does the AFL lack international ambition?

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by olckicker, Oct 7, 2004.

1. olckicker

olckicker Member

Jan 30, 2001
    In the sci fi show "Time Trax" aussie rules is more popular than gridiron in 22d century north america. But in 21st century earth the NFL is apparently more popular than the AFL ... or at least the NFL image is more recognizable to people worldwide. Part of this recognition may be due to the increased popularity of the Madden video game. Does EA even make an aussie rules game for australians? Since I'm u.s. based I could be wrong about all this because I know almost nothing about the AFL's plans to develop an international presence.

2. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Craig the Aussie

Craig the Aussie New Member

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Yes EA makes an Aussie Rules game. It's not too bad, although like the rugby games, it is hard to simulate such a 3 dimensional unstructured sport.

There is little real international ambition at the AFL level - apart from the odd exhibition game here and there and the Irish compromise series.

Having said that, there are a lot of hard working 'grassroots' people. Have a look at the "International" board at www.bigfooty.com

4. mcpish

mcpish New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    I hate to steal someone else's line on this, but I remember reading on one of these boards by someone else (sorry for not quoting your name whoever it was), that the AFL seems to like being "the big fish in the small pond". I think that comment really sums it up best.

It's weird though because as an Aussie Rules fan for about the past 2 years, I've been completely impressed by the clout, money, and infrastucture of the AFL in terms of their web presense (streaming games), fan attendance, and production values, etc. They really DO appear to me to be an NFL calibur style league in terms of these types of aesthetics. It amazes me they do not feel like exporting themselves a bit more and supporting Aussie Rules elsewhere. Here in Canada, I know that there is now an "AFL Canada", http://www.aflcanada.com. I'm not sure if it's affiliated with the real AFL or how much finantcial support they actually get, but if the AFL was serious, they could at least easily compete with the CFL (Canadian Football League).

5. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This code of football requires cricket ovals to play upon. It's true that there is no fixed size stipulation for the oval. But you don't get the same quality of play by creating a smaller oval inside a field meant for other football codes (Association, Rugby Union/League, American/Canadian, etc.) Are there many countries in the world with unused cricket ovals lying around?

6. westcoast929406

westcoast929406 New Member

Oct 10, 2003
    Perth Western Aust.
    They did but things may possibly be changing I/we hope. The AFL Development Manager himself and AFL Essendon Coach Kevin Sheedy are both travelling to Atlanta this weekend-9th and 10th- for the 8th US Aussie Rules Nat Champs.
    To my knowledge this is the first time bossman himself in that position has gone overseas for many years.

There is a write up on the Champs on the current front page at www.afl.com.au

If your in the vicinity of Atlanta go to the Atlanta Polo grounds and have a look.

7. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    IMHO, the AFL is actually more pro-active in attempting to grow the game than most sports. They give a lot of official support to USAFL and to the teams.

AFL is just a REALLY hard game to grow with. There's just not a lot of proper cricket ovals in the USA.

8. westcoast929406

Oct 10, 2003
    Perth Western Aust.
    The chief of the US Cricket League is currently looking for suitable venues around the country, Perhaps the USAFL board should be talking to him.

Currently A/Rules is played wherever they can find space in the US. They usually start at 9 a side on Soccer fields etc and adjust team sizes to wherever they are up from that.
    This has not stopped growing the sport, which is alive and well in the USA.

A big story just broken is that USAFL have signed a 3 yr deal with a US TV broadcast (Not Cable) network. More info at www.worldfootynews.com

9. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    TSN used to carry AFL games on a weekly basis. Doesn't help when there are no games on the air apart from FSWC (not avaliable to most people).

10. westcoast929406

Oct 10, 2003
    Perth Western Aust.
    Totally agree - It is very much currently a minority sport in the US and Canada though. A Canadian said to me once - Its the equivalent of Ice Hockey in Australia.
    Apparently FSW USA are going to Soccer only???. If they drop the sport what happens then.

11. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Say what? They're dropping rugby?!

12. westcoast929406

Oct 10, 2003
    Perth Western Aust.
    There is a thread on AFANA BBS on the topic of FSW USA going to change their format for 2005. Go to www.afana.com
    Some opinion on that thread says AFL A/Rules broadcast replays may be under threat - No mention of other non soccer sports, because AFANA is a A/Rules site only.

Getting back to title of thread -
    A delegation (IAFC) has met the AFL Commission (Who are over the AFL Executive) and international dev plans have been presented by that delegation to the commission. The plans were received in a positive light.

13. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Interesting. I admit I'm a little more concerned over the rugby. Then again, Fox Sports World has abandoned European rugby, so I have to admit if Southern Hemisphere rugby went off the air, I wouldn't give a crap.

