Donovan doesn't want to leave Cali, ever

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by southsideirish71, Aug 26, 2004.

1. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. But both ideas about why he is playing better are mostly likely true.

This is mostly true...he is a one-two touch player. Much better passer than dribbler. He's a playmaker, that is why he belongs in the attacking midfield role.

Which Jamaica game are you talking about? We didn't win the last game we played against them.

No argument here.

Only to continue to improve on the God-given talent he has been blessed with.

2. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    whoops. I meant the point we got for the tie. :eek:

3. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And at that last point we are just going to have to agree to disagree ;)

4. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :) I figured that but wasn't sure. Cheers.

5. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Well I can tell you that as a Metro supporter I was happy for both Tim Howard & Clint Mathis going to Europe to make themselves better and to makethemselves improve for the National Team as well for World Cup Qualifying. Happy for Timmy at Man Utd and happy for Clint at Hannover 96.

Does that mean that the experience at the MLS level has brought their talent level down? I don't think so, because if not for MLS improving on the talent level of American players then these two wouldn't have gotten themselves the European Contrcats they were looking for.

At the same time Eddie Pope has been called to the National Team how many times and the majority of his career has been here in MLS for both DC United & Metros. Landon Donovan wanted to break thru in Germany & Leverkusen but the snobs at the club didn't think he was strong enough or physical enough to handle it. That's why he was angry and ainxious to show what he has. In my opinion I'm glad that Landon Donovan is still here in MLS and he doesn't want to leave the league. He wants to stay in MLS. If the Quakes don't leave for Texas he will be happy. If they do move to Texas and the core players stay, he will be happy. If the owners of Club America do replace the majroity of players in the club, and he wants to go to either Galaxy or Chivas USA he will be happy. What ever makes him happy should make us all happy.

He is playing in MLS. It's his life, why should I or all of you who says he should do what we think he should do. Glad to see him play period. I say Leverkusen can shove it where the sun doesn't shine if Landon doesn't want to go back to Europe. In fact I think they are crying in their soup and kicking themselves in the rear that they should have let him play after his performence in the 2002 World Cup. Could you Imagine if Landon scored on Oliver Kahn in the Quarterfinals on those first three chances he had? Leverkusen officials would have been creaming their jeans.

Here is something I just thought of. I hate mixing politics with football, but I think this sounds identical. Those who are Liberal & Democrat wants our US players to play in Europe or appease the Europeans politically, where as those who are Conservative & Republican wants him to stay and make the league better as well as let him live. This is only my opinion.

My opinion of course is this. He goes back to Europe I'm happy for him. If he stays and makes the league better I'm happy for him. I can say for a fact his skills haven't fallen. No one remembers the 5-5 draw in Spartan against the Metro, or on some of the ESPN 2 Matches that him with Brian Ching & Mulrooney are working well with each other and they are doing the job. Those of you who say Donovan should go ack to Europe. Leave it alone and stop dictating who should go to Europe.

6. Roblar

Roblar Member

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    Move the Quakes to Europe

7. NSlander

NSlander Member

Feb 28, 2000
    LA CA

8. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    agreed with everything you said in your post until this point. This point is crazy. Seriously.

9. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those who want him to go off to Europe also want him to marry a man and get addicted to heroin, while those who want him to stay in the US also want him to accept Jesus in his heart and play a real sport like football or baseball. ;)

Personally, I am happy with whatever Landon decides. I think if he goes to Europe he will succeed, and I agree that it would be a good career move. If he stays in the US, that is such an awesome gesture, in my opinion. I remember when the Quakes played the Sounders in the Open Cup back in 2002. The Quakes won a thriller in OT. After the game, Landon spent a good half an hour signing autographs and talking to people in the stands. At the time, his contract with MLS was up and it was possible that he was going back to Bayer. I approached him, and asked him not to go back, and he said he would do everything he could to stay. He loves the fans, and the fans love him. What more can you ask for?

- Paul

10. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suggest you do a little reading of your own - read the original article from which the soccernet.espn article was cloned. The original poster (as well as the espn article) left out a few things; hence, my post. (Search my other post and you'll see which article I'm referring to.

And yeah, I do get a little pissy. Because it's amazing to me how posters leap at the chance to denigrate this guy by twisting his words around to put him in the worst light possible. I mean, he's been a great soccer player for the nats and for MLS. I just don't get it. Guess I never will.

11. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i'm very liberal and very democrat and i'd rather have him stay in MLS and make the league better.
    yea for generalizations!!!
    seriously, do you think where landon plays will appease anybody in Europe politically? I'm sure they french are just sitting around saying, 'if only landon played over here, then i'd be all on board with invading iraq. damn you landon donovan for destroying world peace! DAMN YOU!!'
    me neither.

12. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Thanks for your reactions to that paticular part of my post. Just wanted to see how you folks were gonna respond. :D

But seriously. Landon can do what ever he wants to do. Doesn't need me or us to tell him what's good for him.

13. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    To hone what???????????????????????????

Buddy....what are you talking about....Landon Donovan neet to hone what??...Did you miss world cup 2002... I can get you a free copy of the Germany/USA game...the only skill that Donova neet to hone is probably the referees/linemens ass kissing skill perhaps he could get a more IMPARTIAL REFEREES on the next world cup......

14. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    what, you assume he's listening or cares what we're writing?

15. robchap628

robchap628 New Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Atlanta
    I think it's very possible that Landon ends up making a move to England in the near future, it seems he's only intent on staying in MLS in order to avoid going back to Leverkusen. Once his contract expires with Leverkusen I wouldn't be suprised to see him go to England

16. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    England, where the sun shines and the girls are tan.

- Paul

17. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm very conservative and very Republican and for soccer reasons I personally would like to see him in Europe. But I'm not LD and I'm not living his life. He makes his choices.

18. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Landon should do whatever he wants. I don't think any of us are truely telling him what to do, unless you actually know him. :p

But BigSoccer is here for us to discuss our opinions and views of the things related to the game we all love. It doesn't hurt anyone to discuss whether or not Landon should go to Europe. The very point of these message boards is to discuss opinion. ;)

19. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Well - Pro soccer is a business and sometimes you gotta play where the business tells you to - Like it or not - In this case, probably back to Germany

There aren't many players who can demand to go to one club versus another - They're the exception, not the rule - They got that way through skill, notoriety and being stars

Donovan isn't there yet - Maybe here but not internationally - But given a few spectacular years in Europe, then who knows?

But for the time being, he's gonna have to go where the business tells him to - And NO - No team will simply let him play out his contract without getting some sort of return on their investment - They'll sell him before his contract is up - To another business

I hope Donovan does superbly wherever he eventually ends up - It would be great if that were Europe - That would just open the doors more for more young Americans overseas

From a business standpoint, it seems to no longer make any sense to keep him here in the States - For some strange reason MLS just isn't marketing a young, good-looking, star who's led his team to TWO MLS titles like him to potential fans - Particularly teenagers who would spend lots of money on products associated with him and other young American stars - The only guy they seem to market now is Adu - Who has a lot of outside publicity but hasn't come through yet

So from a business and marketing standpoint, Donovan might as well go to Europe -

20. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regarding Donovan, I was thinking about the same thing after watching the Adu show yet again this weekend. Sure Adu has the novelty factor, but that he is better known that the best player in the league (and arguably in the country) is the fault of MLS.

Donovan and DMB should be pitching some broadband phone service for long distance calls right now :)

21. ACGreen

ACGreen Member

May 12, 2004
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This comparison to Pele and following statements are bit misleading. In the 60s and 70s the Brazilian league was highly competitive and was home to the players of some of the most dominating Brazilian national teams ever.

There were strict limits on how many internationals any team could have so the talent stayed where it was. Whereas now, any player with big prospects leaves Brazil when he is 19, the talent stayed home.

Final point: every summer Pele and Santos went on world tours where they played several of the top teams in each country. These were not the B-side Champions Tours of today, but hard fought, pride-laden battles where each team felt like they were playing as much for country as club.

The world of soccer has changed and Pele would not be playing in Santos, no matter how romantic that would be.

22. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Same here, glad to meet you, and I hope the Quakes stay home, too.

23. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    That would be England, California or England, Florida? I get them confused.

24. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree with you. Also add in the fact, and please check this one, that Brasil passed a law which didn't allow Pele to playand/or be sold to a team outside of Brasil.

25. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    Really? I think that the Portuguese government did something like that to Eusebio. Never heard that about Pele.