the world and are regularly starting in these knockout round UCL games. We have zero Americans playing this year; first time in two years, maybe longer.

What we hold our players to, we need to demand of our coaches. Succeed in MLS fine, but then go to Europe. Then you are in consideration for the USMNT job. Bradley, Wagner are the only two Americans with some European experience. So, this coach probably is not an American; it is ok. Cherundolo and Marsch could be head coaches in Europe by this time next year.

A big problem this cycle was Euro vs MLS. We need someone that can squash that problem. An MLS guy is not going to do it. We need a coach with a resume that instantly commands respect from everyone on the team. MLS experience is fine, but probably less of an issue with a GM involved.

jnielsen, wrench and Master O repped this.
  6. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    He was one of the more significant contributors to the divisiveness that marred this cycle.

W/re to an American MLS-based coach, Berhalter ticks a lot of boxes. He has drawn praise for this tactical nous. He has created highly competitive teams on modest budgets. He has his UEFA badges. He has 12 years of playing experience in Europe. He speaks German.

orcrist, KicksNgiggles, ifsteve and 7 others repped this.
  7. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I think it's imperative that the USMNT coach frequently and fervidly push his players to play in as good a league as possible. I'm now on the fence whether it should be said publicly as that may be better suited for the USSF President, GM or Technical Director but the coach should be clear with all his players that the expectation is that they play at speeds equal to WC levels, if possible.

The challenge with an American coach is that it's hard for them to say that as their next job will probably be in MLS given the overseas biases against US coaches.

8. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    If it has to be anyone, then I guess Freddy Krueger it is. However, he has never coached against far superior managers week in and week out.

Bradley tried it and was quickly shown the devastating side of the sport at all levels of the organization and media.

9. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Euro v MLS isn't a problem if it is handled correctly. Handling correctly means starting right now - not manana.

MLS and Euro leagues have different calendars. This means it makes sense to play Euro heavy squads at some times and MLS heavy squads other times. The problem is we follow your thinking and fly Euro guys from Europe - guys who never travel like that for games - for games against u23's in Cary NC and aggravate the managers and players while MLS guys we will need in a pinch later get zero minutes, then are suddenly asked to perform on the last day of the Hex at positions they haven't played (Arriola) or we call in vets with no legs left because now we suddenly need the experience (Beasley, Zusi) .

Then there is the issue of a Technical Director. Berti Vogts would not have played Fabian at lmid against Costa Rica, He always get beat to the inside at mid. Vogts said Fabian was a right back. Amen. He would not have played Arriola at cmid against Trinidad and Zusi at right back against Honduras who have beat us down that touch line over and over and over and over.....

If we hire an American USMNT, I want an independent TD to keep score who doesn't report to Manager nor GM. A pedigreed European who has played in MLS in its current iteration would be ideal. I like Schweinsteiger. Vazquez (Toronto)could be good. For one thing our youth teams look washed out and ill groomed all the time in comparison with England, Germany and Spain at tournaments, as if they had slept in a dumpster the night before the game.

10. SilentAssassin

Apr 16, 2007
    St. Louis
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding your meaning, but if not, I really hope the TD can think of something better to do with his time than worry about the grooming habits of our youth teams.

WrmBrnr and IndividualEleven repped this.
  11. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Personally, I would like to see an American. I think Americans as a general comment understand the American player better. They understand the league better. They understand the culture better. And it’s better for the development of our coaches in this country to have that experience. So there are a few coaches that I think would fit that bill as Americans …”

Our team in the near future will likely be built around players like Pulisic, Wood, McKennie, Brooks, Miazga, Yedlin, etc. I don’t see how an American is going to understand them better. The idea of needing to understand the “American player” is silly and as outdated as Arena. There is no need for a coach to understand the league better. He needs to understand the talent of players eligible to represent the US.

We need the guy who is going to do the best job, no matter where they are from. He needs to identify talent, motivate players, command all of their respect, and be a good coach (implementing a system, tactically, in game adjustments, etc) plus many other characteristics. This discussion of needing to be “American” continues to be harmful to the team.

adam tash, Namdynamo, smokarz and 12 others repped this.
  12. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sam Hamwich repped this.
  13. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does "understanding the American player" even mean?

Sounds like Landon wants someone to pamper our snowflakes and reward mediocrity.