It's a bit sad if the rugby coveragethat was absolutely first rate from 2001-2002 ends up falling off the airwaves completely. Then again I think FSW does a poor job with their rugby....

14. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just what exactly in the name of lord are you talking about?

This is far removed from the title of the thread, but:

For a channel that brought us most of RWC 2003 LIVE, heavy coverage of Super 12 (most of it LIVE), all of Tri Nations LIVE, most of June test matches (outside of Tri nations, involving Pacific Islanders, Argentina, England, Ireland, Wales) LIVE; sure the coverage has fallen off the airwaves completely.

:rolleyes:

Obligatory, to get the thread back on topic:

I think IAFC and AFL should really go after countries like New Zealand, South Africa, India, England, Jamaica, etc. to use their existing cricket ovals during winter months. In some of these countries (NZ, SA), Rugby Union is played in the cricket stadiums during winter. But I hope that some sort of ground-sharing between the Rugby code(s) and Australian Football could be worked out.

I'm somewhat surprised that Australian Football hasn't managed to get much foothold in the British Isles after so many years. I know there have been exhibition matches in England, after the end of season for the past few years. But outside of ex-pat Australians, hardly anyone else seems to care about them. When was the last time any AFL teams toured USA or Canada for such exhibition matches?

15. mcpish

mcpish New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    In Canada, We got EVERY SINGLE game of the Rugby World Cup 2003 LIVE, but not on FSW, but rather on another channel called "Rogers Sportsnet". I was surprised to see they actually put a little effort into the production too, with their own announcers and set.

16. westcoast929406

Oct 10, 2003
    Perth Western Aust.
    Posted originally by Chandu
    (I think IAFC and AFL should really go after countries like New Zealand, South Africa, India, England, Jamaica, etc. to use their existing cricket ovals during winter months. In some of these countries (NZ, SA), Rugby Union is played in the cricket stadiums during winter. But I hope that some sort of ground-sharing between the Rugby code(s) and Australian Football could be worked out.)

You are on the right track about sharing cricket ovals.
    But our game has not got enough clout (Player numbers) yet to set it up anywhere, plus our sport is played in Northern Hemisphere Summer when cricket is played at those ovals, and it has been made clear that A/Rules is nor welcome at present.
    Currently the major contact between Rugby U and A/Rules teams overseas is that they share club premises in some countries.
    Southern Hemisphere cricket countries winter ground sharing has not occurred yet, with Rugby and no immediate prospects FOR NOW.
    My tip is to watch SA and NZ in the future for this to happen.

The AFL Executive in mid year in a confusing change of policy has decided to officially concentrate on NZ, PNG and SA for some limited assistance.(Personally I think the USAFL will still be assisted due to the new domestic TV deal the USAFL just signed) But nobody really knows what will be the outcome. If you go to the AFL site and dig around you will find their updated/revised plan.

17. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    The 2003 World Cup was live? Uh, no it wasn't. It was on a 3 day delay. Compare to the 1995 World Cup, where most games were live on Prime Sports.

I could care less about Basketball rugby, I mean the Super 12.

In 2001-2002, you could see bucketloads of European Cup rugby, and the Six Nations. That's what I care about, not the Stupor 12.

18. westcoast929406

Oct 10, 2003
    Perth Western Aust.
    Posted by Chandu

(I'm somewhat surprised that Australian Football hasn't managed to get much foothold in the British Isles after so many years. I know there have been exhibition matches in England, after the end of season for the past few years. But outside of ex-pat Australians, hardly anyone else seems to care about them. When was the last time any AFL teams toured USA or Canada for such exhibition matches?)

The sport was introduced into England by expats in circa 1990 in the London area, and there it remained played mainly only by expats. About 2002 regional expansion comps were being set up due to increased inquiries about the game.
    There is now a local rule where 50% of each team must be EU origins players.
    This is slowly increasing local content. Probably about 200 players inc expats in England. A Scotland competition was started 2 years ago.
    But no money and limited sponsorships equals a tough market to grow in.
    The AFL season is on Sky pay TV each week but the BARFL appears not to be able get much leverage out of it so far.
    According to reports the International Rules series coming up in Ireland gets more attention in England.

The annual London exhibition game at The Oval is up till now IMO an AFL PR exercise for the expats. No game this year due to ground development but the AFL has recommitted until 2008 with the cricket authorities. Why would the AFL do that??. The game last year had 13,000 -90% were Australians.
    Any comments on this --

It has been many years since a Exhibition game was held in the USA.
    There may be one in January 2005 at the UCLA in LA in conjunction with the expanding Australia Week Festival. This will be a privately funded game if it goes ahead, and also needs AFL sanction.

19. PsychedelicCeltic

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    It's really an expat game. Pretty simple. I played AFL briefly for a club in the Bay Area, and I've been to the grand final parties. There's maybe a dozen other Americans out of about 500 people.