Donovan: Bayern Munich vs Hertha Berlin 2/14 8:30 AM CST

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by tsaldana3, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Hendrik

Hendrik Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Deutschland
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He was considered one of the young and up and coming goalies in Germany. Promising him the No.1 spot after Kahn's retirement was the only way he was willing to warm the bench in the last 4 years.

Unfortunately Lell is an even bigger joke.

2. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not possible the way Bayern are playing.

3. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a good way of putting it. The last two games have been played fairly effectively against BM. The opposition retracts into their defending third and lets BM muddle around taking poor quality chances, with absolutely no creativity. Sure, there will be a goal or two, but the opposition seems to be able to capitalize fairly easily against BM just using counterattacks.

From LD's perspective, this must really be depressing. I don't think he went to BM to be a target forward or garbage goal collector. Where is the team dynamism and fluidity? I said after the last game that I hoped Klinsmann had learned something. Given the low speed clutter shown by the Bayern attack, he should be playing LD as an attacking mid to put some speed, energy and creativity into it.

4. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    This deserves repeating. If he fails, so be it, but go out swinging LD!

5. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    OK, I watched the game and I am calling BS on this. Ribery and Schweini looked like they were sleep walking. They played like they had smoked the bong before the game. You are using them as examples to criticize Landon? Dude, you are not telling the truth.

6. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ribery looked a bit off, but he was still running at people and trying to make things happen.
    Schwein, IMO, was the most influential Bmunchian on the field.
    It doesn't matter if Donovan has all kinds of game, he has to impose that during a match, insist that he's the best player out there, to make a difference. If not, there are lots of folks with great game. He'll be okay, intriguing, no more.

7. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just watched the game and was expecting a horror show but there just wasn't...He did OK, it wasn't his best game but he did just have an emotional game and played a full 90 in a real qualifier. Not a pansy friendly. Given the circumstances I think he did good.

He almost scored twice and the only complaint I would have as a supporter is you have to finish that 1v. 1 chance. You can't let that chance slip by, I think he was a bit too cheeky. Yes the ball was mishit, he scuffed it a bit. Too much in a hurry?

I really think if/when Landon settles in he will be very effective for Bayern Munich if they just have a little patience with him. Too bad he only has laike 2 games left to impress...

8. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The trick is, though, he's got to find the balance. He's not the best player out there and if he plays like he thinks he is - THAT will be a quick trip to the bench and back to LA. Right now they're probably glad to have him, he's just not made a case that he's worth splashing out cash. He just needs to bring those couple of moments each game where he makes a play that makes a difference, recognizing the opportunity and seizing it.

9. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The travel/mexico match are fair points. And while teams like Bmunch aren't known for great patience, they just buy someone who is ready to be a star, he has shown glimpses.
    Apparently this doesn't really matter for right now, however, as LA isn't planning on selling.

10. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    as commented on by Blustar, your post above was pretty misleading concerning the game.

11. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Uhm, we both used the same phrase to describe him, okay. Beyond that, I chose to focus on a negative that I believe i've seen in him before, that I think will cost him at a club this size.
    I don't think I'm being misleading, but may be posting an opinion at odds with others.

12. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Donovan has proven he can play in the league. Given time, I think he can excel. Unfortunately, time is what he doesn't have. He needs to come up with a few special moments during his remaining time to convince FCB to make a legit offer that MLS might consider.

Some of this, I think, will also depend on what kind of injury Luca Toni has. Klinsi says he wants 4 strikers. Right now he has 4 - counting Poldi. If Luca is down and out and LD is not signed - then they're down to 2 to finish out the season. Unless I'm probably missing some reserve player or something.

13. zanderbz

zanderbz Member

May 12, 2005
    United States
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He needs to do more in the time that is left to show that he can help them win games. He is not playing poorly and certainly has what it takes, we all know it.

The problem is that he has limited time to prove it. I'll be cheering until it goes one way or the other.

More power to him for making the attempt, hopefully the best is yet to come.

I would love to see what he could do at a club like Everton with fewer huge egos on the field.

Edited to note that Bayern was not impressive in any way in this match, they looked out of synch as a team.

14. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so by all accounts LD has played well - not great - not poor. But none of the BM stars - Ribery, Klose, Schwein etc. played well. And now to top it off old man Toni is injured. Unless I am missing something and Hoeness and Klinsman are on the opposite page - they need LD as a striker? Is there another one of the market - particularly given Podolski's situation? I mean Hoeness has the money - question is whether they will spend it?

Let's be serious - with the Ribery (Real Madrid bound?) and Donovan speed - they should be able to rip opponent teams apart .....

I think Klinsman is the key here .... he has to support LD (that is his project) and tell him to force his play in the match ... perhaps he gets Donovan some hypnosis therapy that causes the opposing defenses to look like Mexico.

I don't think Donovan is at risk here - their free fall is not due to him ... it is due to a poor defense and goalkeeping. Klinsman is the one at risk right now.

