Donovan doesn't want to leave Cali, ever

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by southsideirish71, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    And soccer in Brasil didn't reach it's exalted level by shipping players off to Europe. They developed their own style -- which was easier to do half a century or more ago. Even as late as 1970, players tended to stay in their own countries; rarely did a player leave to play in a foreign league. There were exceptions, of course -- di Steffano at Real Madrid, etc.

In earlier World Cups, opposing players usually knew each other only by reputations. Now, opposing players frequently are teammates at a club in England or on the Continent. Personally, I admire a player willing to buck the trend and proceed with his life counter to the received wisdom that you won't be your best unless you go to Europe.

I want to see MLS become one of the top leagues, and that will take time and patience and players willing to stay home.

2. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the end, it is his life, and who the hell cares what we think? However, i do agree with whoever said that he won't advance his game if he stays here forever. I think he could probably help the nats and MLS MORE if he went to Europe, even if only for a year or two, and played at the highest competitive level. And i totally understand the need for a personal life... but... he's going to stunt his growth as a player for someone who's not his wife? who knows, mabye she will be one day, but if not??? the greatest test of strength for any relationship is distance.. if he wanted stability he should have gone into teaching. that's harsher than i meant, but you get my point.
    again, it's his life. he has to make the decisions. it's not our place, and we don't know his situtation. he knows what makes him happy. and lucky for him we don't own his rights :p

3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Kids, the writing's on the wall. Speaks Spanish. Doesn't want to leave Sunny Cali.

Say goodbye shakers, hello Chivas.

Get your tix now, amigos. It's Lan-don Don-na-von

4. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

you know what's funny?
    back in his first year in MLS people said he wouldn't develop because he's left europe.
    He improved.
    They said in his second year that's it obvious he's plateaued, and if he doesn't get back to europe they're going to hold their breath until they turn blue.
    He improved.
    They said that this year he HAS to get back to europe because his game won't improve.
    He improved.

Anybody else notice a trend here?

The people who say he hasn't improved this year, or that he has leveled off, haven't seen him play. PERIOD. turn on your TV and open your eyes people.

And I want to second (and third) those who say it's his life. I'm constantly amazed by people on here who feel donovan's goals should be to fulfill their hopes and dreams and not his own.

5. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I think he will end up in Europe just because BL will refuse to extend the loan again. Sure, MLS could buy him outright, but how much would that cost? $5-$10 million would be my guess and I don't think MLS should spend that much on a single player, at least not now. Donovan is the best player in MLS, but not the most marketable and when it comes to money, marketing matters far more than skill.

6. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to see Donovan hop across the pond just se he could be measured against more players that are closre to his level. It's frustrating at times watching him play. He is such a brilliant passer, and many times his teamates aren't good enough to take advantage of his skills (although it's been fun watching him and Ching recently).

He really doesn't have the killer instinct of a great striker, and I think it would be great to see him play with someone on the level of Van Nistleroy or Henry (I know that's setting the bar fairly high, but you get my point). I also agree that his improvement may be more rapid, but only if he is not miserable in Europe. If he is as unhappy as he was in Germany, I really can't see him getting that much out of it.

Of course I agree with the main point that everyone else seems to be making: It's his life. I also think that (in some ways) it takes a lot more guts for him to stay here than to go.

7. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but, on the flip side, having a player of his caliber raises the level of people around him. the quakes play off landon very well, for example.
    but from a pure entertainment standpoint, yeah, it would be fun to see him link with some other truly great players.
    howefver, for as long as he wants to stay in MLS, I'm happy to have him.
    especially considering the situation here in San Jose with the uncertain future of the club, I just find it refreshing to have a U.S. superstar who's loyal to the league and to american soccer. to me, it's another reason to be a fan of the guy.

very good point.

8. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    I root like hell for our boys overseas. Makes me proud as an American when I see JOB or Beasley or Stevie C kicking ass and taking names on the biggest stages. That said, if I hear Donovan say that part of his rationale is to send a big fat F-You to you, me, and everyone else that tells him what he should do with his career, my opinion of him will change 180 degrees.

OK, maybe 90, but still, it would be cool.

9. 1953 4-2-4

1953 4-2-4 Red Card

Jan 11, 2004
    Cleveland
    At 16, he was the best 16 year old in the world. At 22, he's not nearly the best 22 (or younger) player in the world. He'll always be relatively awesome, but who knows how good he could have been.

10. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    Yes it is his life to do with as he wishes. If he is happy in Cali, making good money in a good climate, near his family, good for him. You know what, that situation sounds familiar to me. Oh yeah, that is the case for just about every Mexican player, only they are making better money, in a better climate, near their families, with great food, and a low cost of living. I hope those of you who side with Donovan happiness (as I do) are not the same people who bring up a lack of Mexicans in Europe as a insult to them.

11. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would I love to see Donovan linking up with a big club in Europe and playing Champions League football against the best in the world? Of course I would - who here wouldn't. But to agree with the Donovan apologists out there, it's most definitely his life to live and he's doing pretty okay here in many aspects. It's not like he has a bad life already...most of us sitting in front of our computers here would jump at the chance to be in Donovan's shoes, right here in the US of A.

Maybe there's another way of looking at him wanting to stay. He believes in MLS and he believes in the development of OUR football/soccer. Maybe he thinks that one day, ten or fifteen years from now, MLS will be a thriving league, with international interest, top quality players, a destination where big name Europeans and South Americans want to come play. Perhaps he wants to be a part of that transformation and would love to have his name etched into the league's history by having played an enormous part in its development. Maybe he wants to someday be a legend in his own country, or more importantly, the driving figure behind it's renaissance. If it does reach those lofty heights, then he will be like the Michael Jordan of MLS history.

Okay, so maybe that's all a bit too rosy and stuff, but I thought a little over-embellishment might be good around here. The point is and remains that the man should live his life where he chooses to no matter what. If he finds his bliss contributing to the sport on more than one level here, then let him know that we'll leave the light on for him.

12. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    From that "article" there is only one quote from Donovan:

"It (the relocation rumors) throws a wrench in things," said Donovan to the San Jose Mercury News. "There are a lot of guys here I like playing with. I like playing for Dom(inic Kinnear, the team's head coach)."

As StillKickin already pointed out it left out most of the info. from the original article in the Monterey Herald.

13. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean this with all respect: I think there is a difference in opinion here. I look more at how well LD is performing on the international level than he is at the MLS level--for I feel it is a better judging stick. Yes he had a great match the last time the USMNT played Mexico, but for many of the USMNT matches since the World Cup, he hasn't broke out the way many people would have thought he should have. He can produce some brilliant play, but then 'disappear' for long strecthes of a match. I love LD's skills on the ball, his speed, his great vision and passing ability. But when players are surrounded by a better supporting cast, their skills are more properly manifested and even improved. Look at DmB as an example (even though it's early into his PSV career): a lot of people felt like he wasn't having a good year at all in MLS; then he goes to PSV and is surrounded by better players than he was on Chicago (no offense) and he looks like a reborn player. Granted, he's always had those skills, but now he's in an environment where he can more fully display them and improve on them.

In a similar way, I feel that Donovan's game would likely be better manifested in an environment where he is surrounded by better players.

I hope that it was noticed that I did say that he has other important issues and priorities in his life to consider besides soccer. And I am aware of this after reading his comments in a recent chat he participated in on ESPN.com. And I did say that each person is different, implying that he has to make his own decisions based on his own desires and motivations.

14. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess we also have a difference of opinion here. Landon's done extremely well with the MNT since the World Cup. Let's see, leading scorer last year (say what you will about it was "only" Cuba - I didn't see anyone else lighting up the goal). This year in World Cup Qualifying, say what you will about Beasley (yes, very exciting to watch), but who is the player who CONSISTENTLY delivers - has points in ALL 3 WCQ games? Yes, it's Landon. He gets not only goals, but he gets assists; plus it's well known he delivers in the clutch, of the last-minute variety.

I hear this "he disappears" stuff and it just makes me shake my head. Granted, not all of his games are of the exciting, awe-inspiring US vs. Mexico performance he put on (which has been described by some as the best performance of a National Team player ever or at least in recent memory). But I also think it's unfair to expect that kind of performance all the time. Even Zinadine Zidane doesn't do it all the time. Donovan has been a consistently solid player since World Cup. The "disappearing" act, if you want to call it that, seems to occur when he's placed at forward and the midfield/service "disappears" long before Landon does - and yet he still seems to come through and do something (either a goal or an assist or an assist of an assist).

And please, let's not compare Landon's play in MLS to Beasley - because there is no comparison. None at all. Landon has had such responsibility heaped on him at San Jose that Beas never had to contend with. And Landon rose to the occasion - 2 championships, team MVP, MLS Cup MVP;most dangerous man in MLS playoffs, both assists and goals.

