News: Donald Trump goes on a twitter rant against Megan Rapinoe

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by McSkillz, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    Bigotry in the name of religion is still bigotry.

BigJbaz, jackiesdad, blissett and 2 others repped this.
  2. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always try and stay out of the Hinkle debates on here because they go on and on for eternity once they get started. I'm chiming in because a good point was made and I agree with it though.

If she wants to be conservative and believe that God will punish those that aren't in a traditional heterosexual marriage, then she has a right to believe that. However, there are consequences to believing something that is discriminatory towards a whole entire population of people that identify as LGBTQAI. Yes it's discriminatory to believe that a whole community will go to hell.

Just like it was wrong when people, who grew up and were raised in the antebellum south during the brink of Civil War believed slavery to be totally fine and okay since that's how they were raised, and that was the belief that was shared. Did they have a right to have that belief? Sure! Did they think they were hateful? No I bet you they thought of themselves as really good and nice. But consequences...... and yes, there were consequences to holding down that belief.

So Hinkle refused to wear a kit with rainbow lettering, she has a right to refuse. Nobody is going to arrest her or send her to jail for it. But because we as a society right now are more accepting of the LGBTQAI community now, there are going to be consequences to her actions. They gave her one look afterwards and that was that. If you put on that USA jersey, you are representing a whole nation of people, you're not representing your nation if you think like 60-70 percent of the whole population is going to hell for their same-sex marriage. That's my take on it...

kaged27, blissett and Bob Lamm repped this.
  3. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Hi @Timon19. Good to see you again. Happy to help.

This isn't about violating the Establishment Clause, it's actually the opposite.

Religious organizations and politicians are weaponizing the 1st Amendment. They are using "free speech" as the backbone of discrimination.
    i.e - "Exercising my religious belief is more important than your civil rights."

Why are you talking about some of these other Amendments? What does Unreasonable Search warrants have to do with this?

JanBalk, blissett and Bob Lamm repped this.
  4. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    You keep intimating that Hinkle is violating civil rights. I seek to clarify which ones.

Until a court decision comes down that states "you may exercise your 1st Amendment rights unless we find you sufficiently icky, then you can't", you're stuck with people saying unpopular and/or bigoted things. Unless and until an action is taken to deny another person their rights under the Constitution, we're just talking about assholery. Which is still legal.

Ideally, Hinkle's religion (composed of assholes in one aspect, IMO) can say and practice how they like unless and until another right comes into conflict. They can exclude the gays from their shitty little club, and everyone else can tell them they're assholes (and preferably why they are). No one's rights are being violated.

Bigotry is not illegal. There's a reason for that. Several, in fact.

I suggest spending your energy on convincing others why their bigotry is bad.

CoachJon repped this.
  5. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    Wow, Timon, I just don't know how I'd have gotten through my day without your suggestion as to what I should do with my time and energy. But perhaps YOU could follow your own suggestion and spend your energy convincing others why sexism, homophobia, and other bigoted poisons are bad. I don't see you doing that in your many comments here.

blissett and BrooklynSoccer repped this.
  6. LevskiSofia

LevskiSofia Member

Nov 19, 2008
    US is not better than everyone else. The soon you realize it the better. By "you" I mean all USWNT fans.

7. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    #108 BrooklynSoccer, Jun 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    Ok, so it seems like you are incapable of retaining or understanding what people have previously written. Or you refuse to.

People here are also talking about political theory and ideas. Not everything is directly about HINKLE, this isn't even a Hinkle thread.

For the 3rd time, Hinkle is not violating any civil rights herself. That's not what we are talking about, nobody is arguing that.

However, Hinkle is a strong advocate for the restriction of civil rights of LGBT people in the name of her religion.

And like I said - Bigots (or anti-black, anti-jewish, etc.) are routinely disciplined for speaking out publicly against equality, or routinely saying racist statements, or in this case, speaking against the equality of their teammates.

Bob Lamm and McSkillz repped this.
  8. kumuyc

kumuyc Member

Nov 7, 2016
  9. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Why do I need to join the chorus? You seem to have it covered. I'm covering an aspect of this that seems to be full of fundamental misunderstanding.

10. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    No, but stubbornly, she keeps coming up. Or the situation between her and the USWNT, anyway.

Thank you for clearing that up. It would be great if you stuck to that and stopped intimating otherwise.

This is true. And unless and until she or her religion acts on those positions, they're merely bigots.

You are correct. So stop intimating that it's more than that.

kumuyc repped this.
  11. LevskiSofia

LevskiSofia Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Не надо так говорить! А и никто Вас не поймет если пишете на крилицу.

12. Runhard

Runhard Member+

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 5, 2018

The US is #1 in the World so they are better than everyone else right now. Today they will prove it again.

13. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Great articles, both spot on, and they heighten my esteem of Megan Rapinoe.

Unluckily, by even just looking at some comments here on this very thread, it looks like the clown in chief reached his primary target of giving validation to some points of view that shouldn't be accepted in a democratic society, of starting off poisonous discussions and of generally distracting people.

I wonder if he will also obtain his obvious secondary target of destabilizing the team and trying to cooperate to its elimination from the World Cup by corrupting the general atmosphere around it (although I actually hope that the players won't care too much about his desperate attention-seeking move).

It's not a secret that I don't root for USA and that I would want France to win tonight, but a part of me cringes at the notion that this would make Trump revel in delight.

orcrist, McSkillz and Bob Lamm repped this.
  14. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    Looks like Timon doesn't want to follow Timon's own suggestion and speak out against sexism, homophobia, and other bigoted poisons. What a surprise. :)

15. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    How very cheap of you.

16. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
  17. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Ok, my two cents. Rapinoe is barely hanging on now and this is most likely her final major tournament. Her level of play has greatly slipped just as her speed has. I have greatly appreciated Pino over the years as a player and dont really care about her sexual preferences. I watch the team to see a soccer game and not political statements. However, her political stands and comments on the White House has given the team a bad name and she is basically a distraction at this point. A sporting event, where you are representing your country, is not the time or place to make some kind of statement. Do it on your own time if you want, I dont care. But I am personally insulted when the cameras pans to her and she is the ONLY one not crossing her heart. I totally expect that to happen again today ....... if she even starts.

So now we have a fading star that is disruptive and is generating a lot of negative news coverage for the team. I really hope Ellis puts her on the bench today. Her performance against Spain should be enough to do that. Her pathetic comments about the White House visit should put the icing on that cake. I truly hope her teammates dont support her and that she stands alone over this. Finally, after this tournament, I hope to see her to fade into the sunset and become a memory

LevskiSofia repped this.
  18. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Read my mind. Similar situation to Hope Solo to be honest. Rapinoe is just much more clever and less psychotic is her ways.

19. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Are you similarly put out when Jozy doesn't "cross his heart"?

20. meyers

meyers Member

Jun 11, 2003
    W. Mass
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if you want to compare pigs as to which one is wallowing more in the mud. Go for it. They're both pigs, wallowing in the mud.

21. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Fighting for equal pay and equal rights is not wallowing in the mud.

22. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Yeah... sure. It should be required. Maybe hes just smarter and keeps his feelings to himself?

23. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    No, there should not be requirements or laws on where one's hand is during the anthem.

That is some seriously Un-American, Fascist talk.

orcrist, lil_one, kaged27 and 4 others repped this.
  24. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I take that as a "no".