Does the Mexican National Team play too many of its games in the US?

Discussion in 'Mexico' started by Levante, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    The Mexican National Team is making good money by playing their games here, but do you guys think that they are playing too many of their games here? Do you think that they're cheating Mexican citizens in Mexico by playing here. When was the last time the Mexican team played in Morelia (against Bulgaria) in Monterrey (against Ecuador?) or someplace else like Torreon where those people are dying to see the national team.

What do you guys think?

azulcremaporvida repped this.
  2. Megatron

Megatron New Member

Jul 4, 2002
    Chicago
    I agree,maybe they should play in more places in Mexico rather than keep on coming here so regularly, I mean when El Tri has come here to play I've gone to see them but I often wonder that myself.I mean if I lived in Mexico I would feel slighted,because the team plays several games here rather than over there.But then again the almighty dollar is involved.

3. michael greene

Oct 31, 2002
    If I may post as a US fan, I wish you would play every one of your games in Mexico :)

4. El_Maestro

El_Maestro Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Planet Earth
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Yes, because this is a plot of the Mexican Federation to take over American soccer and destroy MLS by having latino fans attend Mexico's games intead of USA's. What they want is to have is pro Mexican crowds in WC qualifiers to take over USA's rightful place as the leader in Concacaf after its historical performance in Korea/Japan. And maybe this goes beyond that, probably the Mexicans want to recover California, Texas and all of the Southwest, yes, that's it. :rolleyes:

5. Aguilas Del America

Oct 28, 2002
    Nido de Coapa
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36564

6. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    The last time they played in Monterrey was in the Meza era, when they beat Chile 1-0 eventhough Chile was crap and had 9 men on the field most of the game.

I do think that they should play some games in San Luis Potosi or some other stadium where they haven't played in a while.

7. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    We can always have them play in Anchorage ....

8. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    Yes. I agree...Torreon , San Luis Potosi, and maybe in the future Aguascalientes.

9. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I am sure the US Fed is scouting this for the next US-Mex WCQ game.After Columbus on a Feb night, what is the logical next step?

10. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    Ultimately playing many games in the US will backfire. Mexicans living in Mexico will most definitely feel slighted. Anytime you follow the almighty dollar, you will eventually pay the pied piper. Anyway, Mexicans living in the US will tire of seeing meaningless matches in the US when part of the proceeds will benefit the USSF. Like anything else too much of a good thing is never good, except for beer and women.

11. NacionalTJ

NacionalTJ New Member

Mar 13, 2001
    Tijuana, Baja Califo
    Just wait till we have our stadium here in TJ. The FMF wants dollars and dollars they shall get if they play in Tijuana. That plus cheaper travel and hotel expenses, and profits staying in Mexico will make TJ an atractive location for TRI games.

12. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    can I ask you guys something...

I understand Colombus Stadium is your Mecca... and rightly so... first SSS in the US.

But what happens if the game is held in June or the summer time? You guys kept on saying that Columbus was perfect in the winter because Mexicans cant play in the cold (which is not true)...but just for the sake of arguement...lets say they cant... and the WCQ is held in the summer time???

And lets assume that the USSF get introuble due to thier ticketing policy and has open sales???

Whats next after Columbus?? :D

13. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    What is next after Columbus.......good question. Maybe Canada.

14. Heródoto

Heródoto New Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Guanajuato, México
    since there are more or less 30 millions of mexicans living in the states, it makes sense. besides they are just friendly matches not official ones, ergo I couldn't care less where are held most of those matches. Would be nice to see squads like Argentina in México though

15. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    If you want a pro US crowd, have a double header... get two teams from Central America (FAS v Olimpia) and the US game agisbt Mexico as the follow up... you are guarenteed to have a pro US crowd. Id say that 9 out of 10 of them would cheer against Mexico :D

16. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    Hugo Sanchez point of view...

Good read on the topic:

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=reu-sanchez_sports_feature&prov=reuters&type=lgns

Here are a few of his comments from the article

...Sanchez said that, if he was coach, he would stop Mexico playing home friendlies in the United States, a practice he said was economically motivated and put the physical health of the Mexican players at risk....

"All the matches played there are, by (contractual) obligation, refereed by officials from the United States and the United States referees are not good." ..."They are at a lower level and they allow a lot of violent tackles"...

17. Stinkey Turner

Dec 15, 2000
    Re: Hugo Sanchez point of view...

No,no, sorry, you translated it incorrectly...it should be..
    "They are at a lower level and they commit a lot of violent tackles". ;)

18. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You may have noticed that the attacking on American refs has increased dramatically since the WC loss by Mexico. Not being able to attack the players as easily left them no choice.
    Of course when I see a badly done game by a Mexican ref, and it, of course happens, they don't attack all Mexican refs saying they are not ready for a high level as they do with American refs.
    Just an easy target.

19. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    Re: Re: Hugo Sanchez point of view...

Stinky,

If you liked that Hugo Sanchez quote, you will love this one:

"The competition around Mexico is of a very low level.... Unfortunately, to play against the United States, against Canada, against Haiti, against El Salvador or against Guatemala doesn't help us get better."...

20. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Hugo Sanchez point of view...

Did he forget Mexico has lost 6 of the last 7 against the US?
    That's funny.

21. michael greene

Oct 31, 2002
    If San Antonio and Phoenix are at all representative of the Southwest, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take it all back!!!!!

Stop at San Fran, if you could though. That's a nice town, but you can have the rest of California, all of Utah, Colorado, Nevada, Texas, Arizona and New Mexico back. I'll toss in Florida too.

Come to think of it, that might be the best way for MLS to get some soccer only stadiums in those areas :).

22. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    What is Mexico's record in games in which it was below 30 degrees F?

23. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002

It was 4 of the last 5 if you take out the Tri-pumas.

24. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    I guess the phrase, "Mexico: the Tampa Bay of FIFA" won't cut it anymore. Wonder if Brad Johnson has any Mexican lineage?

25. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't AEG promoting the Mexican national team tour?