Donovan, Howard: Everton vs. Sporting Lisbon [R] Europa League 2/16 12:45 EST

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by schrutebuck, Feb 16, 2010.

1. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll admit, I might have missed the context of the entire debate.

2. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The guy is nails isn't he. When he split his face it annoyed me the ref didn't let him back on for the FK, seeing as he was our only real threat.

3. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    We used to be much better about stuffing ballots around here - but we must have matured. ;)

4. kjksccr

kjksccr Member

Feb 25, 1999
    San Carlos, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he had a good second half. The one big mistake he made was when that shot slammed off the post. He had failed to follow the run into the box and Everton almost paid dearly for it. He has not yet developed the paranoia of a defender.

5. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice.

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I coach U-littles (9-10, not 7-8) I tell them that when they're defending, assume something bad will happen...their keeper will fumble the ball, a teammate will shank a pass, whatever.

When they're attacking, assume something good will happen...that high clearance will bounce over the defenders head, the shot will hit the crossbar and come right back, etc.

That's another way to put it.

7. Arteta's Girl

Arteta's Girl Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Liverpool, UK
    Club:
    Everton FC
    The best way. Teach them young. Far too many professionals don't think these ways for my liking.

8. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's the basics. Same as play to the whistle. As a defender you shouldn't turn your back or switch off, and as a striker, chase down and always gamble, don't just assume it'll always go the same way. Good foundations to start on.

9. kjksccr

kjksccr Member

Feb 25, 1999
    San Carlos, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ironically, one of the things that has impressed me about Donovan during this spell is his early runs in and around the other team's penalty area. Watch him off to the sides of the main camera focus and he almost always is headed to the space before anyone else. When you think about it, it has only been in the last year or so that LD has really been asked to have a defined defensive role with the national and/or club teams.

Since I have no skill, I have always had to be the paranoid guy. :D It is amazing how many crosses and shots you can cut out by just getting your ass behind the ball.

10. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    I definitely think Sporting looked at some film- scouting- they know the other players for Everton, they decided to mark Donovan very tightly, deny the ball, aware of his speed, on the right side. Not much better options than those back passes on the right.

Which is why I expected, and think it was a good move, that they shifted guys around midway through the first half and Donovan went to the left for the remainder of the half. The game opened up quite abit right there, Everton several chances and a very good goal, Cahill and Pienaar excellent, the negative is that Sporting had some chances too.

Everton are doing everything right with LD. I hope he sees some more time on the left where he more frequently goes inside behind the forwards.

Mediocre game going forward from LD, but he did lots of running and defensive work since he wasn't too involved in the attack.

Howard was good, one excellent save. I thought Distin was very good until the bad trap and pk/card.

Good luck to Everton in Portugal.

11. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I cant fault donny for not taking on more guys 1 v 1. In the prem, as a whole, it amazes me how many players refuse to take advantage of their expert dribbling abilities against one sole defender. I call it the Frank Lampard syndrome (not that he's an expert dribbler by any stretch). It just seems like the culture of the league. Perhaps the fouls are too harsh, and the refs are too lax for players to have long lasting careers as skilled dribblers in the EPL. Perhaps Moyes drills these guys to play the pass first, altough Pienaar seems to take guys on regularly. I do realize this was a european match

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or assume the other team will take a quick IFK after your keeper handles a back pass.

Just sayin'.