Domestic players

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by DANNO49, Nov 29, 2014.

1. DANNO49

DANNO49 Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Hawthorne CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe we should think about having domestic players.by that I mean porters we're been trained or play the United States say in college for lease two years or high school were not citizens and I don't have Green cards could play here and not count as a foreign player against the foreign player cap. They would be domestic players.this would also count if like some of the European clubs that have academies in foreign countries and as The English FA you say if they develop the player they are counted as a domestic and don't count against their foreign player restrictions

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its possible but its tricky. It has to be based on their qualifications of being trained here in the U.S. and not by where they're from (all Caribbean players or something). I'm not sure MLS wants to venture into that territory and deal with the legal issues.

3. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Unless I'm misunderstanding, I think it would be better for for teams to help push for green cards and citizenship at an early age for these players. It would be better for the "employees" if handled this way. The commitment from the team should be to the human being as a whole, not just to what a player does on the field.

4. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd offer my opinion, but I'm still trying to translate the first post.

xtomx and bunge repped this.
  5. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I'm saying is that if I'm an Estonian citizen and I'm denied a job in MLS because you're giving it to someone from the British Virgin Islands because he had access to go to an Academy in Miami and I didn't, I'd sue. I'm not sure that I'd win, but I'd still file.

Also, doesn't FIFA have a rule about bringing in foreign talent to academies? Like, I thought you had to be a certain age.

6. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd think almost every non-citizen in the MLS academies has a green card, so it's really a non-issue.