Donovan rumor confirmed: A 2.5 mo. loan to Everton

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by lmorin, Oct 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    I'm just pissed because the Galaxy can steal the best player in the league then make up whatever frigging rules and break whatever salary cap there is to keep THAT guy AND the most famous player in the world on their books indefinitely. So what if they choke -- it's still rigged.

2. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think you know Donovan any better than I do, so this is pretty meaningless stuff.

In any event, the first step is for Donovan to tear it up at Everton - that needs to happen if there is any chance for a move.

3. tubby_butter

tubby_butter Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Providence
    My two immediate and prominent thoughts on the subject:

1- Anyone else find it ironic that the way things are going, he's likely to spend ONLY winter months away from SoCal each year? Maybe its because I recently moved to New England from CA and winter is very much on my mind.

2- Some people are still saying this was the easy way out. But to me, this seems to me, out of all the scenarios, the one that puts the MOST pressure on him. With each loan, he'll have to start all over to win over the manager, teammates, and fans. Ever start a new job? You have to bust your ass each time before people start to respect you.

4. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless this really is just a one-off to get playing time before a World Cup.

5. irvine

irvine Member

Nov 24, 1998
    S. Portland, ME
    How dare you, sir, suggest that this might be exactly what all parties involved are saying it is?

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Repeated for it's simplistic truth.

7. tubby_butter

tubby_butter Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Providence
    You guys are probably right, but when I tuned in to the press conf yesterday and heard LD and Bruce say things like "continue to go on loan" and "best of both worlds" etc. To me, that indicated he'd likely do this more than once. I dropped off early, and didn't hear any mention of the world cup specifically.

8. Pandy Flapjack

Pandy Flapjack The Pompitous of Love

Aug 30, 2003
    Van by the River
    BIG NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on a possible twist to a Donovan Transfer to a top European Club coming up immediately after Geraldo opens Al Capone's Vault.

9. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Donovan rumors (Everton?)

I don't get this. He wasn't "soon to be out of contract." MLS still had him for 2 more years.

His signing this new deal does not change whatever would have happened with the Everton loan. Before the new deal, if Everton wanted to sign him permanently, they would have had to pay big bucks and buy him. After this new deal, if Everton wanted to sign him permanently, they will still have to pay big bucks and buy him.

10. jclampit

jclampit Member

Apr 12, 2002
    Re: Donovan rumors (Everton?)

La la land hypothetical...

Moyes tells MLS he's interested, but can't convince Everton to buy Landon for $10 million...$6-7 million, maybe, if he does well on loan. The extra 2 years, though, means his valuation goes up just a bit. Now Moyes, via internal valuation formulas that typically take into account more than just quality, is allowed to offer $8 million, which is more to MLS' liking.

MLS gets more cash. Everton get their guy. And, most importantly, we get what we want from our puppet, Landon (whose personal desire to stay home, if genuine and not a diversion from this happy conspiracy that's just been presented, is irrelevant). :)

OK...back to reality...

Seriously, though, I think I agree w/ those who wish he'd go, but realize it's his life, not ours. (Hopefully he'll do well in England and at the WC, decide he likes the bigger stage, and suitable offers - along w/ a bigger cut for Landon - will follow. If not, I guess we'll just have to wait; someday we'll hopefully have a star in Europe even if we'll never know, then, whether Landon could have been that guy or not.)

11. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Good for Donovan if MLS offered a contract he considers fair. Europe would be cool, but being the marquee player in MLS also has its perks. And, like other have said, want he wants is far more important that gaining some nebulous degree of "respect." I hope he lights it up for Everton then says, "it's been fun, but LA awaits."

12. SAMBA

SAMBA Member

Sep 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Me too, I really(really) hope your right....that'll be somewhat of a last laugh after his "apparent Euro failures".

Light it up Landon, turn the defenders like tops and put it in the onion bag!

13. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I don't understand. Donovan could have been a Yank Abroad. He could have been special and played in Europe. Real special. Instead of an MLS lifer - let's face it - which is what he is.

It was you, Arena! :mad:

Backstage, before the press conference ...