I understand that you're basically agreeing that it's Landon's life, etc., but you're argument that his play has stagnated or leveled off just doesn't hold it for me, not on the international level nor on the MLS level.

15. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Which drug dealer owns Club Cali now and can LD do some smuggling to subsidize a stadium in SJ?

16. footiegrrrl

footiegrrrl New Member

May 22, 2002
    Ohio
    Ok, I understood that LD was miserable in Germany at 17. I understood he wanted to come back to the US, get play time, and show what he could do. I understood when he wanted to stay here another 2 years after the WC when Germany wanted him back in order to up the profile of soccer in the USA. I even understand now that he loves California and has a girlfriend and family there.
    However, if that wanker goes to the Galaxy or Chivas, I will NEVER understand that. It's one thing to want to stay in America (though I don't agree...it's time to go to the EPL or Bund IMO), but it's quite another to go from kicking LA SS and/or talkiing smack in the press, to being a Ruiz strike partner up top. And it makes me woozy to think of him putting on Chivas colors.
    I know he will do well if he lands on either one of these teams, but as a San Jose fan, I just don't know if I can stomach it. Totally irrational I know, but true. Stay in the US if you must Landon, but for the love of all that is Holy, don't be spoiled, go to Texas and be the "core" of the Quakes when they need you most.

17. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bringing this back to what this means for the US team...

Fortunately, our national team success does not hinge on just one player. Donovan is one of our best players, and should be in the starting 11 everytime.

There are plenty more US players either going abroad or who are already there. They will have varying degrees of success. For players like Beasley and Mathis -- who wanted to go -- it was the right move. For players like Donovan and Pope -- who didn't want to go -- staying was the right move. And then for players like Gibbs, coming back to MLS was the right move.

It's all about a player finding their niche while still improving. And claiming that the answer is always abroad underestimates MLS.

18. Jonez

Jonez New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Boston
    Just 2 things:

1) I'd rather live in California than Texas too. In the US, soccer is a summer sport. Texas in summer sucks.

2) I keep hearing that Donovan should "go to Europe." That is kind of vague. If Donovan could land on a good team that plays the right style and he could get a lot of playing time against good competition, that would be great for both him and the USMNT. I honestly have not seen enough of German club soccer to know if this is the case.

Does Donovan speak German? Maybe he'd be more willing to play outside the MLS if his contract was baught by a team in the EPL or the Spanish Primera (where he speaks the language)?

19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's his life. So the important goals are his, not ours. He's not our slave.

EDIT: Often, I'm one of the few voicing this argument. It's nice to see that the weight of this thread doesn't believe Donovan is our slave.

20. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    heyheyHEY! There's NO room for sound reasoning here. THey call this place BS for a reason. Keep the logic in check. Please. It's for the kids. ;)

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, this is how we insult Mexicans.

[​IMG]

22. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

was it that he had better players around him or was it that he got a wake up call and realized he couldn't coast anymore? it's all a matter of perspective. You could make the case that if the fire traded him to the dallas burn, he would've picked up his game there too because he would have something to prove. just like at psv ... he has something to prove.

and that's exactly what often makes him dangerous. a team could have him contained, forget about him -- but all he needs is one touch to turn a game around. it takes a special player to do that. ask chicago fans about MLS cup last year .... donovan made two good plays all game, scored two goals and was MLS cup MVP.
    wasn't it against venzuela in seattle last year that he came in as a sub and one of his first touches led to a brilliant sprint down the field for a spectacular goal?
    landon's not the sort of player that will dominate the ball, but he makes excellent use of his touches. he's a passer, not a dribbler. another good example, jamaica. his poise was the reason we won that game. also, his patience on the ball that led to beasley's second(?) goal against Grenada. he could've fed the ball to Jovan, but waited, saw DMB's run and gave it to him. He's had some brilliant plays that have won us many games. Not sure what else you want the kid to do.

23. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    At 16, he was considered by some to be the best in a youth tournament that took place over 2 weeks.

24. thehands1616

thehands1616 New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    little island
    i think he is happy so le him stay

also some people here are hypocrites they called for jovans head because he stayed in europe for so long and didnt play in mls but they all want donovan to turn his back on the league and leave it just doesnt make any sense...

25. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting a little pissy here aren't we.

Try reading this first

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=308188&cc=5901