Donovan, Friedel, Reyna: Honda Award Finalists

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Ismitje, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. nowhere

nowhere New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    Reyna, all-world cup team and the best player on a team in the premier league. Maybe he didn't deserve all-world cup team, but I don't know if I've ever seen a better performance by an American player than Reyna vs. Germany.

3. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    Reyna vs. Mexico?

both were stellar

I'd put my money on a media darling everytime :)

Bigfoot, where's McBride?

4. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To find McBride you must simply follow Segroves trail.

5. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder how they overlooked John O'Brien.

6. JerzyRebel

JerzyRebel New Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Land of Paulie Walnuts
    The award takes into account this year's World Cup and the spring club season. O'Brien didn't light things up for Ajax last spring but both Reyna and Friedel had big seasons in England.

It should be:

1. Friedel
    2. Reyna
    3. Donovan

I like Reyna more but he has won the award before and Friedel played in all five games, including Portugal. Reyna missed Portugal and didn't play that well against South Korea.

O'Brien had a great first two games but where was he after South Korea?

7. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    All JOB did was start about every game last spring for the team that won the Eridivisie. He did not "light things up" because he was and is still employed as the starting left back for Ajax. Since the Dutch do not record assists, and stats have never really favored defenders in soccer, it would be hard for ANY defender to "light things up."

Having said that, it took about 1 game for teams to realize that attacking through his side of the field wasn't a great idea. I watched about every game that was shown on FSW involving Ajax and JOB, and his work offensively AND defensively from the left back position were superb.

After Korea, JOB continued to play wonderful soccer for the US in the World Cup, and his steady, consistent performances were some of the main reasons the US advanced to the QFs. Again, that might not show up on the stat sheet, but most who watched the US agreed that JOB was one of the stars, if not THE star, for the US in June.

The absence of JOB as a finalist in this year's Honda POY award is based on 3 players having truly outstanding years for their clubs and country. Were they better than JOB? That is a tough call. But instead of tearing down one of our great performers, I'll congratulate him on a terrific year and expect to see him win this award in years to come.

8. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    Setting up Lewis's assist to Donovan against Mexico.

I think Reyna should win. He played big when we needed it. Friedel, say what you will, could have just stuck his hand out and blocked that ball temporarily instead of falling on it against Germany and his PK save against Poland, while impressive, wasn't needed to advance. Reyna's play against Mexico was very much needed.

9. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its going to be Donovan. I think I would vote for Friedel (solid WC, earned a Euro spot in England) over Reyna (He played 2 strong games at the WC and plays in the EPL 8/) or Donovan (Hit and Miss World Cup, MLS Cup too?).

10. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    It should goto Reyna but I think Honda will give it to Landon because..well he is Landon donovan and a "star" (see ESPY)

11. Barca_Fan2003

Barca_Fan2003 New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    Slidell, LA
    Barry Bonds or Lance Armstrong should win this award.

12. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My first, and biased choice, is Frankie Hejduk.

But I think Brad Friedel gets the nod on this one. Landon will have other opportunities and Reyna had a good tournament, but Brad outshined them all.

Besides, if he wins we get to hear that English accent once again.

13. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    It absolutely should be Friedel. He single handedly kept Blackburn from the relegation zone, and of course he performed superbly at the WC. What more does he have to do? (Btw, I was a Keller supporter before the WC)

14. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

McBride is in Columbus, I guess, being overlooked as usual. He was one of the best players in both important competitions this year and I thought he had a shot at the award.

I think some posters are misreading what this award is about.

It's for performance with the USMNT, so all talk about play in the European leagues or even MLS is irrelevant. That's why you don't see any mention of their club performances in the lists of their accomplishments for the year.

15. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    I actually agree with you, McBride should be there. I guess they had to choose 3 of 4 and he was the odd one out. If Bruce had ever rested him, there might not be ANY question, but instead he was useless in the second half of his last two world cup games.

16. Playable Back

Playable Back New Member

Apr 26, 2002
    If Donovan wins I agree that part of it might be attributed to his image/potential image. But he did have two goals at the WC and his club side is looking good to win the Western Division, etc...

Friedel was MVP for his club side and we all know about the World cup.

Reyna MADE the all World Cup team and was a record signing for his new club...but his club is atrocious.

JOB won a double w/ Ajax and I believe was rated as the top midfielder by an Italian publication after the first round of play at the WC. He also "spotted the mohawk" for the goal against S. Korea.

17. Playable Back

Playable Back New Member

Apr 26, 2002
    So who should win it???

Jeff Agoos

:D

18. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    1. Clint Mathis
    2. Brad Friedel
    3. John O'Brien

19. StymieG

StymieG Member

Sporting KC
    United States
    Oct 9, 2000
    Jacksonville, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure and don't feel like looking up if this award is based only on play for country, or if club is included too. So I'm voting twice. :)

If based on play for USA only:
    1. Tony Sanneh - how the hell was he overlooked?
    2. O'Brien
    3. Friedel

If based on club and country:
    1. Friedel
    2. O'Brien
    3. Reyna

20. Playable Back

Playable Back New Member

Apr 26, 2002
    Good point

21. gosya

gosya Member

Feb 6, 2001
    New York
    Sanneh is definitely up there. Defenders usually don't get much notice in all sports, but this guy was one of the main pillars of US World Cup success.

22. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are three finalists: so hypotheticals about others are strictly that, although I could argue, as many here have, for JOB's and Sanneh's contributions. Anyway, it does depend if it is solely for U.S. natinal team play or for club and country. If it is solely country, I think that Donovan wins because he played during the final qualifiers, the Gold Cup, and played well during the World Cup. That contrats with the contributions of Friedel and Reyna during this same period. However, if it is club and country if gets more complicated. I would probably give the nod to Friedel then. He kept a newly promoted team up. He won a nationwide trophy and won the MVP in that match. He played throughout the U.S's run with many solid and spectacular moments. Reyna made the All-World team, he played very well for Rangers (rated best midfielder in the Scottish league by OPTA when he moved to Sunderland), but he was also injured a good part of the time he was at Sunderland. Donovan was good at the Cup and helped lead San Jose to a chmapionship and to 1st place in the beginning of this season. Now, that I look back it is even closer than I thought, but I would still go back to my selections.

23. StingRay37

StingRay37 Member

Dec 4, 2000
    North Carolina
    Sanneh or O'Brian should be ahead of Donovan. He is there because he is the supposed savior of US Soccer. How many chances did he blow against Germany?

24. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on US Play:
    1) Donovan
    2) Reyna
    3) Friedel

Based on Club Play:
    1) Friedel
    T-2) Donovan
    T-2) Reyna

Donovan 5 points
    Friedel 4 points
    Reyna 4 points

Donovan wins it in my book. Claudio is hurt by his injuries (no pun intended). Friedel had a good World Cup, great at times, but was not consistently stellar. He was hurt by Poland game but will always be remembered for the South Korea game.

Sanneh had a great World Cup, but was not so good with his club until very late in the season.

25. slacker

slacker Member

Nov 20, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not technically a defender, but . . .

This is true, but IIRC, Chris Armas won this award a couple of years ago - perhaps in 1999.

He is not technically a defender, but his contribution to the USMNT has always been primarily defense.

Has Eddie Pope ever won this award?

Who are some of the other past winners other than Stewart in 2001, Reyna in 2000 (and Armas in 1999?)?