News: Donovan says he has European offers, and is interested in saying yes

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by appoo, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    - One of the best players on the pitch against Italy (twice), once in the 06 World Cup (to the point that Pirlo called him out as an excellent player), and again in the 09 ConFed Cup, where if it weren't for a Red Card he would have led us to victory
    -Egypt, MotM performance, had an assist
    -Spain, MotM performance, directly responsibly for one goal, was every for us
    -Brazil, He was fantastic, scored a goal
    -England, not his best performance, but gave as good as he got against the English

With Everton
    MotM against Chelsea, schooled Arsenal. Good game against Manchester United.

He has played against the best, and he's excelled.

Martin Fischer repped this.
  2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your butthurt at Landon's choices makes me smile.

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Sure.

There are no players on the face of the planet that look "fantastic" in every game, however.
    In fact, we all know that Lionel Messi looked rather pedestrian for a long time with Argentina. Cristiano Ronaldo had a reputation earlier in his career from shrinking in the big games for Portugal. And on and on and on.

Your argument that "when strong opposition keys on him, he becomes less so" can be said for 99% of the players on the planet Earth. For a long, long time the opposition knew that if they stopped Landon Donovan they had a good chance of stopping the USMNT, San Jose, etc. We know Landon Donovan isn't Maradona for Christ's sake. And yet he's the USMNT's all time goals and assists leader (at the age of only 31). And he's very close to becoming MLS' all time goals leader. He's only 3 behind the mark of Jeff Cunningham as we speak (for some reason this record isn't as publicized by MLS as I think it should be.) And he's 2nd all time in MLS in assists. Now that he's just signed this long term deal he'll hold that mark some day as well. The man excels against virtually everybody he plays against. I'm not sure why people want mooooooooooooooooore. Do they want him to score a hat-trick against Barcelona before they acknowledge that he's a damn fine soccer player?

When it comes to US soccer, Landon Donovan is Babe Ruth.
    On the world football radar he's simply a very, very good player who'll have a very long international and club career. And Landon is fine with that. Living at home, playing the game he loves, while getting paid millions...................is more important than satisfying message board junkies who want him to do it while playing in a "bigger league." Why live in Birmingham playing soccer when you can get paid a similar amount to do it in Los Angeles? Beats me...................

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure every player in every sport ever plays better when the opposition doesn't key on him than what it does key on him.

I'm not sure what your "thought" is here. Seriously.

5. HunterX

HunterX Red Card

Aug 24, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    to be honest I'm not bothered. I don't have a club team so the USNT is my team. And Landon plays his best when he's comfortable and happy. If he were to go to Everton or a big league and struggle it would affect his play with the national side.

I'm just pointing out what I think is obvious. That he has a fear of failure.

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome. Keep it coming.

7. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
  9. HunterX

HunterX Red Card

Aug 24, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    translation: I could have gone to a big club in England but I'm afraid that I might fail. So instead I took the money at LA Galaxy where there is no pressure and people will never be able to say that I failed in England. Oh, and I'm still an Evertonian!

10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Ever been to England?

London is depressing as heck. I'd kill myself after a couple of years there.

Some people need sunshine, trees, and friendly people (reason why I avoid NYC like the plague too).

11. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Landon seemed far from depressed when at Everton. I can't think of any of our guys in England who appear depressed because of a lack of sunshine.

12. HunterX

HunterX Red Card

Aug 24, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Los Angeles is not exactly the place to be for that.

13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    That's why you make sure to earn enough to live in one of the nicer areas. :thumbsup:

14. HunterX

HunterX Red Card

Aug 24, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    that's where the most unfriendliest people live :p

I've lived in Los Angeles most of my life. Have also lived in England, Scotland, and NY. LA has its advantages but in my opinion it has the most unfriendliest people than any other city i've lived in.

15. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    #240 schrutebuck, Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
    The loans are great if they faciliate MLS players moving up. Not so great when there is no interest in transferring, as instead they are 5 week cameos which eliminate offseasons, cause the need for a hiatus in Cambodia and cause half the US fanbase to suddenly decide Donovan sucks.

Like Dempsey, Donovan should stay in LA (Seattle), enjoy life and keep playing well into his 30s.

16. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh? They don't cause that. Landon's personality caused that. His decision, he lives with it. Has nothing to do with loans causing it.

And Keane/Beckham/Henry all disagree with there not being any benefit to loans at a higher level. So does Landon's own track record prior to the last WC, as does Clint insisting on having a loan option in his current contract.

And no they don't eliminate off seasons. Still get the month of Dec, longer if you don't make the finals. That's pretty much on par with Europe except the added benefit it's 6 months prior to the WC rather than a full year prior with Euro leagues. I'd much prefer getting Dec off than part of June/July a full year prior to the WC. Bradley had just over 4 weeks off. Jozy 2-3 weeks off. Then back training and playing friendlies.

17. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team: