Donovan replaces Forlan

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Jon Rhine, Oct 26, 2003.

1. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Donovan doesn't dribble as well as C. Ronaldo, but then few do. Forlan has a rocket of a shot. Everyone already knew that. Forlan is a striker and Donovan is an attacking mid. Very different positions with different skillsets required.

"Donovan is clearly not as good a finisher as Forlan can be"

I don't even know if this makes sense. No one knows what Forlan or Donovan can be. Forlan misses sitters and hits rockets in other games. Conclusion is that he is inconsistent, but full of great potential. I would say the same of Donovan. The jury is still out on both as finishers.

The other points I made about Donovan and Forlan still stand, regardless of whether Forlan hit a good shot in yesterday's game or not.

2. Penarol1916

Penarol1916 Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Forlan didn't just hit a good shot, he made Ruud's first goal and made some other very nice plays.
    I continue to agree with Mario Kempes that comparing the two is stupid because what they do requires different skills. The more Forlan plays against good competition, the better he becomes, that is why I advocate him going to a lesser club in a top-flight league.

3. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Wrong. Almost none of Donovan's goals at the National level are a result of his speed. Also, he hit a tremendous strike against Poland in the World Cup that was similar to Forlan's. Besides, Donovan doesn't use raw power on his goals, he used his dribbling skills, his accuracy, and his ability to finesse a ball any way he wants to.

what the hell is a "tough goal"?

Forlan is a better pure striker than Donovan. But that doesn't make him a better soccer player.

4. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forlan may be transforming before our eyes. He's certainly playing better very recently than has has over the past 2 years. You have to give him that.

BTW, this thread is neither a Donovan Circle Jerk [TM] nor a Bash Forlan BBQ [TM].

5. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    He was very good last night vs Rangers. I did the PBP thread for that match and I posted how I thought that goal of his was one of the most stunning I've ever seen.

6. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Forlan looked like a man possessed against Rangers while Donovan, for long stretches this season including now, has just looked bored and out of it.

Forlan also plays in one of the best systems on one of the best teams in the world. Donovan plays for a crap side with very mediocre players by comparison.

Given those disparities, comparison is hard. But the nod right now has to go to Forlan who is showing class at the very highest level, and he is only now really settling in. You'd have to think there still a lot of upside.

Donovan remains a mystery by comparison. We Nats fans know the kid is class, but we just don't know how much class, despite a nice WC. The fact is, he seems asleep on the job most of the time in MLS, despite the odd game when his class comes shining through and we instantly remember the player we know/hope he is.

I'd really like to see him with eyes possessed again, a la Germany at the WC, like Forlan was last night, playing with great players all around him and for the highest stakes. Could he handle it, could he shine? We'll never know till we see it, but the sad fact is unless he comes up big against LA, Donovan will have shown nothing on his own biggest stage, however minor it is compared to the grand one Forlan is playing on.

7. vinh08

vinh08 New Member

May 6, 2003
    Where is Donnavan @?

Diego need his boots clean so he can score more goals againts the pool this sunday and don't forget Flectcher too.

I guess the managers of G14 must be dum (notice Sir Alex is included). No one take a look at world class Donnavan.

Tell LD clean it really good now.

8. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Oh give it a break. I can just imagine what you must have said when they were talking about Howard going to Man U. How right were you then?

9. CelticOnFire

CelticOnFire New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    London right now
    Wiat, LD is still on loan from Leverkusen, right?

10. TheAmerican

TheAmerican Red Card

Apr 21, 2005
    US of ******** A
    Might as well. With Glazer there, you can pretty much turn ManU into the European club that all the better American footballers go to. :p

11. Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe Member

Sep 5, 2003
    St. Looney ^the CB&J
    I wish I had rep left to give you for bringing this thread back to life...

lol

Bump then...

:D

12. TheAmerican

TheAmerican Red Card

Apr 21, 2005
    US of ******** A

Go ahead and give it. I already got a fvcking yellow card. :p

13. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Meanwhile, Forlan tied with Henry to win the Golden Boot for all of UEFA.

14. TheAmerican

TheAmerican Red Card

Apr 21, 2005
    US of ******** A
    Sorry, I didn't pay attention to the date. :(
    Should've known better when I noticed them talking about Forlan in ManU when he's been with Villareal for a while now. :p

15. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    I'm sure not a day goes by that Man Utd don't kick themselves for not signing Mathis.

16. TheAmerican

TheAmerican Red Card

Apr 21, 2005
    US of ******** A
    Well, at least they got Rooney! :p

17. thehands1616

thehands1616 New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    little island
    wow... this thread is literally mind boggling.
    it must feel pretty humiliating to be some of the posters in this thread literally sucking landons dick. oh well, on to eddie johnson, and dempsey lol

18. josomebody

josomebody New Member

Nov 6, 2004
    Cleveland
    Great idea. Donovan has been getting trash for comming back to the U.S but I think its just because German soccer doesn't fit him. English, Dutch, Italian or Spanish would be great. The Germans just aren't very creative. Donovan needs a little room to breath and he will do amazing.

19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, I missed that part.

20. TheAmerican

TheAmerican Red Card

Apr 21, 2005
    US of ******** A
    Any country, like Germany or England. Countries known more for defensive rather than offensive styled clubs wouldn't suit Donovan. They usually require more...taller players. Maybe a Mexican or South American League would be better for him. Full of speedy, offense-minded midgets who take lots of dives and complain a lot. J/K :p

21. McKinney_Burn

McKinney_Burn New Member

Jan 13, 2003
    Pizza Hut
    Aren't all LD threads that way around here? It is apparent that they have all sucked his game right out of him. I can't imagine how dehydrated he must be.

22. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And this is why that Related Thread feature needs to be turned off now.

23. Daren Spencer

Daren Spencer New Member

Jun 25, 2001
    Chico,California
    Yer killin' me Smalls.......

Manchester United States.......oh boy.....that is hilarious......should get some shirts with this on it and sell them at Old Trafford next year.....

24. Scrambles

Scrambles New Member

May 21, 2004
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D

25. TheAmerican

TheAmerican Red Card

Apr 21, 2005
    US of ******** A
    I believe some Arsenal fans already made them.