Donovan:Bayern Munich vs FC Koln 2/21 8:30 am CST

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by tsaldana3, Feb 21, 2009.

1. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Repped indeed.

Honore, do you speak/write German? Perhaps a letter to the editor of Kicker is in order. :)

2. Swami

Swami Member

Mar 5, 2005

Addressing extreme posters is a waste of time. They need to be ignored as they are not representative of the majority of posters. Speaking to their silly points derails the entire discussion...all too often on any thread.

There was some goofball cheerleader who claimed Donovan was better than Toni. What is the point of addressing someone like that? Most American fans are not that retarded and have had a fairly realistic perspective of his performance and ability. Most don't believe that he has demonstrated a $10mm transfer is worthwhile at this point. At the same time, most believe it would be unfair to say that he "failed" or can't play at this level.

3. Spry

Spry Member

Apr 25, 2006
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Put him out on the wing and then see what happens. For as long as I've been watching Landon Donovan, I can honestly say no one has ever considered him a target striker. He beats defenders with his speed not his body. Asking him to do the latter is nothing more than ignoring his best asset. If Bayern continue to deploy the same strategy moving forward, there will certainly be no room for Donovan. He just doesn't fit well into that type of game, especially as a poacher, or one who's supposed to hold up 6'5' defenders with the ball. Landon ought to thank Klinsi and Bayern for the opportunity, shake hands, and be on his way. Bayern is too big for an american footballer in this day and age anyway.

4. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Terrible? While this result is being played up like a disaster, I didn't see many terrible performances. I saw players who had key "bad moments" but Donovan wasn't one of them.

I'd put Donovan on the positive side of a Bayern team that was simultaneously
    ...nervous and over-confident
    ...not playing at full strength
    ...screwed-over for a goal
    ...dropped their energy when they gave up a goal
    ....lacked a commanding midfielder or two to keep them in charge of the game
    ...nevertheless owned the ball
    ...and in the end choked up against a plucky Cologne putting in the highlight performance of their entire season. Soccer's like that.

5. dub77

dub77 New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    in denial
    I've only just started watching Bayern since Donovan started his loan so can anyone tell me if they've been playing like this all season or is this just something that started after the winter break? It's not like they have been terrible just unlucky and in part individually inconsistent.

6. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They came on strong at the end of the fall semester. They scored bundles in friendlies during the break, but also gave up a number of shoddy goals. One comment by someone in the Bayern hierarchy was, in effect, forget the goals against us; Bayern will outscore any opponent. Well, the attack after the break has spluttered to a virtual halt, while the defense has continued to show extreme porosity. There is a distinct lack of midfield regulatory control in the Bayern games.

7. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Bmunch, i hate to admit, was one of the most exciting teams on the planet this autumn. Last year, as well.
    they're noticeably off right now.

8. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    nobody is going to give toni anywhere near the money he makes with bayern.

and he has another two years on that contract. i'm pretty sure he won't give up on that.

the same thing goes for klose,and there really is no reason to sell him from bayern's point of view.

9. Digs

Digs Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Ummm...what?

You basically just said they are way overpaid but there's no reason for bayern to want to part ways. That don't make no sense.

10. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    klinsman or the next bayern coach might want to sell toni, but he most likely won't be able to. they can't sell him if he doesn't want to go. and i think its highly unlikely that he will want to leave because that would mean a much lower salary.

i don't think anyone would want to sell klose, he's still value for money.

11. DempC

DempC Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Klinsman will be lucky to keep his job at the going rate.

Donovan's not staying guys.

Time to accept it.

12. humin12

humin12 Member+

Sep 20, 2008
    Ferguson, Missouri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsmann already did that and he looked like as if he was strolling around the pitch just coming to terms with the fact that there was a match going on.
    in other words, he isolated himself way too much and couldn't think of taking on someone the size of Marcell jansen

13. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    it's pretty ironic that donovan will only be remembered as the player who came in during BM's worst slide in two decades or however low they end up.

Klinsie is a national team coach. He sets the tone, manages the big matches, allows his team to be brave. The club team gig is a grind with player negotiations, day-to-day management, etc.

14. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And considering we only have one real example of him as a national team coach, playing in a tournament held at home, it's hard to tell how good he even is at that.

15. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia

he certainly sees him self as a full time club coach. Whether Bayern was the right choice for his first job is of course questionable.