Ghost, Namdynamo, smokarz and 8 others repped this.
  14. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Nativist and parochialist nonsense.

tallguy, smokarz, TxEx and 2 others repped this.
  15. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    In his interview with Wahl, Donovan's thoughts on his move to Club Leon and current events seem relevant based on the twist this thread is taking:

Here's the actual interview:

https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/02/22/landon-donovan-club-leon-mexico-us-soccer-election-usmnt

On what he wanted to communicate when he joined Club León and said, “I don’t believe in walls”:

“Unfortunately, as you know when you travel a lot, people perceive us as being the same as our politicians and in particular our president, right? So unfortunately everywhere I go these days it’s, ‘You guys are all racist. You all hate Mexicans. You hate Africans. You hate everybody else in the world.’ And everybody assumes we are like our president. And I just wanted to make sure that I was very clear with how I feel. I grew up in Southern California, so I have an affinity for not only Mexicans but all Latin-Americans. And my family is Canadian, and my dad came to America many years ago. So while I can understand some people’s political points of view in not wanting open borders, I’ve benefited greatly from it in many different ways. And I know many, many, many hundreds if not thousands of people who have become Americans or just contribute greatly to the American society. So I wanted the people here to know where I stood on that and make it very clear.”

Donovan also mentioned the USSF Presidential election. I didn't quote his comments because ultimately they're pretty neutral. He liked the four candidates that talked with him during the race - Cordeiro, Gans, Martino, and Carter; he "briefly" talked with Wynalda and Caligiuri; and he never had an opportunity to talk with Solo or Winograd.

Donovan also discusses the one prior occasion on which he considered transferring south of the border - he considered going on loan to Club America instead of Everton in 2012.

16. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who the heck cares if the coach is American or not? What difference does it make? i want an innovative coach who is a good motivator and tactician, who can get the best out of the players, and who can mentor the younger players. I want someone who will find the best 23 American players and get them to play well together. It's that simple.

TxEx, wsmaugham, KicksNgiggles and 13 others repped this.
  17. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    His comments over the past five years tell the tale of his character on the matter.

TxEx and striker repped this.
  18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I'd have no problem if an MLS coach (like say Berhalter or Pareja) was given a contract thru the summer of 2019. In other words thru the 2019 Gold Cup and potentially Copa America. To me those options are fairly limited.

At that time if the coach has done an excellent job, they can be retained. If not, then the USSF can go out and hire the right international coach as we start preparing for 2022 WC qualification.

19. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Seems to make sense, but then we might not get someone who UNDERSTANDS the American player! Bruce understood. Backpass Beaz starting multiple games, Howard, Guzan, MB90 sitting between the CBs, Altidore scoring once in 10 games. We NEED to have someone who understands the American player, understands that, as Kramer sorta put it, EXPERIENCE (poise) COUNTS!

Patrick167 and Statman repped this.
  20. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The top talent is based outside MLS. That's where the coach should come from.

Patrick167 repped this.
  21. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    #21 Sam Hamwich, Feb 23, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    Here is the actual bothersome part. On the one hand he goes on and on about his immigrant 'qualifications' then the second MLS and USSF are mentioned he drops effortlessly into 'Merica till I die.

None of the players seem to realize they are evening doing this. It borders on a systemic schizophrenia created by the open conflict between JK and BigEars in which they were in some way forced to 'choose' between right and wrong, good and bad.

Cameron addresses this nicely by simply asking: why? Why not cherish success from players to and from MLS? The answer is pretty obvious, the USSF suffers from a deep, all consuming inferiority complex at all levels. It seeps through Bob Bradley and Arena comments. It permeates the youth ranks. It shows on the pitch now.

If the new president does not bridge this gap soon, the damage might not be reversed for generations.

It starts with these statement: We are not very good. We are not better than any top 20 team. We have deficiencies in our coaching, player development, player selection. What can we do to solve this?

Namdynamo, bsky22, gunnerfan7 and 3 others repped this.
  22. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Understands the American player" is synonymous with "safe spaces". I don't have time for that crap. You perform on the field or you don't. You play with passion for your country or you don't.

jnielsen, TxEx and wrench repped this.
  23. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bruce failed miserably.

Alexisonfire, striker and Statman repped this.
  24. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I think it means a coach that understands he has to diagram every movement of a player like an NFL coach does. As JJ says (and Sweinsteiger, Pirlo and Henry), you can't expect MLS guys to even run in the correct direction.

jnielsen and russ repped this.
  25. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually think if Cherundolo had more experience he'd be ideal. An American who went to Germany at a young age, played there for years and who transitioned into coaching there. Since Germany is becoming the destination of most of the best US young up and coming players it would make sense to have a coach who has experience with that league. I had thought it was time for a South American coach and while I'm not against it with so many guys in Germany and more going there it makes more sense to build a team around that style.

Patrick167 repped this.