You want to know what's wrong with this deal? It's the love of a lousy buck. It's making love of a buck - -the cushy job - -more important than the love of high level soccer!

[All quotes courtesy of OTW http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047296/quotes]

Short scene here ... [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrq96cW2BuY"]YouTube- Marlon Brando in On The Waterfront "I Coulda Been Somebody"[/ame]

14. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Er.... yeah! I think we got it actually dude. You didn't have to include the film clip to remind us :D

Well, actually, maybe it's just my age that makes me say that... ;)

15. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Sorry, but you would be surprised. I know I have been many, many times - and of course I'm sure I'm equally oblivious to some more modern references. Be thankful I didn't link to a much longer clip! ;)

16. camasterton

camasterton Member

Jun 26, 2001
    North Carolina
    At best, this Loan will be a modest success. Donovan's first priority is and should be WC 2010. The USMNT has priority International Games in early and late January, February 26th and March 3rd. Not direct conflict of game days with Everton but certainly an issue for six (+/-) EPL/Europa fixtures in which LD will have to earn a spot. His place is not established in squad, he's not even a known entity with a set position and with this being more like a series of three week loans, he is at a huge disadvantage.

17. penumbra25

penumbra25 New Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With late January and February 26th not on the FIFA calendar, Donovan will not be released for these games. He'll only be in the March 3rd game, which is just a short hop over the English Channel. At most he'll miss a couple of days of practice.

18. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty disappointed with Donovan. But what else is new right? What he wants is always different than what everyone else wants from him. I understand a 2.5 month loan at Bayern because it's Bayern. But a 2.5 month loan at Everton is ********ing useless for him and Everton. Why would Everton even agree to a deal of only 2.5 months? Now Donovan has even more pressure to adjust to the English game even quicker than normal. So basically it becomes a case of he hits the ground running or he's a bust. He could do a Beckham by extending his loan if he wants, but I doubt he'd do that.

19. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    without being privileged to any of his MLS negotiations all I can say is this has got to be one of the most disappointing news stories of the year for US soccer lovers.

Our best player chooses to half-ass his way into the best soccer leagues of the world.

I mean I get it. He wants to be a part of building MLS. He wants his name to go down as the greatest MLS player of all time. He wants soccer to succeed in the US. He wants the league to win so that one day we wont get the best stars +6 years after they dominated.

But you have to think just taking 3 years to go to Europe and try to shine in a top league would have been just as compelling for US soccer players as it would have continued to validate MLS as a league that can send players to the best leagues and perform well.

Now he has to go through this dance every year for 3 months in some league for some team that needs help.

I get all the macro reasons, I just cant help feeling that yet again, he passed the ball in the box instead of taking the shot.

20. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell me, what was Landon supposed to do? Galaxy had 2 more years on his contract, told him they would not sell him. The only thing he can get is this loan - and he only gets the loan if he signs a new contract.

So what else is he going to do?

21. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. We just gotta face the facts that Landon is a very unique person. On some days he's the biggest poossie in the world and on others he's a hero.

22. JuanPeron

JuanPeron Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines
    I don't really have a problem with this move but I laughed at this. What are the perks of being the marquee player in MLS? Average footballers in the big 4 or 5 leagues probably have more perks.

23. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Say he wants out like every player that wants to leave MLS for Europe? Simply say "Thank you, AEG and MLS for the opportunity, but now I want to go to Europe. So you if you could please let me go on loan for 6 months so that I can prove myself at Everton so that when the summer window comes by, you get your asking price from a club overseas. Once again, thank you and I hope we can do business again in the future."

24. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LMAO. Repped. All these Galaxy fans are so ********ing delusional and selfish. Didn't you all read the Beckham Experiment? You know the book where your boy Landon and his perks only got to stay in the same cheap ass hotels as everyone else in the league. Landon and his perks also didn't even allow him to park in the garage at Home Depot. He had to park in the public parking lot just like all his teammates except Beckham until he bought his Maserati that just barely had a value worthy of being parked in the Home Depot garage with Becks.