Does Kroenke Have To Sell Rapids By 2014?

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by USvsIRELAND, Apr 11, 2013.

1. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    So I was reading an interesting article about him today and I figured I would wikipedia him and I saw this:
    So does Kroenke have to give up majority control of the Rapids as well? I'm just curious.
    I assume he doesnt, and this article (the [6] above): http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5496516
    doesnt say he has to sell either. I just thought I would ask.

If he did sell the Rapids, he would obviously become STL's best hope at a potential MLS owner.

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, there's an exemption in the NFL ownership rules for soccer because back in the NASL days Lamar Hunt took the league to court and won so that he could own NFL and NASL teams.

22SteveD and COMtnGuy repped this.
  3. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who knows if he has to sell. But one thing is certain, nearly every Rapids fan would love to see him go. He's pretty much an absentee owner. He has done some good things, mind you, just not enough and it's starting to hurt the rapids.

4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me. :D

30Something, Jimmydinho and m vann repped this.
  5. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First off, to say he has to sell by 2014 is misleading because the deadline is Dec. 2014, so really the thinking should be does he have to sell by 2015.

Quick answer is no he does not have to sell the Rapids. The NFL blocks owners from owning NHL, NBA, or MLB teams, but they are allowed to own MLS, hence Lamar Hunt owning Wizards and Kraft owning the Revolution.

The true question is what will happen to Kroenke Sports Enterprises. Currently to make the NFL happy his son Josh is in charge of KSE and therefore is the head of the Nuggets/Avalanche/Pepsi Center. It seems to me the logical step is that by the end of 2014 Josh Kroenke will take over/buy KSE or setup a separate company and ownership of those clubs will be transferred to the new company. Then Stan would own the Rams and Arsenal but not the Nuggets/Avalanche.

The question is where do the Rapids fit into this? Well comments have been made over the past couple of years that the Rapids have been brought more fully under the KSE umbrella than they were in the past. The Rapids main asset to Kroenke is the stadium and the land around the stadium which he has been unable to fully develop. He probably really doesn't care about the Rapids at all. Therefore I think the plan is to lump them in with the transfer of the Nuggets/Avalanche to Josh Kroenke. Whether the stadium/land are part of that is another matter.

So the end of the long answer is: No he does not have to sell the Rapids, but I think he most likely will transfer ownership of them along with the Nuggets/Avalanche to Josh before the end of 2014.

6. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah, prove it to me!! ;) :D

Jasonma repped this.
  7. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting speculation you pose.

8. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    I appreciate the responses guys

9. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW you don't want silent Stan to even own your bowling team. He is the grim reaper of sport teams.

COMtnGuy, BYLRPhil and WJMarx repped this.
  10. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could it be that Josh ends up owning the Rapids, but his dad retains ownership of the The Dick and the land? And how do we feel about Josh as an owner as opposed to Stan? Or is there really no way to know?

11. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The rapids don't own the land so he could do whatever with team and still own the land.

12. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    I would love the city in which I live to have a MLS team and call me crazy but I think Stan might care more about a team in his backyard and home state than one in Colorado.

13. murphyskicks

murphyskicks Member

May 15, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Interesting thread... For the most part, I think owners of sport teams just have the teams as their little toys.
    But the potential upside of MLS franchises are just insane. I don't know for sure what the franchises are worth today, but I would think that when (not if) they break the growth curve and get that major TV contract, these teams will be worth 4-5 times what they are today. Montreal bought in for $40M and there are rumors of wanting $70 to $100M for the 20th franchise. I could imagine a situation where the Rapids are worth at least $100M in 5-6 years.

Does anyone know the current "worth" of the Rapids? How much did those new DC United owners have to pony up to buy into that ownership group?

14. jdub3379

jdub3379 Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something I've wondered that maybe someone can shed some light on: As MLS starts to make more and more money, wouldn't it eventually drag the Rapids finances into being profitable? Could that be the reason why we didn't lose as much money last season?

15. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Kroenke's "good" team just crashed out again. Ugly end of the game--both teams played poorly.