Does Bob Bradley deserve to remain manager?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by keller4president, Jun 26, 2011.

1. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    Bornstein, for one. He is awful.

2. CCSoccerFan

CCSoccerFan Member

May 2, 2009
    I see MB, Mrs. Bradley and one other family member voted...
    (3 - Yes, 23 - No)

3. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Were those players available, right now, in 2011 for Bradley to use?

4. CCSoccerFan

CCSoccerFan Member

May 2, 2009
    THIS IS THE WHOLE POINT!!! Those of us that have been saying BB has to go for 2+ years have been saying this... Of course, Sunil doesn't listen because he is "all-knowing".

5. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    "Deserve" has got nothing to do with it. Some rebuilding needs to be done, and Bob's really already done his rebuild project. Some fresh eyes and a fresh voice is needed.

Thanks for a good 2010 cycle, Bob, but we need to make a change.

And I really wish people wouldn't bring up the 2009 GC in making their arguments. That's completely beside the point (about as beside the point as beside the point could be) and only making your arguments look silly and spiteful. You can definitely argue that Bradley needs to move on without that tournament.

6. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    It is time for a change. We need a coach who can spot young potential for 2014. Bob cannot do it. He only knows what he knows and these players he has are getting older leading up to 2014.

We need a new coach and a new youth movement just like Mexico is doing. Mexico is at another level than the US right now and in order to keep up, we need to change coaches NOW.

7. Qamle

Qamle Member

May 2, 2004
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Woops, I voted yes because I misread the poll and just assumed it read 'should bob be fired'

So, subtract one vote.

Anyhoo, not to be knee jerk, I haven't liked this guy for years and seeing the increasing gulf with our program and Mexico's hasn't been sitting well with me for awhile.

What do we stand to lose if we try something new?

8. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Jeff Bradley - ESPN soccer writer :)

9. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Sigh, even I posted "No"...and I think Bob is actually a good manager with a good track record. But my feeling is that the program has stagnated, and we need to refresh the depth of the attacking players, and the entire defense outside of Timmy. IMO that requires a fresh approach.

Nothing against you Bob. I like you, your tactics, and your man management - but it's the nature of the job. It's time to go.

10. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    You'd be wrong. On the contrary, I'd say. Bob's no Adu-hater.

People wonder why I end up defending Bradley so much. Here I am saying that I think the time for him to go has come, and again here I am defending Bob against all sorts of criticism, some highly inaccurate or off-the-mark, some totally unreasonable, some completely baseless, some pulled out of God-knows-where... Seriously, there are good arguments to be made why Bradley's not the man for a rebuild job at this point.

And I do think a rebuild job is in order.

11. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, he had to work with a roster that included Jay Heaps in the starting 11 for the final. That debacle with the marginal talent on the roster really wasn't his fault.

That said, he shouldn't have been brought back for another cycle.

12. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Yep, I often feel the same way as you. It's akin to having an objective criticism discussion regarding President Obama, in a forum full of Republicans.

13. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    BTW: Another myth here needs de-bunking. Bradley is just about the last manager on Earth that's getting in the way of a "youth movement" on the US side. The guy has a serious track record for going with youth, and it's something he's continued this cycle and this tournament, even.

Fresh eyes and a fresh approach are definitely needed, but not someone who "unlike" Bob is going to bring in a bunch of young players. That's just way, way off the mark.

14. Spry

Spry Member

Apr 25, 2006
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I've always been a Bob Bradley supporter. But it's been too conservative for me at times. Time to bring on a fresh perspective.

15. cheedog

cheedog New Member

Jun 26, 2010
    The whole USSF system is flawed. Should Bradley go? Probably but who will they replace him with? Just another USSF guy. Soccer in this country is so fragmented that there needs to be reform.

16. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bingo. I am a change of coach every 4 years guy, so I wanted him gone after the WC. But if they signed him to another 4 years, I can't see him being fired on the heels of this GC.

17. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I think there's a good amount of coaches who'd enjoy the challenge. Home and abroad. One guy I'd have on my short list is Stevie Nicol. I also think I'd look to a South American before I'd look to a European coach.

18. BaltimoreYankFan

BaltimoreYankFan New Member

Nov 11, 2001
    Towson, MD
    Here's another that has ALWAYS bothered me about US soccer - why can't the damn managers dress with class? Why is it always polo shirts and track pants? I never trust managers wearing track suits.

19. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Totally.

And in both cases it's so damn frustrating, because as much as there's so much to want to criticize, you hardly get a chance to amid all the baseless character assassination, name-calling, lazy stereotyping, etc. that gets shot at the both of them. And, in the end, really very little genine sharp criticism that I think they're both so often deserving of. It's almost as if their virulent, emotional opposition are their most effective support... ;)

20. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    USA should kick Bradley out of the position. His management of tactics after going up 2-nil should be the final nail in his coffin.

21. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I definitely think we should keep him. You can't deny that we have improved.

Look... bringing in a new coach 3 years away is going to be troublesome, I tell you. Troublesome!

22. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The point is that most of our current back line cannot be effective against a good attacking team. Frankly, they were embarrassed today. This was shown in 2009 and in 2010. In my view, Gold Cup would have been a nice opportunity to bring in several backs and give them the opportunity to demonstrate potential...potential that can be more fully developed in the next 3 years. Some of the current group is simply going to get older and slower in the next three years.

23. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    I completely agree. Next manager needs to wear a suit at every game. I hear Phil Jackson might be available.

24. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its unnerving too. In a thread where there are numerous legitimate reasons to move on from Bradley we get the crazies spouting about nepotism and misjudging Adu's talent.

25. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    It doesn't make a difference who the manager is when the real problem is a lack of talent.

Our #1 problem is a lack of quality defenders. Only Bocanegra and Cherundolo have proven themselves capable of holding down a starting position in a top five league (i.e. Premiership, Serie A, La Liga, Ligue Un, Bundesliga). None of our other defenders would even be on the Mexican roster...

Now is that really the manager's fault? He can only work with the talent he is given, and our defensive talent level is mediocre. Firing Bradley ain't going to change that...