15. kjksccr

kjksccr Member

Feb 25, 1999
    San Carlos, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, lots of guys saw a different LD than I did. This is a striker at a top club. You don't get credit for "nice" touches when you should have scored twice. Maybe that is okay for an established player but not for a guy trying to break into the team. I hope he makes it at Bayern but this game he was on for a good part of the match and failed to take his chances. While he came back on defense once or twice it was usually after he coughed up the ball and it was no more than his teammates did. Moreover, that lack of bite to his game is so obvious. Every other Bayern player, even those playing poorly, put themselves into tackles and really fight for the ball. Say what you want about Ribery but he has 2-3 guys occupied and fights like hell for the ball. Same for Klose, he worked his ass off first half chasing balls while LD does his typical jogging pressure (i.e. none).

I still rate it a 3-4 performance.

The only qualification is that I do think he might be better off on a team with less stars given his style. It is noteworthy that he has linked up better with Borowski than Klose or Ribery.

An interesting qoute from Klinsmann:

16. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    I agree with MSchofield and the more optimistic posters (e.g., BluStar). I think LD looked just fine and worked well within the team.

Nonetheless, whether he was "hiding" or looking for space when Hertha were socking it in, Bayern will only buy if he makes them a substantially better team because that's what teams like BM do. If he only "fits in" and doesn't make anything worse, that's no up to Bayern's snuff.

The other aspect on this is that Bayern isn't leading the league right now, which is their usual standard. Whether LD has anything to do with it, his presence during a bad run of form will be looked on negatively. He needs to help right the ship quickly, or risk being associated with losing.

This reminds me of Onyewu's time at Newcastle -- he actually wasn't too bad or anything, but he was there when they were in their standard terrible patch. Since he wasn't part of the solution, he was part of the problem.

17. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    you get the feeling that Klinsie feels he can 'correct' Donovan's game.

A lifetime of pampering really doesnt prepare you for the big time. It will take 6 months and a series of hard knocks to put LD in a position to just start learning how to succeed under adverse circumstances.

Him going back to MLS is bad for all parties involved. I hope it doesnt come to that.

18. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    to be fair to MLS, it is a loan, and loan players return. Course, to us it's really more of a tryout, and it seems it is from LD's perspective.
    But even the much loved Klinsi doesn't get that much time for players to prove themselves.

19. DaMa

DaMa Member

Jun 17, 2002
    New York
    I won't get into the merits of his overall game. I think most people have the general sense right... he was okay, not great. I will say, take a second to pause and think of how different this thread would look if the keeper doesn't get a hand to Donovan's header (which looked very similar to the one he scored on in the exhibitions).

One assumes that of all people, Klinsi recognizes this fact.

I will also point out, I believe that in the last two matches, neither of which have been stellar for Landon, the team has done better offensively with him in than not.

20. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I sometimes think americans grow up inside a disney movie or play on those teams where there are no winners.

Guy is playing for BM.

BM doesnt lose two straight or two out of 3.

Klinsies job is hanging by a thread. If he goes, LD is holding the door open for him.

He has two games to make the cut.

If Toni cant go against the Koelsch, it will be interesting to see whom klinsie starts: the dreaded prince podolski or his golden boy wonder donovan.

21. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    This is true, but the HUGE difference being that Donovan will cost $10m or more to pry from MLS, whereas Gooch could have been had for 1/2 to 1/3 of that...big difference.

22. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    It'll be unfortunate if he doesn't make it, but I don't think that would spell the end of Donovan's Europe ambitions. He could still probably get a chance somewhere else even if he has to go back to MLS for the immediate future. I'd just as soon see him start for a mid-tier Premiership team than be a bench option on an elite club.

23. Dogmatagram

Dogmatagram Member

Jun 3, 2006
    The problem, as I see it, is that Donovan simply will NOT force himself into the game, etc. He won't even do it for the USMNT, when he is the best player on the team. He realizes he needs to -- e.g., he regrets his style of play in the Ghana match. And he says the right things. But he still disappears. It would be one thing if he were to demand the ball and embark on hopeful runs, only to fail. But he doesn't even do that. Instead, he lets the game pass him by, even when his team needs him to try to take over.

Sorry but I don't see him doing that for Munich. Maybe skilled passivity is enough to keep in the starting lineup. Unfortunately, I think we'll have to see.

Two other, related points:

1) This same problem will, in my opinion, prove immensely frustrating at the Confeds Cup and WC 2010: i.e., we will need LD to try, at least, to take over. And he won't. And we will lose.

2) Freddy Adu would try to take over. He might not succeed, or he might indirectly cause our defense to give up a goal. But he would try to take over, unlike Donovan. Others on the team have that mentality as well, but all of the other forwards require service and we have no other attackers with the requisite skill.

24. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Depends on the opponent, of course.

Bayern's two recent losses have been on the road to Hertha Berlin and Hamburger SV, both of whom are now ahead of them in the standings. Hertha has one home loss so far this season (in eleven league games); HSV has zero losses in ten home games.

It's not at all surprising that Bayern would drop both -with or without Donovan, Ribery, Toni, or whoever else.

25. kjksccr

kjksccr Member

Feb 25, 1999
    San Carlos, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting contrast watching the Milan derby today. Pato, very similar player to LD physically, imposed himself on that game when AC was struggling. He was suddenly popping up in midfield to receive the ball and sparking attacks at the Inter goal. Yes, I know he is a Brazilian international but LD is capable of doing a lot of the things he does. I just don't think our system forces players to become mentally as tough as young players growing up in more intense and competitive environments. Just way more active and involved. Watch the BM game and you will notice LD usually drifts out to the right while they are driving at goal. Get in a channel and demand the damn ball.