Donovan proves to be what Europe knows he is...

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Badattitude, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Badattitude

Badattitude New Member

May 31, 2003
    Laughable...
    He was bounced all over the pitch today by the Big Bad Czech's ...he gets swallowed in the middle...I'm done defending him....his play was unacceptable today in a HUGE spot.
    The ONLY way to get him going is to move him wide...And when he faces Gattusso on Saturday - forget it....you're talking man v.s. boy ....Gennaro will chop him down like a buzzsaw through a twig....

5-0 Italy ....Arena has lost the team...and we look so far out of it today - I can't see us coming back. This is gonna be ugly.

Not to mention Bruce's comments will only push the premadonna's even further away - we're done.

2. sluggo271

sluggo271 New Member

Feb 7, 2005
    council bluffs
    Bruce has always said you have to earn the jersey. But for Donovan it's gift wrapped. Shouldn't he have to earn it too?

The guy is scoreless in how many minutes and disappears every game!

3. Badattitude

Badattitude New Member

May 31, 2003
    He's is the epitomy of an MLS'er.

4. LSUnited

LSUnited Member

Feb 11, 2004
    San Antonio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Donovan's time with the Galaxy has been exactly what he DID NOT need, a mediocre and meaningless regular season where they scrapped into the playoffs and won the championship despite their average record.

It reinforced his attitude that sandbagging it through 30 MLS games is good enough for him to be a winner.

Maybe he saw those red jerseys yesterday and thought he was playing Liverpool again.

At least he'll get better use of those Dodgers season tickets.

Doing all he needs to do in MLS, my ass.

5. jscott23

jscott23 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 24, 2003
    Poway, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which game were you watching?

6. LSUnited

LSUnited Member

Feb 11, 2004
    San Antonio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Czech warm-up's were red. They showed the video of their run-through yesterday and before the game.

7. Henry Porter

Henry Porter Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It really sucks that he's our biggest offensive creator. I wish we had a more forceful personality in that position.

8. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    He needs to get on a motorcycle, sans helmet, and take a ride.

9. VOwithwater1

VOwithwater1 Red Card

Apr 23, 2006
    Donovan is a good player who did not get enough touches in this game. He has to put himself in a position to get more touches no matter what you call his field position like a striker.

Nedved was called a left wing mid did he play like a left wing mid. He put himself in a position to get a ton of touches that is what Donovan has to do.

Hey screw all these back passes if we have speed we can't use it with all these back passes. The Germans in the 80's if they back passes the fans would whisle their boo. We should do that as well.

10. Bavarian

Bavarian New Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Toronto
    Donovan is what he is..... Leverkusen knew exactly what they were doing when they cut him and set him free to come back to the MLS. He claims it was the way the game is played there, the way of life etc....as to why he could not compete for a job with the starting 11. And then has the stones to actually state that he will just as well served playing in the MLS as in europe...yah OK there partner!!!! Thats like comparing the NFL with division 3 NCAA ball......

The plain truth is a combination of lack of skill but more importantly a lack of fortitude and fighting spirit. He likes to talk alot of shite but rarely if ever backs those words with actions when it matters most.

I believe Klinsmann even stated something to that effect when asked about Landon at a soccer summit type deal in the US a couple of years back.

Just my 2 cents.....

11. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    that is incorrect.

12. socks

socks New Member

Dec 17, 2003
    oaxaca mexico
    I hate to agree with the spirit of this thread, but donovan is looking like he loves the big fish in a small pond role he has chosen. if he performs the same against italy, he will lose me as a fan (like he cares). the mexican announcers here said that he talks much better than he plays...and to agree with mexican commentators....ouch.

13. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC
    That is a horrible thing to be known for.

Even amatuer players know to let your actions do your talking. Landycakes did talk a lot of smack to go out there and not even let it all hang out. He disappeared and showed no passion. The same can't be said for T&T or any other team in the tourney, really.

14. Bavarian

Bavarian New Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Toronto
    Mabey its a bit of an exageration but still your MLS allstar team was thrashed by real madrid...what 5-0 or something like that and madrid are a shambles team who were in preseason mode. The evidence was on display yesterday, your guys well over performed in 2002 and have swelled heads now. Get ready for the thud when they come crashing back to earth going 0-3 and out in the first round. Landon is no leader and Reyna cannot do it alone.

15. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Landon Donovan is ********ing dirgrace. Players with character can be taken out of their comfort zone and still excel. The only place Landon can do crap is back in sunny CA. The guy has not heart. He has no love for the game. I mean he talks about retiring for christ's sake. He and DMB can go back to the U-17 youth champioships for all I care. We are better off without them down the road.

16. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never been much of an LDo fan, although watching him carry the Galaxy around on his back last year during the playoffs I had to concede that the kid can play.

But I don't understand why people are singling him out. The whole team from back to front, played the same way - tight, listless and confused looking.

It's hardly fair to single out any one player. It was a crap performance by a bunch of candyasses playing without pride like a bunch of little girls against the eleven men the Czechs sent out there. It was a total team (lack of) effort.

17. Nermalthecat

Nermalthecat Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Donovan has been (self)annointed as the face and future of American soccer and Donovan chose to thumb his nose at Europe when he couldn't hack it there. That's why Donovan's (and Beasley's) getting singled out for a crap performance, even though he had plenty of company.

18. Pyro

Pyro Member

Apr 18, 2000
    Fulton River District
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Arena can start him at left back and then you all can pile on him from there too!! Donovan and Beasley were not put in their natural positions and were not shockingly ineffective, at least Beasley was a defensive presense. (If you have bear to watch the tape again, please review.) Donovan should only be on the field as an attacking mid or else he will be ineffective time and time again. I can't believe no one here recognizes this as the root of the problem yesterday. If you are looking to point fingers, find Bruce.

19. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Neither of them have any balls. That's the bottom line. Beasley has obviously been humbled in Europe this year because he has no confidence.

20. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    did anyone see the interview with LD after the game? he was misty eyed. Looked like the kid could have cried. He knows it people, he knows it.

And all this poor talk will just help him play a different game against Italy. I think that turnarounnds are a thing of WCs and I think that Landon will play like a mad man against Italy only so that he can tell everyone to f*** off once again. I think LD enjoys the proving people wring part more than anything else. Its rather immature if you ask me.

on a side note, what a waste of money Nike has put into the american Joga Bonito campaign if we loose Saturday.

21. alocksley

alocksley Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    This is such a pathetic thread. The team was awful. Donovan was too. It happens. He was played in a position where he was too dependent on others getting him the ball, which didn't help. But to say that he's gutless and has no passion is absurd. He has been a leader for us throughout qualifying, speaking very honestly and backing it up with his play. Now he needs to do the same.

To say he doesn't have the skill is also absurd. He's still our best player on the ball and hopefully will show his quality if Bruce plays him at the position we all know he should be playing - attacking mid, where he can operate deeper and get the ball.

Bench him? For who? Josh Wolff? Come on. Ibrahimovich had an underwhelming first match for Sweden. Should he be benched? England didn't get much out of Owen or Gerrard. Will they be replaced? These are excellent players who will make their mark before the tournament is over. They and their teams were underwhelming, but good players are given latitude and time to turn it around, which they usually do.

22. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    I have no objection to "LD sucked yeseterday" statements, because it was true.

But to try and link it to the "Europe" thing is ridiculous.

Was DMB or McBride any better?

No. Actually worse.

COnvey was marginally better but not great by any stretch.

We sucked all around the block.

Arguably our best player was EJ, plying his trade for the KC Wizards.

pffffffssssssssssssssttttttttt............

23. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed.

Agreed.

Agreed.

Agreed.

Agreed.

You fools jumping all over LD, blaming this loss on his playing in MLS, are showing that you have exactly no idea what you are talking about. Go watch a U12 game, and leave the football to the men.

Somebody please bin this useless thread.

24. illinizissou

illinizissou New Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Everyone sucked yesterday. However rewatch the game. Donovan was the one who set up Reyna. He set up about 60% of the US chances. He and O'Brien were the only ones who weren't playing long ball and giving the ball back to the Czechs every possesion. Donovan had almost no bad touches. Sure he was lazy and didn't work hard in the second half. His effort was poor. The talent was there. How many times did Reyna, Lewis and McBridge turn the ball over? It was an awful display of passing. This is what happens when you field of teams of Euro second stringers who have never played together. It's time Arena put out the team that earned the US the trip to Germany, and that was full of MLS players.

25. SLCTex

SLCTex Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    It's just a game. No need to wish him harm- or even life threatening injuries.